Stressing out and feeling sad

maf101

I'm stressing out and feeling a bit sad. I keep worrying what if I don't like the ship? what if I hate it and I'm stuck on the ship for two weeks? I keep thinking lots of stupid things. It's very strange because I love sailing. I think I'm missing my sister.

In 2001 we went on a family cruise on the Sky. One of my sisters whom I was very close to had Cancer. The cruise was her dream and she had a wonderful time. She died a few months afterwards. She was only 21. The cruise is the last memory I have of my sister being well.

Half a year later we went on the ship again to celebrate my mothers 50th. It was my idea. I thought it would help us feel better and move on with our lives. During the entire holiday I felt guilty for having fun and sailing without my sister.

I know a long time has passed but I think I associate cruising with her. I don't know what to write now. I hope you don't mind me sharing my sad little story.

I'm stressing out and feeling a bit sad. I keep worrying what if I don't like the ship? what if I hate it and I'm stuck on the ship for two weeks? I keep thinking lots of stupid things. It's very strange because I love sailing. I think I'm missing my sister.

In 2001 we went on a family cruise on the Sky. One of my sisters whom I was very close to had Cancer. The cruise was her dream and she had a wonderful time. She died a few months afterwards. She was only 21. The cruise is the last memory I have of my sister being well.

Half a year later we went on the ship again to celebrate my mothers 50th. It was my idea. I thought it would help us feel better and move on with our lives. During the entire holiday I felt guilty for having fun and sailing without my sister.

I know a long time has passed but I think I associate cruising with her. I don't know what to write now. I hope you don't mind me sharing my sad little story.

Thank you for sharing your situation. You have obviously got the cruise bug like the rest of us - I'm sure your sister would want you to keep cruising. There are so many different cruises and different ships - you have the opportunity to make each one special.

Have a lovely holiday - make the most of it.

Tim

You will have a great time, I know how you feel, my husband passed away a few years ago and sometimes in certain places or times the memories can be overwhelming.

Go and enjoy yourself that is what your sister would have wanted - have a drink for her as she is definately there in spirit, and I shall be waving to you as you get off the boat as I am next!! So I had better see a Big grin from you!!:)

Luci

Thank you for sharing your situation. You have obviously got the cruise bug like the rest of us - I'm sure your sister would want you to keep cruising. There are so many different cruises and different ships - you have the opportunity to make each one special.

Have a lovely holiday - make the most of it.

Tim

Hi Tim.

Thank you for your kind words. What you say is very true. My sister would want me to keep cruising.

The cruise bug. At least its not sea sickness!!!

Michelle.

You will have a great time, I know how you feel, my husband passed away a few years ago and sometimes in certain places or times the memories can be overwhelming.

Go and enjoy yourself that is what your sister would have wanted - have a drink for her as she is definately there in spirit, and I shall be waving to you as you get off the boat as I am next!! So I had better see a Big grin from you!!:)

Luci

Hi Luci. I know what you mean about some places been overwhelming. We moved state to get away from it. We kept running into people who knew her and they'd ask where she is. It all became too much.

I will definitely wave back if I see someome waving. I'm sure I'll grin even though it's usually sad to get off the boat knowing it's your last stop.

Have a great holiday!!!! The last two weeks seem to go very fast. I can't believe it's almost the 16th.

Michelle.

Hi Michelle,

Have a great time. I know it is not easy but I'm sure your sister would want you to enjoy your time. I also cruise with my family and it was my Nan who got me into cruising. She & my Grandad were cruising for years and I always remember the stories they would tell.

Unfortunately I never got to go on a cruise with my Grandad, he died from a heart attack when I was 16. But not one cruise goes by that we don't talk about him and how much he would enjoy cruising with the extended family. One cruise we had 9 of us on a 10 seat table and it was discussed at most meals that the extra seat was for Grandad.

Don't try to do the cruise without thinking about your sister but rather enjoy the time and remember her. Maybe you should set aside some time to just sit on a deck chair and reflect on her in a positive way. Don't focus on all the things she missed doing but spend the time remembering all the great things you did together. I don't know what it is like to lose a sister (I have 2 sisters and a brother) but I do know the pain of losing people that are close to you.

You know your sister better than any of us and I am sure you would know and can still hear what she would say to you. I'm sure that none of us could even put it in words any clearer than you yourself, but I am sure it would be to live a full life. Don't let her death hold you back and make sure you decide to enjoy the things you did together.

I pray that you will enjoy the time and that there will be a renewed excitement. Take her photo with you if you think it would help or leave it at home if you think that would be easier but whatever you do be true to yourself and the memory of your sister. Try to do someting different and experience some new things so you can start the new stage of your cruising life!!

God Bless,

Charmain:)

Unfortunately I never got to go on a cruise with my Grandad, he died from a heart attack when I was 16. But not one cruise goes by that we don't talk about him and how much he would enjoy cruising with the extended family. One cruise we had 9 of us on a 10 seat table and it was discussed at most meals that the extra seat was for Grandad.

My father died when I was 16. It is a difficult age to lose someone you are close too. I was lucky enough to go on a cruise with him. We talked a lot about him in the lead up to the 2001 cruise.

It is lovely you can openly talk about your Granddad on a cruise. I hope we can do something similar.

My dad died a couple of years ago aged just 62 from asbestos-related cancer. He loved cruising. Mum still cruises and simply says "I know he's still with me and enjoying it as much as I am". Just think of your sister that way. I often think "Dad would have loved this" when I'm away but know full well he's looking down on me.

It's a pity Dad never got to cruise on the same ship as me (I only started working for P&O after he died) but Mum comes on board when I am working on the relatives travel program and loves it. She even got invited to the bridge for sailaway by Captain Hutley when we were in Dominica earlier this year and was really looked after by the crew when I went down with flu and was confined to cabin for a few days.

Mum and Dad used to cruise on Thomson. Now I'm not pushing the competition here as I know exactly the same thing would happen on P&O but a few months after Dad died (he was actually booked on a cruise when he passed away but wwas too ill too travel) Mum went back to their favourite ship. I got in contact with the cruise director, explained what had happened and just asked that people be a bit sensitive with Mum as Dad was the sort of passenger that staff would remember (for all the right reasons I might add) and I didn't want people asking where he was as it might upset Mum and spoil the cruise. The cruise staff went out of their way to make sure Mum had a good time and she certainly did. When I picked her up from the airport she was smiling for the first time since Dad died and regaled me with stories from the cruise all the way home. Yes, they are the competition but credit where credit is due.

Archived