20 Something Guy Clothes Question- Alaskan style goes Caribbean?!

Bunti

Help!! This question for any kind soul who feels like answering. I am bringing my mildly disabled DS and a friend/ provider of his on this cruise. they are 22 and 24.

DS and I went shopping last night and got some new collar shirts, at the end of summer sales.He thinks that what we bought might not really be in style, and wanted me to check. His friend has no casual clothes that dont look like Red Green could wear them. (he is an Alaska male, after all)

I am renting Tuxes for formal night for all three men in my party.

What I have said for them to bring is at least 3 pairs of shorts and 4 Ts; 2-3 Swimsuits; 2-3 docker type pants-- black and khaki, shirts with collars (For DS we have an assortment....silk solid color, hawaiian type, one with muted stripes,) also DS brings dress slacks and a long sleeved shirt to wear a tie with for the semi formal night. He travels in light dress jeans, shirt, jacket and with tennis shoes. (We all do)

What are the coolest styles that 20-something men wear to go out? Both are not particularly concerned about clothes, but they want to do some late night partying and want to be sure they don't stand out like sore thumbs, and have young ladies avoid them cuz they look like hicks. I have to admit, for young men I have little notion of cool. Here it seems to either be skater style or cold outdoorsman style, lol. Unfortunately both of these young men look like they are at home in the cold outdoorsman style--fits in Alaska, not cruising the Caribbean. Help!!! And shoes for partying guys at night....sheesh!!

Help!! This question for any kind soul who feels like answering. I am bringing my mildly disabled DS and a friend/ provider of his on this cruise. they are 22 and 24.

Got it great! I'm here for you, this is actually entering into a really fun area of my expertise...

DS and I went shopping last night and got some new collar shirts, at the end of summer sales.He thinks that what we bought might not really be in style, and wanted me to check. His friend has no casual clothes that dont look like Red Green could wear them. (he is an Alaska male, after all)

Okay two things here...

First of all you are not going until November if I'm guessing from your signature correctly? If so, there is time.

Secondly, I love that your son in wanting to make sure that he looks good and is in style, I can totally help.

I am renting Tuxes for formal night for all three men in my party.
Great for them and for you! Just make sure that you don't get any weird color or patterned ties or cummerbunds.;)
What I have said for them to bring is at least 3 pairs of shorts and 4 Ts; 2-3 Swimsuits; 2-3 docker type pants-- black and khaki,

Okay so far, but be sure on the docker type pants that they are flat front and not pleated. Flat front is the only thing that is not "dorky" and is cool now.

shirts with collars (For DS we have an assortment....silk solid color, hawaiian type, one with muted stripes,)

I'd technically have to see pictures of the shirts to tell you 100% thumbs up...

also DS brings dress slacks and a long sleeved shirt to wear a tie with for the semi formal night. He travels in light dress jeans, shirt, jacket and with tennis shoes. (We all do)

This all sounds good so far...

What are the coolest styles that 20-something men wear to go out? Both are not particularly concerned about clothes, but they want to do some late night partying and want to be sure they don't stand out like sore thumbs, and have young ladies avoid them cuz they look like hicks. I have to admit, for young men I have little notion of cool. Here it seems to either be skater style or cold outdoorsman style, lol. Unfortunately both of these young men look like they are at home in the cold outdoorsman style--fits in Alaska, not cruising the Caribbean. Help!!! And shoes for partying guys at night....sheesh!!

Okay, so there are a few things here...

#1 You are going on a Caribbean cruise, so there will more east coast, New York, Chicago, Miami type young ladies on the ship.

#2 Do they want to just "blend in" and not "stand out" because then they should wear a lot of classic generic things, but...

#3 In high school, college, and young adult age group, there are a lot of variations, that are "cool" in order to represent who they are (and then the young ladies who are "into" those types will gravitate towards them).

For example, Emo guys wear tighter pants and clothes, with big belts and shoes. Hip hop guys, wear baggier pants, and tops can be baggy or tighter, or Skater guys are wearing almost either at this point, depending on their personal style....

#4 What are they into (music?, activities?) and what are their body types (size? shape?) as it literally makes a difference on like

big football player type guys wear a whole different kind of clothes, than basketball players.

#5 If it was up to me, I think that it is very important to acknowledge your background and interests, and bring that out in some way. As long as they dress nicely, but put a hint of Alaska into it, that would rock. I'd need more details on how to figure this out at this point, but that's the fun thing about fashion, if they are dressed in a way, that is

appropriate for the guidelines of the ship and the evening

then on top of that

appropriate for who they are, where they are from, what they are naturally comfortable in, and reflecting their personality....

That's a goldmine right there.

They should ideally look nice, but also unique, and also themselves...

This way, they fit in, but stand out at the same time...

And, young ladies will initiate conversations just based on they look good, but are wearing something a little unique that reflects their Alaskan heritage...

Just saying, my opinion.

Give me a little more info, and I'm here for ya!

CJW

I agree with Curt. They want to look "hip and today" but they also need to dress for who they are - Alaskan men.

That said, I would suggest looking at websites for some of the designers of today. Lines like Kenneth Cole would be a good start - they have a variety of hips looks that aren't too way out for outrageously expensive.

Maybe post some photo's of some things that you and your son are considering and we can comment?

Also, as Curt mentioned, knowing his size and build helps. A guy who's 5'6" and 140 pounds looks and dresses alot differently than a guy who's 6'2" and 210 pounds!

