Does RCI have age restrictions for infants?

Hi everyone (Hi Don!)And yes, there are certain cruises that do not have children onboard and that is the only way to guarantee no noisy kids.

-Bonnie

There are really not many adults only cruises anymore, particularly on the moderately priced lines. We tried to find one for our 15th anniversary, but really had no luck. We went on HAL and had a great cruise. I know there were some kids on board, but not that many, all were well behaved, and we had no wild teens or rude or drunk adults for that matter. I'd recommend HAL for anyone looking for a more quiet type of cruise eperience, although even HAL has been trying to appeal more to families lately.

You were really lucky to have such a great sleeper. My my, a newborn sleeping more than 3 or 4 hours, I just cannot even imagine. My first child slept through the night pretty well after a couple of months, but then she would NOT take naps and pretty much cried off and on all day and into the evening. In retrospect I have to wonder if she didn't have a physical ailment, but her doctor diagnosed her as having "mild colic.' MILD colic, I'd hate to know what severe colic is, lol.

Don:

Something I found online...they do make bottle sterilizers so that they don't have to be boiled

-Bonnie

Or the new parents could just use the Playtex Nurser System where they could just drop in a fresh liner whenever needed....no need to sterilize. They are great.

AND, maybe the mom will breastfeed...then there will be even less to take. That's what I did onboard and it sure beats making bottles in the middle of the night. ;)

A friend told me about Hylands. Many Hispanic kids get colic, something some women on a train, who were Hispanic, told me AFTER we adopted our two Hispanic babies. Not that it would have made a difference. They told me about Hylands. All four of our boys had a bout with colic, but the oldest two had it really bad. You could set a watch by Steven. He'd start at 7 every night and end right at 10.

Interesting. Our now nearly 21-year-old adopted Hispanic son (3 weeks away :) ), was also the colicky-could-have-set-a-clock-by-him type. Wonder if they even made those pills when he was only months old. He also slept at least 6 hours a night from 8 weeks of age on (thank goodness!).

To the OP: Sounds like you're daughter will have plenty of extra hands to help out (and to help carry all the extra stuff she'll need to bring), and to enable her to get some rest, too. Perhaps more help than she'll get in any one day at home. As long as the baby's pediatrician has no big objections, it should be a wonderful, memorable vacation for the whole family! And your daughter is due before final payment is due, so even if you go ahead and book now, she would have a few days, at least, to change her mind without incurring a penalty, should it appear that going might not be the best thing to do.

Congrats to the upcoming new parents, grand parents, aunts and uncles!

Jodi

Don, it sounds like you have a great family cruise planned. :)

I didn't read every post, but scanned them, and I think you got some of the advice I would reiterate...mainly, that it is impossible to predict how easy/hard it will be to travel with an infant prior to his/her birth. And secondly, God forbid, if the child is premature or has other health issues, then cruising at a very young age is NOT a good idea.

That said, with an extended family support system, and (HOPEFULLY) an easygoing infant, a cruise would probably be a much-needed BREAK for the proud parents. My child at that age...I couldn't take her out to DINNER, much less on a cruise, colic was rampant, no way could I subject anyone else to that...but she's 13 now, has 8 cruises under her belt and many more in her future. :D

All the best to you and your family. :)

You were really lucky to have such a great sleeper. My my, a newborn sleeping more than 3 or 4 hours, I just cannot even imagine. My first child slept through the night pretty well after a couple of months, but then she would NOT take naps and pretty much cried off and on all day and into the evening. In retrospect I have to wonder if she didn't have a physical ailment, but her doctor diagnosed her as having "mild colic.' MILD colic, I'd hate to know what severe colic is, lol.

Severe colic is what my parents went through with me. For the first 3 weeks of my life, I would sleep at night (though not all the way through the night), but I would cry and scream duing all of my waking hours. Of course, they discovered that I was allergic to the formula and had to put me on soy formula. Then that didn't agree with me either, so they had to change to a different type of soy formula. My mom said that after that I was like a different baby and started sleeping through the night at that point, and no more screaming during the day. My parents told me that I actually had laryngitis by the time I was 3 weeks old, and they had never heard a baby cry with a hoarse voice before that. I'm so sorry my parents had to go through that with me. My son had his moments the first 4 months or so, even though he slept through the night at 6 weeks old. Think I was lucky to have such a great sleeper? My niece Amanda started sleeping through the night at 10 days old, and continued to do so until this day, and she will be 3 years old next month!

I have read all of the posts both positive and negative.. My friend is getting ready to book her cruise for my wedding. I am getting married on the Explorer of the Seas in November.. I suggested that before she book, that she contact her pediatrician and inquire if it is ok for her 3-4 month to come along.

However, my concern is not her baby being upset about change but him catching the virus that sometimes break out on the boat.. Is anyone concerned about that?

However, my concern is not her baby being upset about change but him catching the virus that sometimes break out on the boat.. Is anyone concerned about that?

It could happen, and with a young infant, that would be a potentially devastating event. But that could happen ANYWHERE, as the norovirus is found everywhere. Cruiselines are just the only entity required to report it. If the parents practice diligent hygiene, the little one will be just as protected as on land - that means probably okay, but no guarantees.

My son is 28 and has never slept through the night (oh, and I'm not kidding!!!)

Some of those early years, were days from hell...

He just got married, went on a honeymoon cruise and talked about people on board with "crying babies." He just said...."why do people take babies on a cruise? they were screaming their heads off!!"

