What to do with Oscar

adios

I am thinking about contacting Oscar for a trip I'm taking next spring. I was wondering if you could give me some ideas of things we can do and answer some questions.

1. I know that he takes you to see some sloths and to the canals. Is there a fee to get on the boat in the canals, or is it included in the $45--(that's the price, right?)

2. I've read about this restaurant that everyone says is good (El Forno--or something like that, hillside). How fancy is the food? My family is more of the "chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes" group, and after going to their web-site, we are a little concerned that the food maybe to fancy. What about price?

3. How is the banana plantation? Is it boring?

4. What are some other things we could do with Oscar during the day? Don't really want to drive another hour to a sloth sanctuary.

5. Should we make it a point to go to the market?

6. Any other ideas???

Thanks!

You won't be sorry booking with Oscar. Oscars prices are per person, and depend on how far you are going or how long you will be gone. He tries hard to undercut his competitors.

Did not do the canals so can't tell you if there is an extra fee.

Restuarante Al Faro (or Elfaro) is the name of the restaurant he takes people to. It has the most magnificent view towards the harbor and overlooking the town, as it is high on a mountainside. The food is as fancy as you wish, and really inexpensive. You will be dressed just fine in your shorex clothes. Expect hot and humid.

A cold beer there is like 80 cents U.S.

The banana plantation is fascinating.

Have him take you down the coast road to the resort (can't remember the name) from which you can get on a pontoon boat and take a narrated tour down a rain forest river. The ship offers this at a much higher price.

The market might be fun.

You can be as adventurous as you want on Oscar's tour. We did the zipline through the Rain Forest and had a wonderful time. We stopped and met a sloth up close and persoanl as well as a monkey, Rosita. I got to hold Rosita and have her climb all over my head and shoulders. We went to a Bananna plantation which was very interesting. We saw the workers process the banannas from the stalk to the shipping crates that they leave from the plant. Oscar took us through town, stopped at his sisters house and met him family, took us to the restaurant for pictures. We didn't have time to eat as our ship was late arriving in Puerto Limon. He will take you any where you want to go. I wish we had time to stop at a local grocery store to shop. I bought some wonderful coffee at the market near the pier. I think you could get it cheaper in town. I would just ask Oscar about things like that. We will use Oscar again when we are back in Puerto Limon. He waited on us for over 90 minutes when our ship was late. We hadn't paid any type of deposit with him. He had a group from the Brilliance that was on the same tour with us. He could have left with them and forgotten about us. I was very impressed that he waited on us. Happy sailing to you .... and if you book with Oscar tell him Colleen said hello.

Hello. We finally got in contact with Oscar, and will be doing the same tour as Driftwoodgal. I can not wait until December!

Oh by the way, do you remember how much you paid for the coffee?

I can't remember how much we paid for the coffee, but I think it might be cheaper at the stores. Ask Oscar he might have an idea what they charge in the booths there near the pier, or run into the stalls and price before you leave on your tour;) We bought some of the Vanilla and Hazelnut blends to mix with our regular coffee here at home. I miss the coffee that we bought:( It was wonderful. If DH hadn't been around I would have bought more.... Tell Oscar Colleen said howdy.... He is really is a wonderful person. He goes out of his way to make your day special in his country. Wish we had lots here in the states that go the extra mile that Oscar does.

Khuff..... where did you get your avitar? I have a dog and cat boarding kennel.... I want an animal for my avitar.... please let me know where I can get yours......Please!

Colleen

Driftwoodgal, thanks for the info on the coffee. I will have to get back to you on where I found the avatar. (my boyfriend knows the site). I will let Oscar know in Dec. that you said hi.

Elcruzer,

Oscar does not have a website. You can try to contact him by email, but that doesn't always work. He gets your email but Puerto Limon has trouble getting them out at times He does have a cell phone, but I would suggest you buy a phone card from Target, Walmart etc as it is cheaper than using your local phone company. Here are the contact numbers for Oscar Brown.

email:cbrown@costarricense.cr

cell phone 011 506 758 1881

home 011 506 350 6415

I would try his cell phone personally. You will be getting off of the Brilliance and we will be boarding her as you leave. We sail on January 24, 2005. The Panama Canal trip is wonderful, I want to do it again at some point.

