Should I bring my baby backpack?

my2sons

We're cruising to Alaska next week and I just have a feeling that the baby backpack (for transporting our 7.5 month old) might be a handy, albeit bulky, item to have.

I've never been on a cruise before, so I'm not really sure what to expect - are the decks crowded during particularly scenic moments, like cruising through glaciers or spotting whales? If so, I'm thinking that it might be easier to maneuever with a backpack than a stroller.

And what about shore excursions? Obviously if we want to do ANY light hiking at all, off of sidewalks and streets, we'll need the pack. But what about the usual attractions - are they all pretty accessible or would having the baby in a stroller limit us?

We are sailing with my 5 month old, and I decided to skop my stroller and just bring my sling since we are tendering in most ports (fos) the stroller seemed like a mess with tendering. I say if the baby likes it go for it! It will be worth it I am sure. I am not sure how big your baby is, but evenflo has a front and back carrier, I have not used it, but It is a soft carrier so it woukd be smaller and not expensive, it was 20.00 at walmart.

Good luck

Kim

We cruised with our baby (7 months) in April and my baby bjorn was a life saver. We also traveled to Hawaii this past summer and again it was great. You can strap them on and it frees your hands to do other things. My daughter hates to ride in her stroller. She likes to be up high to see everything.Bring it'

'

Julie

I am also bringing a sling, maybe that's enough. I don't feel I can skip the stroller, though, as I'm counting on him napping in it regularly!

We got the backpack out, I'm going to try him in it and see how we like it.

We're cruising to Alaska next week and I just have a feeling that the baby backpack (for transporting our 7.5 month old) might be a handy, albeit bulky, item to have.

I've never been on a cruise before, so I'm not really sure what to expect - are the decks crowded during particularly scenic moments, like cruising through glaciers or spotting whales? If so, I'm thinking that it might be easier to maneuever with a backpack than a stroller.

And what about shore excursions? Obviously if we want to do ANY light hiking at all, off of sidewalks and streets, we'll need the pack. But what about the usual attractions - are they all pretty accessible or would having the baby in a stroller limit us?

Hi

We're debating the same thing for Bermuda - which carrier/s to bring: ring sling, Bjorn, Snugli, frame backpack and whether to bring the SUV stroller for naps (Graco quattro). We're definitely bringing the little Cosco stroller. In Alaska I can tell you that no, the decks are not that crowded during scenic moments but yes, on shore excursions a stroller would probably be hard to maneuver. We tendered in Ketchikan but if your ship is at the dock then you'd probably use a stroller there if you're just staying in town. In Juneau a backpack would have been great for the trail to get close to the Mendenhall glacier (you can see it from the stroller friendly visitors center but the trail takes you right to the lake). The couple that had their 9 month old at Mendenhall had their Graco Quattro. Skagway has one main street with boardwalks, very crowded, backpack or sling would be better, and if you take the railway excursion a backpack or sling would be my choice too (we actually rented a car and drove to the Yukon territory - but that would require a car seat, etc).

If your child can fall asleep in a stroller, bring it.

Don't try to deviate too much from the baby's routine. Pretend you are taking the baby to the mall, what would you bring with you? If you normally bring a stroller with you to the mall, I would bring one on the ship.

Although the hall way of the ship is wide enough for 2 strollers to pass each other, but if a service cart is parked outside the staterooms in the morning, it's a hassle to manuver the stroller through the hallway. So bring an umbrella stroller or a reclining stroller that is narrower. Don't bring Peg Perego. We had a Combi Convenience Stroller and it was the perfect width and our kids fell asleep easily in the stroller if it was their nap time.

If you or your DH likes hiking and normally hikes with the baby on your back, bring the baby backpack. If you do not normally carry your child in a Baby Bjorn or a baby backpack, don't bring it. The long hours of carrying your child in a backpack or baby bjorn will kill your back.

We went to Mendenhall Glacier at our first stop in Juneau with my sister's family. She had a child in a stroller and another one (6M old) in a baby backpack. Her husband and her are out-doorsy people, but after a bus ride to Mendenhall and a 2-hour walkabout, and another bus ride back into town, I believe his back was killing him that night. On the other hand, we had 2 strollers with us and we were able to walk around the Mendenhall paths with the strollers. If there were steps, we just folded up the lightweight strollers (no more than 14lbs) and carried it up the steps. So bring a good backpack (to put diapers, extra change of baby clothes, formula, snacks, water, sun screen, etc...) instead of the regular diaper bag when you are visiting ports with your stroller. I was able to shop quite a bit in Skagway. DD fell asleep in the stroller. I just put a light parka over the stroller and he was able to sleep in relative darkness and away from the brisk air. Our Princess ship was able to dock next to the pier, so it was easy on and off the ship.

Of course, for serious hiking, it's easier with a baby backpack, but if you just want to walk around at the 3 ports in Alaska (Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway), bring the stroller. All these are American cities and everywhere there are wheel chair access paths. When there is wheel chair access, there is stroller access.

There is a considerable amount of walking in those 3 ports, so a stroller is a good idea.

I would not go cruising with kids under 4 without a stroller, especially if the child still naps.

If you go to the observation deck during the scenic cruising, there are plenty of space for the stroller. It's crowded, but there are plenty of wide open space on the ship for others and your stroller to co-exist.

We took 2 strollers with us on every one of our cruise.

BTW, before you take your stroller, wash the wheels to make sure the wheels are clean. Once the wheels are dried, spray some Silicon spray (you can get that at Home Depot easily) so your stroller's wheels can move easily.

If you are used to using it and you and the baby both love it, then bring it along. You won't regret it. Otherwise, the stroller and the sling will do. My son loved the backpack carrier, but it was never comfortable for me or my husband, so I just wore the sling all the time. And the stroller was handy for carrying my stuff, LOL! :p

I agree that it depends on your baby and he likes the best. We brought both when our daughter was a toddler. She loved the backpack and would stay in it forever without fussing, but would want to get out of the stroller right away. However this was to be expected because she was never a big fan of the stroller at home.

The backpack was the best, my husband carted her everywhere in it, we have great pictures of him climbing up and down pyramids with her little head sticking out of the backpack!

The backpack was the best, my husband carted her everywhere in it, we have great pictures of him climbing up and down pyramids with her little head sticking out of the backpack!

Now I'm just dying to see one of those pics with the little head sticking out!

Archived