Yes, my dear son....this is why you never went on vacation at that age and think of those crying sounds if you decide to have babies!!!

It could happen, and with a young infant, that would be a potentially devastating event. But that could happen ANYWHERE, as the norovirus is found everywhere. Cruiselines are just the only entity required to report it. If the parents practice diligent hygiene, the little one will be just as protected as on land - that means probably okay, but no guarantees.

That isn't necessarily the case. People are more likely to get sick away from home than at home. The reason is people tend to develop an immunity to the viruses and bacteria that they are in normal contact with. When you travel, you come in contact with similar viruses and bacteria, but they may be slightly different (mutated) to get by your defense system. I've come home sick or gotten sick within days of returning home after a vacation, but I normally do not get sick at other times. Good hygiene will help with some pathogens, but airborne viruses will still get through. That is why I have heard that airplanes are the worst offenders for passing airborne germs because of the recirculating air system.

That isn't necessarily the case. People are more likely to get sick away from home than at home. The reason is people tend to develop an immunity to the viruses and bacteria that they are in normal contact with. When you travel, you come in contact with similar viruses and bacteria, but they may be slightly different (mutated) to get by your defense system. I've come home sick or gotten sick within days of returning home after a vacation, but I normally do not get sick at other times. Good hygiene will help with some pathogens, but airborne viruses will still get through. That is why I have heard that airplanes are the worst offenders for passing airborne germs because of the recirculating air system.

Yes, I cannot count the times I've ended up with a cold after flying on an airplane.

My son is 28 and has never slept through the night (oh, and I'm not kidding!!!)

Some of those early years, were days from hell...

He just got married, went on a honeymoon cruise and talked about people on board with "crying babies." He just said...."why do people take babies on a cruise? they were screaming their heads off!!"

Yes, my dear son....this is why you never went on vacation at that age and think of those crying sounds if you decide to have babies!!!

Ditto, ditto, ditto!!!!!! We severely curtailed our activities when our son was born. He was a cryer, and we never wanted him to disturb others in restaurants, stores or other close environments. He was the baby from hell... :-)... who has turned into the most wonderful child and now adult. We didn't travel with him until he was 3 years old. After that point, he became the best little traveler ever. He would walk around and talk to other people. Once, he even asked a lady to please stop her baby from crying. Needless to say, we were very embarrassed. I apologized to the lady and promptly got the heck out of there. ... lol

Congratulations on your new grandbaby!! How exciting for you :) :)

I didn't take my kids on their first cruise until they were old enough to remember it (they were 6 and 9 at the time), bu t I remember being surprised at how many babies there were onboard. The ones with just the immediate family (mom, dad, baby & other small kids) did not seem to be enjoying themselves one whit. But...the ones with extended families were having a great time.

A lot will depend on the health and temperament of the baby, things you won't have a clue about until after the birth. So, the whole thing will be one big :confused: until next May.

If you do book, don't forget cruise insurance, you'll probably have to buy it for the infant, too.

Another thing (why hasn't anyone thought of this?) the baby will need a passport! S/He will have to apply mere days after birth!

I wondered about the passport too while I was reading all this stuff.... If my pediatrician said it was OK, I'd probably travel with my little one, but booking a cruise so close to having the baby? (Ok, I know, you are talking about 2 months) Just the worries as to what if it's a preemie? Complications? What if at 2 months you are still in the "sit and stare at what I wonderful living creature we created and the heck with the rest of the world" phase?

Even pediatricians vary on whether a newborn should go out or not those first few months. Since there is no age restriction by the cruise line, this is one of those things that you, as the parent of this soon to be little person, will have to decide what is right for you and him/her/it.

Me? No, I wouldn't. Too expensive a choice when I know I would be just as happy to do a land vacation that's wouldn't require me to do a lot of traveling.

Another thing (why hasn't anyone thought of this?) the baby will need a passport! S/He will have to apply mere days after birth!

Good point! I think it takes about 2 months just to get the certified copy of the birth certificate, at least in Texas. The notification of live birth that the hospital issues is not valid documentation for a passport. Our insurance company for work was requiring a copy of the birth certificate to add a baby to a parent's insurance coverage. The problem we kept running into is the insurance company wanted the copy within 30 days of birth, but the parents weren't getting copies until around 6 weeks. The insurance company finally agreed to accept the hospital notice temporarily until the birth certificate arrived.

I'm sure someone has taken their baby to Europe (which currently required passports) at under 2 months of age and can provide insight.

Don

First of all congratulations on the upcoming birth of your new grandchild from a fellow long islander.

I find it very amusing that all you did was ask if there were any age restrictions for cruising and the responses you received were all about personal opinions on why an infant should or mostly shouldn't cruise.

As long as the pediatrician said it was safe for the infant to travel on the cruise and RC doesn't have age restrictions, don't worry about others opinions and go for it. With all of the family support on the cruise I'm sure a good time will be had by all.

Hey, maybe your next post should ask if there are any age restrictions for infants at the late dinner seating. :eek:

Hope you have a great cruise!

I think that it would be a great idea to have age restrictions in the dining room for second seating. Since I do not have young children it would be great not having to deal with loud, screaming babies and children running around in the dinining room. Yes, it does happen alot because working in a restraunt I see it many times daily. We do sometimes also have loud and obnoxious adults but not many.

Archived