cave tubbing hike ?????

tazdeb

Most of the research I have done on cavetubbing mentions a 45 min hike through the jungle. We will have my rather active 70yr old dad with us. Is this hike strenous? Can someone please describe it to me. What else on the excursion is rough? Thanks for your replys....TAZ

Hi, We just got back from our cruise and went cave tubing with cave-tubing.com. The hike is approx. 45 minutes depending on the people in your group and how fast they can go. The path is wet and slippery in places, and very rocky and uneven in others. There are some rock "steps" in a couple places. There is one place where you have to walk across the river and the bottom is very rocky there and if the water is high the current makes it a little hard to walk. I would suggest you have him wear old sneakers instead of water shoes as they might give more support. Once you are in the water, if you are with cave tubing.com they hook everyone up as a chain and they do all the paddling for you. If you book through the cruise line they send everyone down one at a time and you have to navigate your own path.

It is a great excursion and we highly recommend it. You will all have a great time.

Hope this helps.

Tina and Kenny

Hi...just got back from cruise on the Enchantment, and we booked our own tour with X-Stream Cave Tubing. We really enjoyed it, but it might be a bit rough for your dad. It's a fairly long and bumpy drive to the cave system, though our van was air conditioned, and our guides quite interesting. Once there, you are each given a tube, life vest and head light. The walk to the caves was about 40 minutes, on a pretty flat path through the jungle. You do have to cross the river to start, and the current is pretty strong, and can be a bit slippery. There was a rope strung across the river for you to hold on to, which helped. Our guide told us to jump in and cool off before we started the walk, and the current was strong enough that you had to work at staying put. Once we got in the tubes and started floating, it wasn't just a lazy float...you had to manuever a bit to avoid the rocks. Again, it was a lot of fun, and I guess it just depends on how fit your father is. Good luck!

Hi, We just got back from our cruise and went cave tubing with cave-tubing.com. The hike is approx. 45 minutes depending on the people in your group and how fast they can go. The path is wet and slippery in places, and very rocky and uneven in others. There are some rock "steps" in a couple places. There is one place where you have to walk across the river and the bottom is very rocky there and if the water is high the current makes it a little hard to walk. I would suggest you have him wear old sneakers instead of water shoes as they might give more support. Once you are in the water, if you are with cave tubing.com they hook everyone up as a chain and they do all the paddling for you. If you book through the cruise line they send everyone down one at a time and you have to navigate your own path.

It is a great excursion and we highly recommend it. You will all have a great time.

Hope this helps.

Tina and Kenny

We are going 10/01 on the Miracle and you answered better than anyone on the 'walk' thanks for the door advice too.

We did cave-tubing.com last Tuesday and I have to agree with tl&kcl. old sneakers are better and it shouldn't be that strenous. As long as you have some sense of balance everything is fine. My wife broke her foot last fall and is very cautious walking up and down stairs and did fine. And if you mention to the guides your concern, they will help watch out for him and probably even carry his tube if need be.

I can't speak for any other tour operator but with cave-tubing.com, you don't do any work once in the water. As long as you don't have a bad back because its a very bumpy ride in the bus, you are fine.

Doug

The walk would be like a trail at your local park. It is well worn with a few ups and downs. The guides are helpful. If he is willing, they will assist where posssible.

We went with Nacho and Cynthia. They use the parking area at Jaguar Paw Resort. That put you closer to the jumping off point. Our walk from the place to pickup the tubes to water's edge was about 20 minutes. There was a public parking area farther back the road. I think that's a 40 - 50 minute walk. Also the curise lines go to another location.

i went and did some cave tubing that was hosted by two brothers that were great., the name of thier company is www.***********************

i set it up with them 4 months ago and they sent me info on where to meet them at the dock and they were there on time waiting for me and the other 2 couples that were also going cave tubing.while 3 of us were waiting for the last couple tim took us for a small tour of the city area and showed us around then when word came that the other couple were on the pier we went back to pick them up ,, so after driving for about 30- 40 min we turned onto a dirt road and went to the cave tubing area (this is the same spot all the tours go to ) the best part about our group is that there were only 5 of us (not like the carnival groups of 30 or more) after walking thru the forest for about 45 minutes Tim asked us if we wanted to walk about 10 more minutes and that we would be able to go thru 2 caves instead of one so we all said sure, when we got there we were able to jump off a small ledge and into the 25ft of water and then get on our tube., which was nice as we were able to get our bodys wet instead of just the part that sticks thru the tube(lol) if you want to book this one they make sure you get back to the pier in time and they even stopped to get us some lunch at a local place which they ask you if you want to get lunch for a couple more bucks , well worth it so go ahead and e-mail Dennis Perez at www.*********************** make sure you tell them that robert from mass. sent you ... (hi Dennis and Tim)

We're also looking into private tours for cave tubing. My question is . . . about that jump off of the ledge you mentioned - are we talking major height? Thanks!

With cavetubing.com there was nothing to jump off of.

Doug

8/92 Monarch of the Seas

3/93 Mardi Gras

3/03 Victory

8/06 Glory

I'm not into EITHER option of getting into the river. :eek:

Are there other tour companies besides cave-tubing where you just walk in?

Does anyone know how Nacho and Cynthia's tour gets into the river?

Thanks!

I didn't think there was anything dangerous with cave-tubing.com. We sat in a tube and they pulled us across the river to start. Then after we walked some more, it was time to get into the water. We held onto a rope as we basically fell back (or sat) in a tube.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
We're also looking into private tours for cave tubing. My question is . . . about that jump off of the ledge you mentioned - are we talking major height? Thanks!

We just came back and we went with cave-tubing.com and we had the option of climbing up at the end and jumping in. It is about 10-12 feet off the water and myself - out of shape late 40's, my daughter 16 and my son 12 all jumped it was a blast. With a little luck a photographer will be there to take your picture, if not see if someone who is ahead of you will take your picture.

Most of the research I have done on cavetubbing mentions a 45 min hike through the jungle. We will have my rather active 70yr old dad with us. Is this hike strenous? Can someone please describe it to me. What else on the excursion is rough? Thanks for your replys....TAZ
What ship are you on? We are also thinking of doing cave tubing and found a tour that DOES NOT require walking the 45 minutes. Its 5 minutes from the parking lot down to the river, then 5 minutes walk back to the parking lot. Its called Jungle river tubing and Mayan tombs. I'm on NCL but they offer it independently through Roaring River Adventure Tours.

What ship are you on? We are also thinking of doing cave tubing and found a tour that DOES NOT require walking the 45 minutes. Its 5 minutes from the parking lot down to the river, then 5 minutes walk back to the parking lot. Its called Jungle river tubing and Mayan tombs. I'm on NCL but they offer it independently through Roaring River Adventure Tours.

The jungle river tubing is not the same thing as the cave tubing excursions. The cave tubing requires a hike and tubes through a cave system. The jungle river tubing excursion is a float down a river, not a cave system.

I looked up the Roaring River Adventure Tours web site and also the RCCL excursion description. Its the same tour. The Roaring River Adventure Tour ibooked directly is cheaper, but I don't know if it includes transportion from the port to the river. The river is a 1 1/2 hour ride from the port. The discription on the Roaring River site is geared toward tourists staying in the Belize area. All together its a 6 1/2 hour excursion. Check your timing carefully. Also, if you want cave tubing...this is not it.

Hubby and I really enjoyed cave-tubing.com. Yhoni and his staff really took care of us and he carried someone's tube who needed a little help.

The rope is not a big deal, basically you turn around, grab the rope, and lower yourself into the tube. It is much easier than what it sounds and beats jumping into the tube.

Archived