Will you be spending a couple of pre-cruise days in your embarkation port? Is it Miami or Ft. Lauderdale? If so, you can shop for "basics" now and then pick up a couple of fashion pieces before the cruise. I'm sure your choices are quite limited in Alaska.

As a final feel good/look great uplift.....

Get yourself and the guys a mani/pedi in the port city before the cruise (cruise prices are crazy). You'll all look more stylish and confident if your nails are filed and buffed (not polished) and your feet are "sandal handsome".

Lastly, nothing says "hick" like a bad haircut. If you don't have a good stylist where you live, try getting some recommendations for the embarkation city.

There's nothing worse than a poorly groomed guy. That's something women run away from.

Thanks....lets see. I think...cautiously.....so far we are doing okay.

The tux is classic...black and white, no weird stuff. The dockers are flat front. as are the dress slacks. (uh oh, time to take hubby shopping though!) The shirts are what I saw young men wearing at night in Seattle and San Francisco this summer. Short sleeve....silk or microfiber, straight hem, nicely fitting not too tight or loose. I also saw some shirts that look like t shirts but not t shirt fabric, slightly fitted, look nice, cool and comfortable but havent been able to find them.

The guys are different in build. One is tall (6'3" and hefty -more largely built than fat) and the other is about 5'10' and more average in build.

All in all what we have so far is pretty conservative. And so are the guys I am thinking. I am racking my brain to think of what "Alaskan" stuff we can integrate......most of our stuff is pretty wintery in nature- furs, leathers, wools, flannels and such. Maybe some gold jewelry. Nugget watches are the must have for many Alaskan males. Or maybe an Alaska "dress-up" shirt, which is usually black with short sleeves and straight hem, or denim with long sleeves and tuck in style tails, with a native design somewhere. On the black shirt it is usually on the bottom border The colors of Southeast Alaska native design are almost always black, deep red and turquoise. On the denim, the design is on the back and pocket.

My son will have a haircut and manicure and doing some tanning before we leave. I will hint that to his traveling companion as well.

Yeah, they will definitely want to do something about that Winter White shade most Alaskans have. :D

Oh, and I never really thought there was really an "Alaskan" style growing up there. If anything it's closest to a west coast style, with tons of extra layers that aren't needed in the warm and sunny Caribbean.

Yeah, they will definitely want to do something about that Winter White shade most Alaskans have. :D

Oh, and I never really thought there was really an "Alaskan" style growing up there. If anything it's closest to a west coast style, with tons of extra layers that aren't needed in the warm and sunny Caribbean.

I agree....it is like a more casual and cold Northern California, Oregon and Washington State with a little Yukon territory thrown in, at least here in Juneau. Except....everyone wears Xtra-tuffs, and Native jewelry and Carharts are considered a great gift by both sexes. :D

I agree....it is like a more casual and cold Northern California, Oregon and Washington State with a little Yukon territory thrown in, at least here in Juneau. Except....everyone wears Xtra-tuffs, and Native jewelry and Carharts are considered a great gift by both sexes. :D

Ahh, the memories. So how many rolls of duct tape do you have in your vehicle?;)

I am racking my brain to think of what "Alaskan" stuff we can integrate......most of our stuff is pretty wintery in nature- furs, leathers, wools, flannels and such. Maybe some gold jewelry. Nugget watches are the must have for many Alaskan males. Or maybe an Alaska "dress-up" shirt, which is usually black with short sleeves and straight hem, or denim with long sleeves and tuck in style tails, with a native design somewhere. On the black shirt it is usually on the bottom border The colors of Southeast Alaska native design are almost always black, deep red and turquoise. On the denim, the design is on the back and pocket.

On second thought.....forget about bringing a little Alaska into their wardrobes!

My bad!

Ahh, the memories. So how many rolls of duct tape do you have in your vehicle?;)

One in EACH vehicle!! (and that is the honest to pete truth) We also carry an emergency road kit at all times that is way different than what I had in my car down south, too.

As far as clothes, when I work I am pretty much office casual unless I am at camp. DH on the other hand dresses like a SE Alaskan. Helly Hansen, carharts and either extratuffs or Sorels, tshirt and flannel or insulated over that. I dress that way too when off work and not going out or to church. One DS works for the state, and dresses like computer techs every where, and the other DS grabs the first thing he sees, throws it on and adds layers till he isn't cold. :D

This year we have not broken out our real summer wear at all. just removed a couple of layers.

I gotta move to Alaska, although the mosquitos will eat me alive I'm such a mosquito magnet. didn't need summer wear? Oh I'd be so happy, I hate heat and summer. I gotta ask, what is a carhart?

I was in Juneau last year, I think it was Sept. 3rd. I loved Alaska, I would even move there (and I can, I am american). Just had to tell you I loved Alaska (forget the cruise, not important) but Alaska, I loved it, even went into the Red Dog Saloon, that was a hoot. DH and I would have loved to spend more time in Alaska, less on the ship. Really loved Juneau.

Anyway, I'd agree with Jane, I would not put anything "Alaksa" into the wardrobe.

First off, unless someone knows the culture of Alaska, like having lived there, they won't know why or what he is wearing. (I wouldn't, I would only recognize the nugget watch as Alaskan which could be a souvenier so I would just not bother and that's because I was there, someone who wasn't probably wouldn't know it's Alaskan).

The clothes should fit the personality of the person, but other than that, I would say dress for the climate/location you are going to.

Archived