Cozumel vs PACIFIC Mexican Ports of Call - How do they Compare?

Having been to Cozumel several times, I was curious as to what the Pacific Mexican coast has to offer in comparison? (for those that have been to BOTH!)

Is it "cleaner"? - Is there plenty to do? - What about natural beauty? -etc...

Any input would be appreciated!:)

Thanks,

Tom

We went to Cabo San Lucas (real touristy,desert mountain scenery) just walked around town as I was ill. Big view is a hole in rock called Los Arcos (can see it from ship) but people were touring by boat and swimming over there.-tender port,

Mazatlan is known for shrimp and very cheap - Puerta Vatterta has a pretty walk along the water (Malecon) and shopping. We took city tours in both places. They are big crowded cities (200,000 and 700,000). and things are far apart and far from the ports.

If you go to Loreto and/or Hualtulco - they are smaller - more like real Mexico but not alot to do, but we liked them better. Beach bars, etc that remind you of Cozumel.

We have been to Cozumel many times and even tho' it's way too crowded when alot of ships are in - it still has a smaller town feel.

All the Pacific ports have mountains as a backdrop -so more scenic.

I'm glad we went to all those cities on a HAL ship-but I wouldn't rush back to the Pacific side -but would like the smaller towns again.

Going on the ship - you miss the restaurants, nightlife, resort area things to do-so to just get a feel of the place, it doesn't due it justice - so next time try for a land vacation -if the place interests you on the cruise.

This, of course, is my opinion -MaryAnn

We moved from Virginia to California a couple years ago and took our first Mexican Rivera cruise on the Pride in December. This was a very different cruise for us because we had two of my husband's children with us; not as much beach stuff.

The scenery is very nice but the water is not as clear and is considerably cooler.

Following is what we did in each port.

Puerto Vallarta – Canopy Tour (Vallarta Adventures/Carnival)

We usually do not take the ship-sponsored tours but because of the logistics on this one we felt it would be best. Although the price was twice what we would have paid on our own we did not regret our choice. The entire staff was TOP NOTCH and the tour was excellent. This excursion is the “Original” Canopy Tour or Vallarta Adventures you will find on the internet and is closed to outsiders when the Pride is in port. Carnival’s minimum age requirement for this tour is 12 but because the Canopy Tour states 8 and I worked closely with the Tour Operation Department I was able to have the age requirement waived for Nick. I have sent a letter to Carnival and hope that I can persuade them to reconsider and lower the age to 8; the age the Canopy Tour folks require. I’ll say it again this is an awesome tour and one that should not be limited to those over the age of 12. Cost of this tour was $109 per person.

Mazatlan – King David’s Stone Island Tour

We booked this one on our own; http://www.mazinfo.com/jungletour/index.htm

Excellent tour, Hugo will take very good care of you. Included in this tour was all transportation, open bar, lunch, and two activities, we did the twenty minute horseback ride and the banana boat. The cost for this tour was $120 for the four of us, $35 for adults and $25 for children.

Cabo San Lucas – Shopping and Water Taxi to see the sites. Not sure if we could have gotten a better deal on the water taxi as the rates changed with each step you took away from the vendor. We ended up paying $24 for all four of us. Not bad considering when we first got off the ship we were quoted a price of $12 each. I loved the shopping that was just behind the marina but was not happy with the malls. I hate shopping malls in the states and I really hate to see ports “Americanized”. Even with much of Cabo being so commercial at some point we will return for a land vacation.

We prefer the Caribbean but I'm sure with us living on the west coast more Mexican cruises are in our future.

We sailed out of Long Beach on the Ecstasy over New Year's Eve.....Ports included Catalina Island, California, and Ensenada, Mexico. While Catalina was beautiful and very clean, I could not say the same for Ensenada. We've been to Cozumel several times and have always enjoyed it. Vendors in Cozumel try to get your attention as you pass their store, but they generally don't follow you. Ensenada is a whole different world in comparison to Cozumel. Vendors on the street will consistently follow you begging you to buy something. They will even have their small children (4 and 5 year olds) try to sell you things, as well as come to your table when you're eating dinner.....again begging you to buy. It is rather dirty and really quite sad. My husband and I commented about Jamaica, as many people do not enjoy being pestered by the vendors there. We found that Jamaica was a treat in comparison to the constant hounding in Ensenada.

I have sailed the Mexican Riviera at least 6 times, all Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo. Big party cruise and destinations. The Pacific water is nothing like the Carribean. The Carribean is clear, not the Pacific. Ensenada is an hour drive south of San Diego, so I don't even consider it a "destination." For the most part, Mexico is Mexico. I have a friend who just came back from the Mexican Riviera cruise on the Pride and they did the tour where they swam with the dolpins in Puerta Vallarta---said it was way cool. I've booked a cruise on the Spirit for February that goes to Alcapulco, Ixtapa and Manzanillo and am looking forward to seeing places I've never been to.

The 3-dayer on the ECTASY or the soon PARADISE cannot be comparable as they only go across the border into Ensenada to fulfill the Jones Act.

The 7-dayer aboard the PRIDE is altogether different. See Marklodi's review on this cruise (I went the week before Mark). True the water is not as clear, but that is because of the currents of the Pacific which bring the coastal water off California and Western Mexico from Alaska. Much colder water has more plankton and less depth visibility. Once into Mexican coastal waters like Puerto Vallarta the water is much clearer.

An extended Mexican Riviera cruise, going further south to the port cities of Acapulco, Zihuantanejo, and Ixtapa is coming this fall with the return of the SPIRIT from Alaska.

I've cruised the Mex Riviera 9 times and my favorite part for CAlifornians is its roughly $400 cheaper (airfare) than the Caribbean.:)

The biggest difference are the beaches. The Pacific beaches have the brown sand and some good-sized waves. Water is much more sandy and not as clear. Gulf/Caribbean beaches...pretty turquoise water and much calmer with smaller or no waves. There's a lot of land mass in the Caribbean to prevent the big waves, which keeps the water much more pretty and clear. Now, I really like Puerto Vallarta, though. It's a beautiful and historic city.

Archived