dresses and finding deals

heymom32000

I have a dress for formal night that I found on ebay but wanted a sexy black dress. Dh took me shopping last night and I found some awesome dresses but the prices were sky high. It finally dawned on me the reason....homecoming. So I checked online and found out when homecoming is for our area....Sept. 29th. I figure I'll wait till the first weekend in Oct. and then hit these stores and see if I can find some deals. Last year I found my formal marked down to $25 at Dillards because the high school prom had taken place. So I'm hoping the same will happen after homecoming.

Thought I'd mention this to others so they can check in their area for homecoming dates, then go shopping afterwards. ;)

I found a great LBD at Marshalls for $49.99. It ws pretty low cut or I would have bought it-so check out Marshalls.

Did you look in the Misse's department of Dilliards? I would think the homecoming queen hopefuls would be going to the Jrs. department. the Misse's usually has some sz 2 and 4's if you are small and that is why you go to the Jrs.

Believe it or not the Homecoming Dances are almost as big of a deal for HS as prom. In our area there is a preschool fashion show for formal wear that is worn to the Homecoming Dance. Personally I think it is outrageous the prices for these gowns that the girls will only wear once. I have found a place here in Ok that sales formal wear for all ages that comes from the major dept stores at greatly discounted prices. Last year I saw Vera Wang for 75 dollars. Usually they have the standards for gowns, yum yum, city nights, Laundry, Pappel, etc and the most that one will pay for them is 29 dollars. Of course these gowns must be closely checked for tears, etc before purchasing but there is usually quite a selection. Just recently I bought a blue satin gown for $1.50. I couldn't resist a deal like that.

Perhaps there is something like this in other areas. Basically these guys just buy by the pound and do not know what they have until they unload the container. They sell over 10000 items a week this way and much of it is great!

HH

Homecoming is a huge week long event around this area. The dresses are at least $100 and I saw some up in the $200 range even! There are some that are full length prom type dresses but most are like cocktail or dance club style (low cut, to the knee or shorter). I wish we had a place like you do Banditcat. We went to Marshal's, Ross, TJMax, and the mall. I even checked out consignment stores but they are over priced. I figure I have time still so I'm not going to stress. Just thought I'd give others a tip though incase their sailing is after homecoming.

We bought my daughter's homecoming dress this past Monday at a store called Bergner's. It was $88 and I got it for $41 with tax. It was marked down and then I had a 25% coupon. They also had a lot of dresses that were 75% off. It is a black strapless with a bottom that puffs out and has teal polka dots and then we got teal shoes ($20 - clearance - not as good of deal but had to find teal shoes) to match. Then went to Claires and got a teal bracelet and necklace. Haven't found the earrings yet.

The clearances are still out there. In fact I found my mother of the bride dress a week ago marked down from $198 to $30.

Keep looking.

Homecoming is a huge week long event around this area. The dresses are at least $100 and I saw some up in the $200 range even! There are some that are full length prom type dresses but most are like cocktail or dance club style (low cut, to the knee or shorter). I wish we had a place like you do Banditcat. We went to Marshal's, Ross, TJMax, and the mall. I even checked out consignment stores but they are over priced. I figure I have time still so I'm not going to stress. Just thought I'd give others a tip though incase their sailing is after homecoming.

I guess it is not as big around here. Marshalls had all sorts of LBD's spanning in price form $29.99-49.99. I tried on a couple-but I don't like my dresses that low cut because of my age. One of the dresses had a factory tag of $150-and this was one of the $29.99 ones.

These dresses were almost cocktail dresses in style. Can you shop Marshalls online?

The Marshalls in my area have not had good dresses for a while. I look at 3 or 4 of them. Thank you for the advice, that is helpful. I go to the Talbots outlet that is near the headquarters and usually have good luck finding a dress for under $25.

The Marshalls in my area have not had good dresses for a while. I look at 3 or 4 of them. Thank you for the advice, that is helpful. I go to the Talbots outlet that is near the headquarters and usually have good luck finding a dress for under $25.

