Help! Which deck? Twin or queen?

newrivercruiser

Help!

We are currently booked on the upper deck of the Casanova with twin beds. There is a french door that opens. We are going September 16th for 7 days down the Rhine.

We can switch to a queen cabin on the lower deck and save $1,000 (this should more than cover drinks, tips, surcharges, etc.).

Can anybody offer any opinions on why we wouldn't switch? It's our first (and maybe only) European river cruise but I'm not opposed to spending ship time on the Sun deck or in the lounge.

Thanks for any input.:confused:

Here is my two cents on cabin location. We went on a Vantage Amsterdam to Budapest river cruise last year. We booked a cabin on the bottom deck and saved quite a bit of money. We found that we were in the cabin only to shower, change clothes and sleep. Thougt we would save the money for other things. If that trip would have been the only river cruise we would ever do and if we had the funds then why not go for the best cabin. Next May 8th we are going to China and once again for the Yangtze cruise part we booked the bottom of the boat. Willard

We did not do any sightseeing from our cabin, because you don't want to see only one side of the river. The best sightseeing is on the Sun Deck where you get a 360 degree view if weather permits, or from the lounge, where at least you see 3/4 of the view. The benefit of the French doors is so you can open and let in some fresh air. We had a window that did not open on the lower deck and because the air conditioning worked so well we did not mind a bit.

Consequently, I would opt for the cheaper lower deck. However, if you are a very light sleeper, and if your cabin is in the bow or stern, you may hear some thruster or engine noises. We were in the bow area and heard thruster noises when going in or out of locks. However, we quickly got used to the noise and it didn't bother us at all.

I agree with the two previous posters. Having cruised Budapest to Amsterdam last year on the Poetry, in the least expensive lower cabin, that the additional cost for a window that will open, especially in Sept. when it may be cool, is not worth it to me. The Casanova appears to be a two deck boat, and windows on the lower deck appear to be quite large, you may be just as happy with a lower deck cabin and use your savings to pay for touring. I believe that shore excursions are not included on Deilman cruises, as they are on most of the other river cruisers. We have again booked the least expensive lower deck cabins for our Rhine and Mosel trip in Oct. on the Avalon Tapestry. Same size,same food , same tours. savings are $1596 to $ 1996 per couple

Archived