St Maarten - Creole Rock v Pinel?

feistytigger

Do a search on this board regarding diving in St. Maartin.

The diving is the roughest diving I have done in the 20 years. Between the rough seas and the surge below, we found none of the sites enjoyable.

Bummer. You must've been there at the wrong time. I've heard lots of good things about Creole Rock, Pinel Island, Dawn Beach, and a couple other places. But I have heard you have to cross your fingers and hope the ocean behaves for you - but that's true of pretty much anywhere.

Anyway, I've read lots of reviews on both Creole Rock and Pinel, but I want to know which one someone who had been to both would choose. I have yet to read that info.

Hope you have better luck in the future!

Since there has been no answer here, try the St Martin board at www.traveltalkonline.com Creole Rock and Pinel are on opposite sides of the island, so typically only 1 of them should be rough at a time. It's about 15 minutes between them.

Thanks! I did some more research using Google about the two, and it sounds like Creole Rock is better for snorkeling. Pinel's advantage is that it's quieter.

I know you are looking for a comparison of the two, but I wanted to add my input on Creole Rock. After reading several positive reviews, we decided to snorkel here in March 2006. We went to Grand Case Beach Club and took a small boat over to the island (i think this was about $15 per person - because we already had our own snorkelling equipment). This price also included a guide. (we had 5 people in our group)

Sorry to be a downer, but the snorkeling was not great. As well, the current is really strong (and I am a really strong swimmer). If you decide to go all the way around the "rock" make sure you continue onwards and do not try and turn around and come back the way you came. I tried this and was swimming at full speed against the current and I was barely moving. Very funny to watch i'm sure. Two of the members of our group had a really difficult time going around the "rock".

However, it was a really nice way to spend the day, and we had a great meal at the restaurant. The staff were very friendly!

I know you are looking for a comparison of the two, but I wanted to add my input on Creole Rock. After reading several positive reviews, we decided to snorkel here in March 2006. We went to Grand Case Beach Club and took a small boat over to the island (i think this was about $15 per person - because we already had our own snorkelling equipment). This price also included a guide. (we had 5 people in our group)

Sorry to be a downer, but the snorkeling was not great. As well, the current is really strong (and I am a really strong swimmer). If you decide to go all the way around the "rock" make sure you continue onwards and do not try and turn around and come back the way you came. I tried this and was swimming at full speed against the current and I was barely moving. Very funny to watch i'm sure. Two of the members of our group had a really difficult time going around the "rock".

However, it was a really nice way to spend the day, and we had a great meal at the restaurant. The staff were very friendly!

Oh my! Do you know if the current is always so strong? I read Pinel is very calm. I'm VERY concerned about currents! Thanks so much for the warning.

our guide for the day (jacques) told us the current comes and goes very quickly. when we first entered the water there was no current ... and ten minutes into snorkeling, the current was really strong. if you are going with the current, no problem ... but eventually you need to turn around.

Archived