Tipping on Crown

1337mom

Auto tipping does sorta defeat the purpose of what tipping is all about.

You tip in a restraunt as part of your cost of eating out, waiters most of the time make a minimun salary. It is accepted that you tip at least 15% or even more and that is the system. Why is the cost of service not just included in the meal? Who knows. In a good restraunt one should expect good service or simply do not return. Management will either pay to get better servers or face less business. However that is not the way it works and on the Cruise ship, auto tipping is managements way of getting the consumer to pay for part of their salary.

I guess MHO is I do not complain when they charge the 15% for our drinks, so we are ok about the Auto tipping? Yes

However, I will tip addional for better service and I agree that it does work. Room services is a good way to start, they all talk. Also when you ask for things from your room steward we give a tip. It does not have to be a lot several $'s really does mean a lot.

Since this is our first time on Princess, your opinion's on tipping for PC dining has been helpful. CB on Sept 2

this is going to fun

I never remove the autotip; I just tip the way I always did for the people giving me the service. I view the autotip as nothing but a "surcharge" never really seen by the staff, like the gratuities tacked onto the bills of a catering hall.

If you really want bang for the buck, lose the envelopes--it cuts out the palm to palm passing of the bucks. And don't wait to the end to spread it around. As the line goes in Hello Dolly aka The Matchmaker--Money's like manure; you have to spread it around before it does any good.

Never went on a cruise where the service wasn't stellar.

I never remove the autotip; I just tip the way I always did for the people giving me the service. I view the autotip as nothing but a "surcharge" never really seen by the staff, like the gratuities tacked onto the bills of a catering hall.

If you really want bang for the buck, lose the envelopes--it cuts out the palm to palm passing of the bucks. And don't wait to the end to spread it around. As the line goes in Hello Dolly aka The Matchmaker--Money's like manure; you have to spread it around before it does any good.

\\

I could not agree more. It feels good and it makes the good help smile. They do not forget a face.

I know if I tip a little more while sitting at the bars, it makes a diffrence

There ya go !! And you don't have to convince me they remember you either:)

I talked to a bar server in the dining room and he explained it to me like this. He said that if you auto-tip all that money is pooled and divided to each employee. The Cabins Steward gets like a larger amount per day and then the people under him(ie:laundry, supplies, room service) less. People he depends on. Then the same with Dining. The waiter gets more the assistant waiter and there on down to all the behind the scenes workers. If you remove the auto tip they are aware and then when you give an envelope the Steward and Head Waiter have to report your cabin # and how much they received and then that money is pooled. The Waiters and Cabin Steward know how to work this to their advantage. They will keep some and hand in the rest. That way they do not get in trouble. I think the best way to do it is to leave the auto-tip in place and if you want to give extra get the envelopes or just hand your waiter or steward extra money. Then it is theirs to keep and if they chose to give any to help that has helped them then they can do that for you. It's all like one hand washes the other. They all work together pretty much. Then they are happy and it makes their jobs easier. I believe in giving extra for good service. I also believe these people work so hard and work long hours. On the Crown I was told by several employees that they never get a day off. Just several hours every day(3-4).

If they feel sick they have to go to the doctor. They can't just wake up in the moring and say I want to call out today. They are hard working people who always manage to be so nice. So happy just to meet all the travelers.

I wish I could give them much more a times. They just want to get ahead in life too.

When we go aboard and meet our steward, we give him/her $40.00 right away. You’ll be very surprised that what ever you want or ask for, is there right away. If the cruise goes very well, we give then another $40.00 on the way out. Short money for extremely good service.

My husband & I were traveling with 3 children so we split into two seperate cabins served by 2 diff stewards. I had read the CC boards filled w/recommendations like the above so I handed $30 cash to our steward as soon as I saw him. My dh hadn't read the boards & it never occurred to him to "pretip". Well, between the two his steward gave outstanding service (even slipped us some special treats supposedly reserved for minisuites). He was always smiling & chatting with the kids as opposed to mine who was very good, no complaints, just not as friendly or out going. Sooooo, that pretty effectively demolished the whole bribing = better service argument!

BTW, we did give both extra cash at the end as well as leaving on the autotip since they both did good jobs, one just seemed to "like" us better. Your service might just depend on the personality of your steward not your tip - some are more outgoing & chatty and some are just more the quick, efficient, get the job done type.

OK, I really did try and read all these posts, but I'm getting a headache from the arguing, so please just tell me Largin.

I never take off the autotip and I always have (in the past anyway) given more to my room steward. Does he get to keep all the money (tip) or does it go into the "pool" of staff members.

Sorry if I'm repeating a question already asked, but this tread is getting really old fast.

PS...... I trust Largin. He knows what's going on on the Princess boards. :D

I agree...but then again I'm not one to have a lot of special requests. I hope that my room is made up in the morning, and turned down in the evening. That's it, that's all.