We don't have a Talbot's outlet-I haven't bought a dress from Marshall's lately-it seems all the styles are for younger women then me. but I do find plenty on clearance at Dilliards.

but if you can find a Talbot's dress for $25 at their outlet-no you would not be interested in Marshalls or Dilliards.

BTW the dresses at Marshalls I saw were all LBDs and that was what the OP was looking for. She had her formal gowns.

I thought Home-coming had to do with football games. No?

What's the connection with gowns?

Homecoming is as big as prom at our local high school. They crown a king and queen and all the girls on the court come out on to the field in convertibles wearing their formal gown and are greeted by their Dad's who are usually dressed up as well. The Dad's give the girls flowers and then the Queen is crowned.

Homecoming is as big as prom at our local high school. They crown a king and queen and all the girls on the court come out on to the field in convertibles wearing their formal gown and are greeted by their Dad's who are usually dressed up as well. The Dad's give the girls flowers and then the Queen is crowned.

Thanks for the explaination.

I'm not a fan of beauty pageants. High school is hard enough for kids without making those without stellar beauty feel like even more of a misfit. So I'm glad I was unaware of this, but again, appreciate your taking the time to explain it.

Yes , here as well.

Homecoming is probably as big if not bigger than prom because it is in combination with the "big" football game here as well.

I'm not a fan of beauty pageants. High school is hard enough for kids without making those without stellar beauty feel like even more of a misfit. So I'm glad I was unaware of this, but again, appreciate your taking the time to explain it

I could not agree with you more.

When I was in high school I was nominated for the Homecoming Queen Court... a panel of girls are chosen by student body and then voted upon.

The winner is then paraded... yes with dad.. in a convertible onto and around the football field the night of the game. Crown and all. Blah!

I find the whole thing demeaning,in a way, and when I found out I was nominated... I said thank you... but No Thank You.

My friends thought I was crazy!!

I just think it is so crazy to put that kind of pressure and lables on young people, because whether it is meant to or not ... it does categorize people.

I know that a lot will disagree and feel it is harmless and I know it is not meant to be hurtful or have a negative connotation attatched to it.

It simply is not for me.

It sets a mold.. so to speak... and if you don't fit into it, you tend "not to belong".

Anyway, I declined and don't agree with the whole process to this day in a lot of ways.

In our town, the big football game is followed the same weekend by a big dance, similar to Prom... hence the formal wear.

Thought I'd mention this to others so they can check in their area for homecoming dates, then go shopping afterwards.

I think that is a great idea, because you are right... the selection is usually big and prices are reduced just like after prom.;) Thanks!

Our homecoming consists of Thursday and Friday nights having skits in the school (usually kind of lousy in my opinion) related to the upcoming game. On Friday night there is usually a big bonfire after the skits. On Saturday there is a parade in the morning, then the game and then the dance. Our dance is not as fancy as prom though. More of a cocktail type and some come kind of casual. Now where my kids went, it was the only high school in the town and so the whole town kind of centers around their events.

We live on the outskirts (8 miles away) and we are basically in another town and we have several high schools and our town is big enough that you don't usually know when the homecomings are going on unless you see the kids dressed up going somewhere.

Believe it or not the Homecoming Dances are almost as big of a deal for HS as prom. In our area there is a preschool fashion show for formal wear that is worn to the Homecoming Dance. Personally I think it is outrageous the prices for these gowns that the girls will only wear once. I have found a place here in Ok that sales formal wear for all ages that comes from the major dept stores at greatly discounted prices. Last year I saw Vera Wang for 75 dollars. Usually they have the standards for gowns, yum yum, city nights, Laundry, Pappel, etc and the most that one will pay for them is 29 dollars. Of course these gowns must be closely checked for tears, etc before purchasing but there is usually quite a selection. Just recently I bought a blue satin gown for $1.50. I couldn't resist a deal like that.

Perhaps there is something like this in other areas. Basically these guys just buy by the pound and do not know what they have until they unload the container. They sell over 10000 items a week this way and much of it is great!

HH

Where exactly is this place? I've not heard about it.

Archived