Mornignstar Beach

pinkaboo

pinkaboo... Morningstar Beach is just around the corner from the Havensight docks, probably less than a mile. We stayed at the Mariott-Frenchman's Reef, which is on the hill looking down on Morningstar, one time pre-cruise, and we could see the cruise ships docked at Havensight from our balcony. Just guessing its around five minutes by taxi. Hope this helps!

So Morningstar is close to the cruise ship port of Havensight? I think that's where our NCL ship will dock. Is it a nice beach? Do they rent chairs and more importantly UMBRELLAS? How is the entry to the water? easy?

We definitely do NOT want to go to a popular beach, because 3 cruise ships will be in the day we are there! My other choices are Emerald Beach, Secret Harbor, Turtle Cove, Hull Bay and Cowpet Bay. Any suggestions.

Thanks!

mypyr... The Morningstar portion of the Mariott is on Morningstar beach (a small, low-rise building and some small cottages, along with a swimming pool, tennis courts, and a little restaurant/bar). I've only been there once a few years ago and we only stayed at the Mariott two nights, so I'm going on memory here, but the beach was semi-crowded, partly because the Mariott guests were there, and also because its not a huge beach. There were chairs and umbrellas and floats available, but I can't remember if they were for guests only, or if you could rent them as well. The beach itself was not one of my favorites... It was a little rough the day we were there (may have just been the weather that day), so the water wasn't very clear. It reminded me a lot of an East Coast U.S. mainland beach, to be honest.

I've also been on Emerald, which I thought was much nicer and a little quieter - except its across from the airport, so you get a little noise from the planes coming and going, but not bad at all really. The Emerald Beach Resort is there, so there were chairs on the beach and a bar & restaurant, but it wasn't nearly as crowded as Morningstar, the beach seemed cleaner and the water calmer.

Also been to Magen's, which gets very crowded, but there's lots to do there. We usually go over to St. John, which I highly recommend, so I'm less familar with the other St. Thomas beaches. Hope this helps a little... Have fun!!

3 cruise ships in town is not bad. During peak season there can be as many as 6 in town! :eek:

Morningstar belongs to the Marriott Frenchman's Reed Hotel and chairs, umbrellas, and the pool area are reserved for hotel guests. We stayed there for a week 3 years ago and I recall seeing signs regarding that. Morningstar has some waves but they're not very high -- maybe 1 foot, if that. The drop off into the water is not gradual. I'm 5'9" tall and when I stepped in the water it was just above my knees.

I have photos of Morningstar: http://lrichters.smugmug.com/Travel/162954

It's not a very good snorkeling beach. If it's snorkeling you want, then I'd recommend Secret Harbour. Hull Bay is not associated with a resort and therefore has no facilities. It's easy to get a cab to drop you off there but I think you'll need to make arrangements in advance for pickup. Cowpet Bay was just OK. It was not one of the prettiest beaches we'd seen on our vacations to St. Thomas, though. It's associated with a condo community and everyone anchors their boats just off the beach. If you searched this forum for Emerald/Lindberg Beach you'll get some feedback from folks who've visited there. Overall, everyone's reports have been positive.

If you want a nice beach that will not be too crowded, check out Cinnamon Beach on St. John.

When ships are in port the "good" beaches can be crowded. Three ships is not considered a heavy load of tourists by us Locals! Hull Bay is not what I would consider a lovely beach, rocks and very little sand the last time I was there. Cowpet is described above, not really a tourist beach. The only beach that I am aware of that has rental umbrellas is Coki. Magens has shade from trees. Morningstar as described above can have rough water and it is not as clear,pristine as the water at either Magens or Coki. That is why they are the better choices for tourists. There is plenty of room at Magens for lots of people!

Enjoy:)

B.

Archived