Tell Me About the Gem

shirleygr

Hi, guys.

Am looking at booking for February vacation '08. My choices for sailing without flying are a 9 night on Explorer of the Seas or a 7 night to FL on the new NCL Gem. This cruise will be for dh and myself and our 2 daughters who will be 7 and 5 yo at the time of the cruise. We were on the Dawn in May '05 and really enjoyed it. Prices are comparable. I'm looking at a mini suite for the Gem or booking 2 connecting insides on the Explorer. The Explorer has a lot to offer, but I can't find a lot of information on the Gem. Can one of you nice folks help me out? TIA

Hi, guys.

Am looking at booking for February vacation '08. My choices for sailing without flying are a 9 night on Explorer of the Seas or a 7 night to FL on the new NCL Gem. This cruise will be for dh and myself and our 2 daughters who will be 7 and 5 yo at the time of the cruise. We were on the Dawn in May '05 and really enjoyed it. Prices are comparable. I'm looking at a mini suite for the Gem or booking 2 connecting insides on the Explorer. The Explorer has a lot to offer, but I can't find a lot of information on the Gem. Can one of you nice folks help me out? TIA

She's under construction...hard to say anything too concrete.

Will be a sister to the Pearl which will emerge on the scene at the end of this year and also the Jewel (I believe) that came out last year. If you can't find much about the Gem I'd look up info on the Jewel. Also hear there is a bowling alley on ship for the Gem.

Personally I'd love to sail on a new ship ;)

Hi, guys.

I can't find a lot of information on the Gem. Can one of you nice folks help me out? TIA

If you are one of those that think "the newer, the better" you'll love the Gem. As mentioned, she's still under construction.

-Monte

If you are one of those that think "the newer, the better" you'll love the Gem. As mentioned, she's still under construction.

-Monte

Also I'm partial to NCL :) I love our oldies too - the Dream was a nice cozy ship.

-Monte

Oh, duh. :o I should have done a little more research before I posted this. Thanks, everyone. I'll do some reading on the Jewel. Appreciate the help.

And thanks for the links, derf5585. :)

Here's the webcam from the shipbuilder's dock.

1221_2.jpg

The Pearl is almost complete getting it's first paint job, with a crane lowering the Villas' deck atop of the ship.

The red painted deck sections just in front of it and under the cranes on its side are the initial sections of the Gem.

No the Dreamward was a nice cozy ship :)

Here's a before and after photo of the Dream, Dreamward, Wind and Windward. I forgot which ships is which. I'll look it up.

vor_nach.jpg

p.s. The smaller ship is the Dreamward before stretching, and the larger ship is the Wind after being stretched. This photo was taken in 1999.

Hi, everyone.

thanks so much for all your input. I decided to go with the Gem. :) We have a midship mini suite all booked and ready to go. DH really liked the idea of sailing on a brand new ship offering everything we really liked about the Dawn.

I'll be keeping an eye out for information on the Pearl and the Gem. Thanks again for all your help! :D

Hi, everyone.

thanks so much for all your input. I decided to go with the Gem. :) We have a midship mini suite all booked and ready to go. DH really liked the idea of sailing on a brand new ship offering everything we really liked about the Dawn.

I'll be keeping an eye out for information on the Pearl and the Gem. Thanks again for all your help! :D

Just a thought - take a look at the aft facing mini suites. There are only a few with a special view out of the wind. I have one booked for a 2008 10 day.

1877172715_JewelTAaftbal.jpg.f3f37b41766cef8ea53394990c3720bf.jpg

Just a thought - take a look at the aft facing mini suites. There are only a few with a special view out of the wind. I have one booked for a 2008 10 day.

Thanks for showing me that. I do love the aft balconies when sailing the Caribbean, but prefer midship for cruising in the Atlantic. Less movement is a good thing as I'm prone to sea sickness as is my 6 yo dd. :)

Archived