Cruising w/8 month old

Mama2006

I will be cruising in September 2006 with my 8 mon. old daughter. Any suggestions on packing for her? I use powdered formula. What about water to mix the formula with?:)

Not sure what cruiseline you are on, but I know that the purification on the RCCL ships is top notch, and that is what I plan to drink and use for mr 5 month old's cereal if I need to. You could also grab a couple of gallons of water on the way to the port if you are more comfortable. Just bring water off the ship with you whn you are in port!

Kim

I cruised with my 7 month old in April. We also used powdered formula. I just used the filtered water from the cruise ship dispensers on the lido deck. You can get hot or cold water but the hot is really hot so watch out. I mixed half hot with half cold and it was perfect temp. I called the cruise line (RCl) to verify it was filtered. I brought a mini dish soap and bottle brush and washed bottles in the cabin bathroom sink.

Some great packing tips,

Rayshade canopy extender. We put this over the stroller canopy during ports and dinner. We had late seating and she slept right through dinner reclined in her stroller with the canopy covering it.

hats to shade from the sun

garage sale/dollar store toys you can leave/throw away( anything can be a toy though we gave her plastic cups to play with)

I brought my own babyfood jars/ cereal, disposable bibs/spoons, plenty of diapers/wipes/medicines(tylenol pediacare rash ointment) etc.

they provided a pack n play but not sheets for it. Bring your own sheets/blankets.

I also brought an infant carrier (baby bjorn) it helped to free my hands to help carry luggage and she loved walking around in port like this.

They have high chairs on deck and in the dining rooms.

We did bring a car seat but never used it, taxis didnt have seat belts.

We just did beach excursions and used hotel facilities/bathroom/pools ask at the pursers desk they have great suggestions for families.

We didnt hit any shows but we could have because she slept in her stroller. We trioed to keep it pretty much the same routine as at home.

Good luck, we had a great time! We are cruising again this fall and now she will be a year and mobile, we'll see how that goes.

Julie

On Princess I just used water from the tap for my twins' powder formula. Some of the cruise lines will also supply baby food and baby cereal (Princess does, and I've seen it mentioned that someone else does).

Julie already gave you great packing advice - espcecially with all the sun-safe items, which is hugely important. I didn't bring a car seat, but I did bring a bouncie chair and used it constantly while we were in the cabin. Also, I just taped a label onto a box of diapers instead of trying to pack them all (though you'd be amazed how many you can fit into the outside pockets of luggage). Just be sure to bring more than enough.

I found that disposable bibs were a huge help.

Have a great time! Cruising is a great way to travel with baby. My 1-1/2 year olds are going on their 2nd voyage next month.

Best,

Mia

Archived