Walking in KeyWest??

parrotthead

HI! For those of you that know KeyWest...am I correct in my guess that walking is the best way to really see the town..(OldTown area) I know there is the Conch Train and another 'sightseeing tour' but I am more interested in (saving the $25pp) and seeing things at my leisure instead of driving past and being 'told this is this and that is that'...I think we want to do the Hemmingway House tour...and see the Southernmost Point, Mallory Square, JBs Margaritaville, Captian Tonys, and places like that...are these within walking distance of "Pier B"? What do ya think? Anything else we should pack into our day...(we are in port from 10:45am-appx 5pm)

Thakns!:)

You will have plenty of time to see old town. Pier B is right by Mallory Square. You will start your walk at 0 Duval and you just keep going down.

Hemingway House is located in the 900 block of Whitehead Street. So from Duval just cut over one block to the right. Southernmost Point is at the end of Whitehead. I live down here so I'll try to answer your questions. Have a great time in K.W.

Cool...Thanks JM...I was looking at the Trails of Margaritaville walking Tour...sonce Im such a Jimmy Buffett fan...and will want to have a cocktail at Margaritaville, but dont want to actually eat there (I think the food is the same at all of them, but will go just to go)

Can you suggest a place (or a few) to have a bit to eat that is maybe a bit local..or are all the places very "tourisit-y"?

I have always wanted to visit KeyWest...it has always been on of my 'places to go before I die'..so Im so delighted to be going...and want to cram as much fun as I can into my time there;) :p

All along Duval, which is where Margaritaville is located, there are numerous restaurants catering to every manner of taste and price point. As you walk along Duval, you will probably find something interesting.

You can also walk over to the Schooner Wharf area and find restaurants there too that have a waterfront view. There are also others along Front Street. One near Mallory Square is El Meson de Pepe which specializes in Cuban cuisine if that appeals to you.

Cool...Thanks JM...I was looking at the Trails of Margaritaville walking Tour...sonce Im such a Jimmy Buffett fan...and will want to have a cocktail at Margaritaville,

We will be doing the Trails of Margaritaville tour at the end of the month. We are in port from 9-2, so we are doing one at 10am. This is a b-day gift for my son for his 8th b-day! His father is a big Buffett fan (I am also, but not as much as my husband!), and in the last year, my son has really been listening to his music, and wanting to know more about JB, so we thought this would be a great gift, since the cruise is a week after his b-day! He is also getting tickets to go his first concert....Buffett at Madison Square Garden!!

I will post and let you know what we thought of the tour!

Terry

We will be doing the Trails of Margaritaville tour at the end of the month. We are in port from 9-2, so we are doing one at 10am. This is a b-day gift for my son for his 8th b-day! His father is a big Buffett fan (I am also, but not as much as my husband!), and in the last year, my son has really been listening to his music, and wanting to know more about JB, so we thought this would be a great gift, since the cruise is a week after his b-day! He is also getting tickets to go his first concert....Buffett at Madison Square Garden!!

I will post and let you know what we thought of the tour!

Terry

Hi Terry...Please do...I am sure ya'll will have a great time, and I cant wait to hear about it!

So, your "keet" will get to go to his first concert?..What fun, my ''Keets" have grown up on Buffett music...(they are 17 and 18 now)

...be forwarned Buffett concerts can get kinda risque':eek: ...but, it is all in fun and my girls did just fine, you as the parents just have to keep you eyes peeled for 'situations' that you may not want him to see and distract him or steer him in another direction when you notice some thing you dont want him to see;)

...every one will be so nice and friendly...he will never forget it...my girls still talk about their first JB concert!

~~~Phins up~~~~:) :cool: :)

Hi Terry...Please do...I am sure ya'll will have a great time, and I cant wait to hear about it!

So, your "keet" will get to go to his first concert?..What fun, my ''Keets" have grown up on Buffett music...(they are 17 and 18 now)

...be forwarned Buffett concerts can get kinda risque':eek: ...but, it is all in fun and my girls did just fine, you as the parents just have to keep you eyes peeled for 'situations' that you may not want him to see and distract him or steer him in another direction when you notice some thing you dont want him to see;)

...every one will be so nice and friendly...he will never forget it...my girls still talk about their first JB concert!

~~~Phins up~~~~

We have been to JB concerts before, so we know what to expect. There is no way to warn an 8 year old!! :o We have always seen him outside, never inside before, and MSG is indoors! I actually figure this could work to our advantage since it will be dark! Did I mention that we are bringing his 3 year old brother with us also!!! :eek: We won't be in the running for parents of the year award!! :D I am glad that your girls enjoy his concerts! I do worry about the day our children think we listen to "old people music"!!

I will post when we return!!

Terry

As for my favorite local rest.

The Deli 531 Truman Ave...on the corner of Truman & Simonton

Cheap prices and good food !!

Blue Heaven 725 Thomas Street

Camiles 1202 Simonton Street

B'O' s Fish Wagon 801 Caroline

P.T 's 920 Caroline

Camiles 1202 Simonton Street

Hey parrothead...I did all of the things you listed you wanted to do my first time in Key West. All are very doable in the time frame you mentioned but I wanted to let you know not to do the pub crawl (i.e. a drink in every bar on Duval) because you will never make it back to the ship.

Also all of that walking does tire you out if the humidity is up at all and Duvall street is pretty much uphill. We preferred it the second time when we did everything on the way down Duvall street and then called a cab to pick us up and take us back to the ship :)

Also all of that walking does tire you out if the humidity is up at all and Duvall street is pretty much uphill. We preferred it the second time when we did everything on the way down Duvall street and then called a cab to pick us up and take us back to the ship :)

I am sure after a few toasts Duval Street seemed uphill; but it is actually as flat as can be from one end to the other. :D :D

Mike

Thanks for the good laugh. I never thought of Key West as an "uphill walk" before. I know the Conch Train tour refers to some location as the highest altitude in Key West. I think it is six feet above sea level or some such height. The only hills I know of in the entire Florida Keys are the landfills and there is one on Stock Island across the bridge from Key West.:D

I know the Conch Train tour refers to some location as the highest altitude in Key West. I think it is six feet above sea level or some such height. The only hills I know of in the entire Florida Keys are the landfills and there is one on Stock Island across the bridge from Key West.:D

Solares Hill is the highest point on the island at 16 feet above sea level.

And the landfill on Stock Island is affectionately known as "Mount Trashmore"

Mike:D

Archived