Taking Eagle Feathers Home

Ifloat

We are cruising to Alaska out of Vancouver in a couple of weeks.

My son in law, who is a Native American, has a friend in Alaska who has collected some eagle feathers for him to take back home.

I suspect there may be some problem taking them from Alaska to Vancouver and then back to Seattle and home.

Anyone have any ideas?

He uses them for spiritual/ceremonial purposes, and I'd hate to see them confiscated.

Would it be legal to just ship or mail them home? Should he avoid taking any animal "parts" along on the cruise at all, in case they get taken from him? (i.e. things made of bone, claw, feather.)

Who may I contact if I have additional questions about traveling to Canada or Mexico with eagle items?

You may call the Office of Law Enforcement at (703) 358-1949 or e-mail us at R9LE_WWW@fws.gov . You may also check with any of our wildlife inspection offices .

http://www.fws.gov/le/Natives/travelwitheagleitems.htm

very interesting article pertaining to Canada/US & eagle items.

http://www.fws.gov/le/Natives/travelCanMxeagleitems.htm

article pertaining to taking eagle items into Canada or Mexico

The following is just part of the 2nd link ... lots more information there.

Traveling to Canada or Mexico with Eagle Items:

Guidelines for U.S. Native Americans

May Native Americans in the United States travel to Canada and Mexico with eagle parts and eagle feathers

By policy, Native Americans who are enrolled members of U.S. federally recognized tribes may travel to Canada and Mexico with lawfully possessed, personally owned eagle items for religious and cultural use.

Do I need an eagle transport permit for such travel?

Not at this time. You do not need an eagle transport permit to take your eagle items to Canada or Mexico for religious or cultural use. You will, however, need this authorization if you want to travel to any other country with eagle items. See our guidelines for Traveling Overseas with Eagle Items for additional information about eagle transport permits.

What requirements must I meet to travel to Canada or Mexico with eagle items?

You must

• Be an enrolled member of an Indian tribe recognized by the U.S. Government under 25 U.S.C. 479a
  • Declare your eagle items to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) or the U.S. Customs Service when you enter or leave the United States at any border crossing or U.S. airport. To do this, you must complete and file an FWS Form 3-177 (Declaration for Importation or Exportation of Fish or Wildlife).
  • Travel only with personally owned and lawfully possessed eagle items that will be used for religious and cultural practices.
  • Leave and return to the United States with the same eagle items.

Will FWS or U.S. Customs inspectors ask to see my eagle items?

You may be asked to present your items for inspection. If you have concerns about the sacred or ceremonial nature of the items you are transporting, discuss them with the inspecting officer. Although you may still be asked to show the items, inspecting officers will avoid handling the articles and make every effort to show respect for your religious or cultural traditions.

Personally, i think the whole "natives get to collect eagle feathers" bit is total BS. After all, traditionally, when natives neaded eagle feathers/parts, they just killed some eagles. I don't see how that 'protects' them.

If i find a nice eagle feather on the beach (as i have many times), it means just as much to me as to any 'native'.

Still, the law being what it is, you have to be careful. Of course, if you harm an eagle in any way in order to get feathers or other parts, you should be prosecuted. Find a feather on the beach? Keep it if you wish and plead ignorance if questioned.

outdoorspro.blogspot.com

Archived