Khuff7,

I would love to hear from you about the avatar site. You can email me through my webpage at http://www.driftwoodkennels.com when you go to our contact page it links to our email. Thanks for helping out.

Colleen

Hi Everyone. Glad I found this site! My Ed and I will be doing a Panama Canal

Cruise on Holland America's Rotterdam, 11-12-04 and will very likely call Oscar!

This is why I Love these boards.

Driftwoodgal, aka, Colleen...What kind of kennel? Dogs or Cats. Breeds?

I used to live in Nassau Bay near the Space Center between Houston and Galveston back when my late husband worked on the Space Race Program.

It was certainly an exciting experience to participate in the first landing on the moon! I still have one son living in Texas.

I have just found an interesting web site for annimations. It is:

http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations

There are some cute downloads, some free, that you may like.

Hello. We finally got in contact with Oscar, and will be doing the same tour as Driftwoodgal. I can not wait until December!

Oh by the way, do you remember how much you paid for the coffee?

Hi KHUFF7,

You can buy coffee at the vendors near to the pier (a little more expensive) or you can walk up to the super Mercado (supermarket) in town which I did on my visit to Puerto Limon after a trip with Oscar Brown. The price for Cafe Britt (Costa Rica second best coffee) is around $3.50 per 12oz bag and decaif is around $4.50 12oz (on the Island Princess you can purchase on board at $99 for 20 bags combo but the decaif is a dollar extra and they will ship to your home). At this store they have other brands also.

Walk pass the vendors and the building right after it to the street. Cross the street and walk straight up bout 2 1/2 blocks. Turn left here and walk about 1 1/2 blocks and the supermarket right corner (very nice and modern). If you are uncertain just ask the security police outside the building. It is not too bad of a walk and I was glad I did.

Good Luck.

PS. You will enjoy your time with Oscar.

khuff7,

Some of the premium coffees that we bought at the vendors near the pier had some vanilla, hazelnut, and one other that I can't remember but do miss that I no longer have any of it:mad:. Great coffee! You will have a great time with Oscar wish I was going with you... Please remember to tell him I said Howdy, and hope all is well with his family.

Colleen

Ooh! ;) sounds great. I am defintely going to have to leave room in my luggage for all of the coffee I will be buying.

I will defintely tell Oscar you said "hello". I can not wait until December. It seems so far a way.

- :) Kristin

• 1 month later...

Hi Oscar! We can not wait to arrive in December. We have only heard good things abouot you and your country! :) Please post any information about your country that might be good for us to know. Thanks, Kristin

:) Glad to make your acquaintance!

We will be in Puerto Limon on the Holland America Ship ROTTERDAM on Nov. 19th. Arrive at 6 AM. leave at 5 PM. What would you say we should not miss seeing? Post your email, and we can write. Thanks!

Has any one done both the Tortuguero Canals and Sloth Sanctuary? We'll be on RCI's Brilliance in December and I think we're in port for 12 hours. Wondering if we have time for both.

Thanks in advance!

Sinbad,

Oscar can not post his email to you per the rules of the CC Board. I can post it for you to contact him by his email or his cell phone. Email is iffy in Pureto Limon at times. If you were trying to get in touch with him quickly, I would buy a phone card and just call him. It is cheaper to call him with a phone card from Walmarat or Target. It cost me a bunch when I used my home telephone.

Email cbrown@costarricense.cr

Phone home 011 506 758 1881

cell phone 011 506 350 6415

Iszu,

I would think that you could do both if you were in port for 12 hours. Maybe Oscar will read your post and answer it for you. We ziplined and did a plantation tour.

If I had the choice of a ships tour or an independent I would choose the independent 9 out of 10 times. I think you get more for your money with an independent. The only place that I would use the ship tours is if we were in a port that I didn't feel safe. Good luck with your cruisse.

• 3 weeks later...

I am really looking forward to our day with Oscar. We will be on the 12/28 sailing of the Coral Princess and will be in Costa Rica on December 31. Right now we are traveling with a group of 10 and have booked Oscar for a day of ziplining and sightseeing. Thanks to this site, I have booked with Oscar

I think I want to zipline with Oscar. If we choose this event what else will we be able to do? I also want to see the Banana plantation, Sloth's and a little site seeing. No need to see the canel as we will do that in Colon.

Any suggestions????

• 1 month later...

Archived