Just Back from Elation

82Strat

Hello everyone. Not a lot of time to write a full review - this will follow at a later time...but let me say that I had a great time. Jorge and Big Sexy (Cruise Directors) are excellent, the food was good (not great, but very good), ports were very good, Top Shuttle rental service Fort Lauderdale Airport to Miami Port and back was very good, Captain Nautica Snorkeling...EXCELLENT, shows were good, night clubs...so - so, not enough dance music (seemed like it was either rap or salsa every night --- they had 70's night at the disco one evening and it was mobbed, you'd think they would get an idea that it was popular???), ship was in very good condition, very smooth and rooms were nice.

Oh yeah, we rented a car in San Juan and travelled to the rain forest. This worked great and we had plenty of time for the trip.

Feel free to respond if you have any questions and thanks again to everyone for all of the advice.

Strat

Hey Strat,

I will look forward to your review as we will be on this sailing in 5 weeks. I'd like to know more about that shuttle service. I sailed on the Paradise which is the sister ship to the Elation but I don't remember which was newer. Glad to hear she is in good condition.

I have been wondering about the gym/workout facilities...did you see them?

How are the beds/bedding?

What shows were good?

Where did you do the snorkeling?

I'm sure any advice/information you give will be appreciated not only by me.

Thanks on advance...

Hey Strat,

I will look forward to your review as we will be on this sailing in 5 weeks. I'd like to know more about that shuttle service. I sailed on the Paradise which is the sister ship to the Elation but I don't remember which was newer. Glad to hear she is in good condition.

I have been wondering about the gym/workout facilities...did you see them? We worked out in the gym the first three mornings. If you get in there before 7:00, no problem with finding equipment, but it did look like it was filling up when we left at 7:30. They have 6 treadmills, 3 stationary bikes, nautilus machines, stair stepper, weights, etc. Very nice room. Ignore the closed doors. One morning everything was shut and a sign on the door said not opened until 8:00, after standing their perplexed for a few minutes, we pushed at the door...it opened, we walked back the corridor and found several people already working out and the manager there greeting us. No idea why the sign was up and didn't ask.

How are the beds/bedding? Great, Carnival's new mattresses!

What shows were good? Pretty much all of them. Did not see the "R" rated comedy show, but the comedians "PG" version was good. The Motown Night was excellent, Elation show band very good and the Elation Dancers were likewise good. Juggling Act - do not miss this. Very funny and talented.

Where did you do the snorkeling? Captain Nautica on St. Thomas. Fantastic trip. High speed boat (twin 250 horsepower motors) allowed them to go to farther away islands. Lots of fun "jumping" the waves. The ride was almost as good as the snorkeling. We had two very nice snorkeling areas all to ourselves. They were a bit pushy with the tips at the end of the trip (let's see 20% of $1,050 (14 people in my group) would have been $210? I don't think so.), but otherwise that was a very, very minor tarnish and they still earned a very nice tip from all of us. I would highly recommend this excursion.

I'm sure any advice/information you give will be appreciated not only by me. Advice...arrange your excursions ahead of time - even if you are going to use OBC to pay for them. We wanted to do some extra things in Grand Turk and they were all sold out by Tuesday.

Try the made to order omelets. Excellent. Pizza is very good if you get it fresh from the main oven, if pulled form the case next to the counter, only OK. I was not impressed with the Deli.

Quiet lounging on the back deck. Outdoor band, although good, was waaaay too loud for me on the main deck area. Had to scream to those next to you to hear each other. Yes, I'm 42 and loosing my hearing a bit, but still too much for me.

That's the biggest things I can think of at this point in time. If I think of anything else, 'll let you know. Otherwise, feel free to ask me anything else.

Thanks on advance... You're very welcome, I miss it already. Strat

Oops, forgot to answer your question about the shuttle company. Someone else mentioned them to me a while back. They have a web site, just google Top Shuttle Miami and you should be able to find it. For 14 people, the cost with private van and trailer for luggage was $155 each way from Fort Lauderdale to the Miami terminal. That worked out to about $22 per person instead of the $40 per person I would have paid for the Carnival transfer. The driver was very nice and it was good to go on our schedule, not when the bus filled up. He met us at the baggage terminal in Fort Lauderdale with a sign, loaded our luggage and was very nice the entire time. Well worth the cost. Strat

Archived