Save Money if Buying Own Snorkel Equipment

legalwife

Now is the time to check out the Walmart if you are an infrequent snorkel person like me. They are marking down and I bought two sets without fins today and each came with mask and tube - no fins but I will rent those as they are big to pack anyway - and I paid $15.00 each marked down from $25.00. They are silicone and will work just fine for us.

I know they sterilize and all that, but I am peculiar and like my own tube and mask. THIS year I won't let our boys use it in our pool and let them just ruin! :( I will be keeping these in "Cruise Central" storage area for the future.

Just a tidbit.

I was thinking about doing this. Will most places have fins & life vests to rent if you have your own snorkle? Do they charge you less to do so? Also, is there anything I should look for when buying? I have only snorkled once before, but plan to do so multiple times on my first cruise!

While these may do in a pinch, they don't always 'fit' properly. For infrequent use, may be ok. I speak from experience, as I was trying to go the cheapest route for my first snorkeling experience.:rolleyes: Bad move, but we live and learn. I had a slight panic attack when the water kept seeping in.

If the mask doesn't fit you properly, and leakage occurs, it can make for an unhappy experience. Same with the snorkel itself. I finally invested in a GOOD snorkle and fitted mask. It's amazing what a difference it makes.

Yes, most places do rent the fins and vests. I always rent fins wherever I snorkel. Usually each piece (fins - vest) are around $3-5 to rent, depending on the dive shop.

Kel:

I have done this three times (hence the note on storing them away from kids!) and mine have worked great. I don't buy the cheapest set and the silicone definitely works best. I have used expensive equipment that was borrowed and this type. Expensive is better but not worth the dollar for my usage. I am not a frequent snorkeler and do use the equipment 3 or 4 times a year and it works great for us. If we went more often, I would spend more and you can definitely do that on this type of equipment, but if you only use it infrequently, buy decent but not el cheapo or you may have problems. If you plan on using it alot, invest more money for better equipment as previously stated by Cotton.

We do rent the vest and fins and have had no problems with those so far.

I have only done P & O cruises where you hire your snorkel equipement for the duration of the trip. Would it be the same with princess crusies? We are going for 19 days. Any idea on price?:confused:

I went to a dive shop for assistance and found that pretty much any mask they had, from the cheapest to the most expensive, fit me just fine (lucky bone structure?), so I decided to take my chances and order a dry snorkel, mask & fin set (with nylon backpack!) from Amazon.com for $45.00. It just arrived last night. The mask doesn't have the range of peripheral visibility of some of the more expensive ones I've tried, but it's comfortable, fits well and is fine for someone who hasn't yet committed to doing a lot of snorkeling. Even if I were to trade up to a better mask (which I'm already considering), $45.00 is still a good deal for the fins, snorkel and backpack.

if you take a snorkel excursion they will supply you with whateve you don't bring.. including vest and fins.. its all included in the price so no need to pay to rent anything unless you are going off on your on

if you take a snorkel excursion they will supply you with whateve you don't bring.. including vest and fins.. its all included in the price so no need to pay to rent anything unless you are going off on your on

My only caveat would be that some excursions (such as ours to Virgin Gorda) simply involve locations that provide opportunities to snorkel, but aren't "snorkeling excursions" per se. For those, you would usually need to pay extra for rental.

Archived