Since I didn't smuggle any alcohol, I don't need any ice. :rolleyes:

I don't understand people who think bribery is noble. Chances are they'd get the exact same service even without handing out $40 when they meet the steward.

For me, the steward fades into the background, much like the room attendant at a hotel (I stay about 70 hotel night / year)

As for the waiter, I know they're taken care of with the autotipping.

What I like with autotipping is that tipping is taken care of. I don't need to concern myself with it.

At all.

If they want to make it $15 / day.....so be it. Just having one less thing to worry about makes it all worthwhile.

As for the poster who feels so good making it "personal"....remember that to these workers, you're just the person occupying the room this week.... most of the time they'd have no clue who you were, if you returned a month later... :eek:

If the autotip wasn't sufficient, then they'd be hard pressed to staff the ships...and they aren't.

I just had to respond to the end of your post because it is very nieve. These cruise companies are not hard pressed to staff their ships because many of the workers are foreign and work on the boats to support their families back in their home lands. The price that they pay of being able to make more money on a crusie ship comes at the expence of not being able to see their families for 6 months at a time. They make "x" amount of dollars as their normal wages, however, the majority of the money that makes these jobs worthwile is from the extra tips. I have first hand knowledge as I worked on a Celebrity cruise on a 6 month tour when I graduated college 7 years ago.

I will be cruising to hawaii on Sept 21st, I will leave the auto-tip on and I will tip both the cabin steward and head waiter $50 each on the first night and explain that it is my honeymoon and tell them if they take care of my new wife and my every need I will take care of them at the end of the 2 week cruise. I will bet the tips that I give them that the service I receive will be miles above "MR. X" who is sitting next to me who decides to remove the auto tip..... Just my $.02 from experience

We always give an extra tip.

I think the crew know what kind of person tips and one who doesn't.

Our waiter paid more attention to us than others that he served....

He paid attention to our likes/dislikes.

He didn't charge us for corkage. Other diners were charged.

He would stop taking orders and would run up to shake our hands good night.

On the last night, we were watching to see if the waiter was given anything extra. People in our area did not hand the waiter anything. Not even a "thank you".

After dinner we were saying goodbye to our waiter who was serving salads to a party of 12. He stopped what he was doing at which time we were able to hand him his tip. We asked were his assistant was since we wanted to give him his tip as well. He was in the kitchen. Our waiter ran to get him. The people were looking at us since some were still waiting for their salads.

If you are a tipper the crew will know...They will go out of their way for you...

If you're not....Well..............

When we go aboard and meet our steward, we give him/her $40.00 right away. You’ll be very surprised that what ever you want or ask for, is there right away. If the cruise goes very well, we give then another $40.00 on the way out. Short money for extremely good service.

I totally agree. We are going on the 9/3 sailing on the Crown and we plan to do the exact same thing. I am leaving the automatic tips on (it's a deal for 10 days) and definitely plan to give extra the first night to our steward. We have anytime dining and said if the service is great each night, we would always leave an extra tip each night to the waitstaff. I think some people take for granted sometimes that these people bust their buts to make your cruise a success.

IMHO, I'm a tipper, good or bad service, so the auto tipping is fine. However, I do like to recognize and get excellent service. The wife and I will be going out on the Crown in November for a back to back two week vacation. In order to "insure" we have good service, I will hand the CS a $50.00 the first time we meet him/her, and tell them that it is in "addition to their regular tip, so that they may enjoy one of the ports of call." And although we will be using "anytime" dining, I'll also slip a $20 into the palm of the Maitre D' the first night out when he seats us. Why? Because he will both remember us and let his staff know. It may not be a guarantee of "excellent service" but it certainly will go a long ways, simple human nature. I also give room service people a few dollars when we use room service. Again, common sense. At the end of the cruise, I will again take care of the CS with a little something and the Maitre D'. But by that time, I'll be willing to bet up front, they have earned it. When you consider that they are tagging you 15% on your bar bill automatically, and that you would (or should) leave a 15% tip at the IHOP for breakfast, what you tip on a 7 day cruise is minimal at best. These people work for peanuts AND TIPS...give them their tips. :)

I couldn't have said it better myself! Enjoy your cruise! I will be on the Crown this Sunday, Sept. 3rd!!!

We tried to get traditional seating several months prior to the cruise and were unable to get off the waitlist. When we arrived on board the CP, we went to the Maitre'D and requested an 8:15 reservation in a dining room (were assigned to DaVinci) every night at the same table with the same wait staff. It was like traditional dining - as we entered the dining room, we were able to go through the "reservations" line and immediately be seated at our table. In the "without reservations" line, passengers were sometimes given a pager which would go off when their table was ready. Our wait staff were very personable and we enjoyed our time with them. Next cruise I'll probably request traditional when I book the cruise. I enjoy getting to know the wait staff throughout the cruise and appreciate their service on our behalf.

Archived