read this if you are traveling with kids

minnie75kids

I had asked in a previous post on this board if passports is all I need for my children to travel to Bermuda. My concern was that passports do not show parents names, and I was worried that they may require birth certificates as well to show parentage.

Most said just a passport, but this is what I stumbled across. I think I will bring BC's with me anyhow.

http://www.abriggs.com/high_level/travel_w_minors.php

Interesting for sure. I understand the documentation when only one parent is traveling alone with the child. Curious though about their other recommendations. Maybe I am stupid, but what is the reasoning? Not very logical or is there something I am missing here?

Why are we required to have passports if we also have to travel with birth documentation???

Dh and I are adoptive parents. Our dd has a passport. The child travels with both of us together. In the state of Georgia, when the adoption is finalized, a new birth certificate is issued with the new parents names. So what would THAT prove to an immigration official????????????? Which goes back to why should I have to travel with the ORIGINAL adoption decree.

Do you travel with your baptismal certificate? Do you travel with your marriage certificate???

I think the reasoning is that if you have a passport for a child it does not show the parents names on it. It only shows the childs info. So I guess they could question whether the adults traveling with the child are indeed the parents?

I'm really not sure. I am taking passports only. I do not want to travel with my children's BC because they have Consular Birth records and you are only allowed one copy. So if something were to happen to them I would have a difficult time replacing them.

Was just speaking to dh about this and he said, "What, they want us to travel with a whole filing cabinet?" Passports are good enough for us.

We took dd out of the country before we had custody, BUT with a court order from the judge overseeing her case. No one, even though she still at that time had a different last name, ever asked to see any proof other than her birth certificate. :rolleyes: But you know if we hadn't had it, they would have wanted it. :eek: Never even questioned the different last names either.

I have 3 kids and we got them passports specifically so we didn't have to carry BC's on a trip to Turks and Caicos three years ago. We also cruised with them in the Caribbean last year before the new passport regulations hit. We've never had a problem just having passports for the kids. We even use them on domestic flights as ID. They just make things go quicker.

Yes, I really think the BC is overkill. I was going to bring them at first 'just in case' but i have since changed my mind. We have traveled with the kids numerous times and have never ever been asked anything. I have my passports and tickets and we are set to go. BC's are staying home!

I was going to post a new message asking this question but since some of you have experience with passports (and, interestingly, some issues with BCs) I have another question: I have planned a surprise cruise for my family next October. How much time do I need prior to the cruise to spring the surprise on them so I can get passports? I don't think they'll buy the "We're going to the post office to get passports just in case" excuse!

Thanks,

Curt

Passports generally take a couple months (officially 6 weeks) at minimum to get. I hope you're talking about October 2007. My wife and kids had theirs in like 3 weeks. Mine took more like 8 because I had a previously issued passport from when I was 14 or so that could not be located.

Info at http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/processing/processing_1740.html

If you're flying somewhere between now and then, you have the perfect excuse with the tighter security lately ... Just say you heard passports really help speed things up even on domestic flights, so you're getting them for that reason.

If you're not going somewhere between now and then, you should start the process by August 1st at the latest just to be sure.

Thank you, Jersyjk. I wish it was 2006, but the cruise is in 2007. Hopefully, by then, the airport waits will have passed. Unfortunately, I'm the only one that flies and I don't think they'll buy into needing a passport for trips from Indianapolis to Dallas, so I'll probably have to make the surprise a few months early.

Thank you again for your help!

Curt

Do you travel with your marriage certificate???

Actually yes I do. This has been talked about on the RCCL board. Who was asked and who wasn't asked for a copy of both the bc AND a marriage license.

In my travel documents, I always keep a copy of the bc, marriage license, driver's license (for the airport) AND the passports.

No problem for me to carry them and then I never have to worry about being questioned.

Thank you, Jersyjk. I wish it was 2006, but the cruise is in 2007. Hopefully, by then, the airport waits will have passed. Unfortunately, I'm the only one that flies and I don't think they'll buy into needing a passport for trips from Indianapolis to Dallas, so I'll probably have to make the surprise a few months early.

Thank you again for your help!

Curt

I would give them about 3 months to get their passports, just in case anything goes wrong. The wait times are currently running at about 6 to 8 weeks - if everything goes right. As you said, it's a surprise so you can't check to see if they have the proper birth certificates or marriage licenses, etc so to prevent delays messing up your surprise give them plenty of time to get those passports.

Archived