Diving in Hawaii

wannblowbubbles

Hi,

I went on the same cruise last year on NCL... We used Lahaina Divers for Maui.... I have to say, they are professional, knowledgeable, an excellent crew.... But they usually do a large cattle boat operation where your in groups of 6-8 of similar experience and then it's a guided tour.. That was all great, guided, professional and such as I was a new diver.... But I was with people who weren't so good on buoyancy or air.... So watch for that if you have experience...... Also, the sites weren't much to write home about..... Quite boring..... But as I said, it's an excellent crew and your well taken care of..... So for that, I was grateful.... I now know I would talk to them about sites ahead of time or book privately.. I would use them again.....

If you should dive Oahu, use AAA diving..... Alex is excellent, safe, professional and good sites.... Loved diving with them.... Can't wait to go back:D

I would recommend that you go to the volcano for your stop in Hilo (which isn't an island BTW, it is a city on the Big Island of Hawaii) The better diving on the big island is on the Kona side and getting to see the volcano is definitely worth the time.

If you have the chance to dive in Kona, Jack's diving locker is a good choice for dive operator.

In Oahu I had very good experience with Capt. Bruce's. I did my AOW with them. A DM from Jack's (from Kona) came to join a night dive with Capt. Bruce's. In Oahu, there are >30 dive ops, many of which are buying wholesale seats from one of those with boats. So it's better to book directly with those that have the boats/seats.

The Kona diving was excellent, better coral growth and lots of fish. This op is a frequent contributor to the Scuba Board, and has links to all other ops in Kona. http://www.wanna-dive-kona.com/links.htm

:confused: Thats what I get for trying to read off a faded list. I gave towns as islands. so here goes again. Kona on the Big Island, Around Kahului, Maui and around Nawiliwili, Kauai. If you know of dive operators that will work with cruise passengers let me know. I have contacted a couple, i.e.wanna-dive-kona, who said they don't "do" cruise divers.:( Doesn't look like I will have time to dive on Oahu. thanks

:confused: Thats what I get for trying to read off a faded list. I gave towns as islands. so here goes again. Kona on the Big Island, Around Kahului, Maui and around Nawiliwili, Kauai. If you know of dive operators that will work with cruise passengers let me know. I have contacted a couple, i.e.wanna-dive-kona, who said they don't "do" cruise divers.:( Doesn't look like I will have time to dive on Oahu. thanks

In Kauai I had a hard time finding a shop that works with cruise times. The only one is already contracted with NCL.

In Kona there should be lots of choice. Wanna-dive-kona must mean they cannot pick up cruise passengers. But they (and several other shops) are located not far away, north of where you tender in. You can either take a taxi or rent a car to drive to them. Jack's is right there and they are a good reputable shop. But ask around, with the number of shops in Kona you have a good chance of finding one that works. I enjoyed diving in Kona better than in Oahu.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/index.htm

When you get to Kona grab a tank or two and head south to the Place of refuge then continue a mile more to a place called two steps. Walk right in and the diving to the right is pretty good for Hawaii. Often there are spinner dolphine in the area.

Same on Oahu, get a map ahead of time and plan your day before you get there. Drive over to Sharks Cove and swim out to the right around the bend about 100 yards, then drop down to enjoy about a 50 foot bottom with lots of fish , turtles, and lava tubes. The boats come to this very same area.

If you have time go to www.mauidiveshop.com and request the Maui dive guide (one of the best magazines I've ever seen - and its FREE). They have several shops located around the island and will help you.

Now if you want some unforgetable top side on Maui do - the Drive to HANA. about 3 hours each way but ships usually over night on Maui so it gives you plenty of time so you don't have to rush.

On Kauai go to Wiamea Canyon it comes with a money back guarantee to make you say WOW.

The good thing about a one tank shore dive is you still have time to see the top side of most islands.

I think you will enjoy the islands no matter what you decide to do just plan ahead to get the most out of each day.

I'd have to respectfully disagree that Lahaina Divers is a "cattle boat" operation, but it may be that we have different definitions of "cattle boat". To me a cattle boat is one that packs people on a boat so there's little room to move, and provides little personalized service. The mentality is simply to get you on and off the boat as quickly as possible. I've been on 30' boats that I've called "cattle boat operations" since there were 15 divers, 2 crew, no water, and a total lack of customer service. A large number of divers doesn't automatically make it a cattle boat IMO, particularly when you're talking about a large, well laid out boat where the crew is customer service oriented and very professional. Your opinion definitely may be different.

Although Lahaina Divers will put 23 divers on their boats, they have 46' Newton dive boats, which are well laid out and even full don't feel "packed". That said, I would avoid their afternoon charters like the plague...that's when they have the Discover Scuba folks on board, and those folks don't have a clue about "dive boat etiquette". Unfortunately, Lahaina Divers IS the op for NCL and the afternoon charter is the one you get when you book through the ship. Definitely avoid this unless you REALLY want to dive and it's the ONLY way you can do it.

Okay, if you're able to get to a 6am charter, rent a car and drive to Kihei. Catch a charter with either Ed Robinsons, Mike Severns, or B&B to Molokini and South Maui. If you'd prefer to shore dive and want a guide (not a bad idea if you're there only a limited time), again drive to Kihei and dive with either Maui Dreams or Shaka Doug. You simply won't go wrong with any of these choices.

Archived