Mexican Riveria?

CSkier71

Depends on what you mean by "good". I was on the Diamond and stopped at Cabo, Matzalan, and Puerto Vallarta, They are typical Mexican coastal tourist towns. If you haven't been before than they might provide some new sights. There are many trips out of town that are available. When ships are in port they are crowded with tourists as are all ports. They towns themselves are geared more toward water activities. I suggest you go to the Ports of Call board and read under the Mexico ports section.

I have sailed the Mexican Riviera but not on the Golden. The ports are okay - typical Mexico really. I prefer the Caribbean personally. I don't mind Mexico at all but I like a variety of ports on one cruise; not the same type of port day in and day out.

We are booked on the Golden (4/22/07) sailing to Mex Riv. This will be our 3rd cruise to this area. This sailing as well as the 4/12/07 will stop at Acapulco and Ixtapia (sp), which will be 2 new ports for us.

FredS is correct the PV and Cabo have a lot of water sports activities, but there are also other things to do. In PV there is a great hotel (Krystal Resorts) near the pier (10 min walk) that you can get a message for about $35 US.

This intinerary works well for us since we live on the West Coast and San Francisco is our home port.

Hope this helps.

We enjoyed our Mexican "Riviera" cruise and port calls very much. Playa Las Gatas in Zihuatenejo is one of our all time favorite beach trips. Acapulco was a very pleasant surprise as we enjoyed our day there much more than we expected. In PV we went to Las Caletas on two different occasions, we liked it so much. I have issues with how Cabo has grown from a sleepy little Mexican village, so I won't comment on it.

we have enjoyed two trips to Mexico. While I realize the Dawn is a different ship and has fewer mini's and quad/triple cabins the April sailings out of SF are 11 days and much less 500+ for an inside and 800 for a balcony?

Princess scheduled the Golden well before making the decision to bring Dawn in. You just may want to check out the 11 day sailings (if you can)

Be aware that the weather going to and coming from Mexico can be on the coolish side in April and May . We could not sit by the pool because it was too cold and windy on the Dawn Princess .

This is true. Having been to the Mexican Riv 4 times by ship and also

having traveled in Feb and March, the first couple days in can be

chilly and also the last couple days, but the Golden has an indoor pool

so that is one thing that the Dawn does not have.

Golden is also a lot bigger than the Dawn. Cabins are roomier too.

Lots of people love the Dawn though.

I plan to be on it and I've been to all those ports in the past, as well as Mazatlan. Since I've ONLY sailed to the Mexican Riviera with the exception of Alaska last year....I enjoy it! I got to see Acapulco and Zihuatanejo on another 10 day cruise on the Sun. I especially loved Zihua. I don't have to fly to the embarkation ports. I love the warm sun. And, I love cruising! I have nothing to compare the ports to, so for me IT'S ALL GOOD! I can't wait until April 12th! Come join us! We're the Golden Amigos!

Has anyone done the Mexican Riveria on the Golden Princess? There is a 10 day for April Vacation week, April 12-22nd [i believe] and I was wondering if the ports are any good.

Everytime I cruise to Puerto Vallarta we hang out near those great pools at the Krystal Vallarta. We notice a lot of people with Princess beach towels. The hotel invites the cruise ship passengers to enjoy their facilities while in port. So far, I've never had to pay a fee. I've read where it's nominal, but so far, I've never been asked to pay. We've just walked in. Great place with a swim-up bar and they even have a checkers game table in the water. You use beer bottle caps as the checkers.

http://www.puertovallarta.net/accommodations/accommodations_amenities.php?id=14

In PV there is a great hotel (Krystal Resorts) near the pier (10 min walk) that you can get a message for about $35 US.

This intinerary works well for us since we live on the West Coast and San Francisco is our home port.

Hope this helps.

This is why I booked the Golden to take advantage of the pool with the retractable ceiling. I live on the Pacific coast and I know it can get chilly at times. :eek:

Be aware that the weather going to and coming from Mexico can be on the coolish side in April and May . We could not sit by the pool because it was too cold and windy on the Dawn Princess .

The prices you quoted for the Dawn won't be in April, though. That's off-season pricing. I already checked the April prices and a Cat. JJ (inside on Caribe deck) would be around $925 pp on average. That includes taxes and port charges. And, it's on April 12 (same day as the Golden sailing.) By contrast, though, 10 days on the Golden goes up to $1,197 (total) per passenger. So, yeah, it's definitely more. We did get a $175 shipboard credit for the cabin, though. :) I'm willing to pay that for a pool that I can actually utilize. Not to mention, I liked the Star Princess, so I would love to introduce my daughter her older sis, the Golden. :)

we have enjoyed two trips to Mexico. While I realize the Dawn is a different ship and has fewer mini's and quad/triple cabins the April sailings out of SF are 11 days and much less 500+ for an inside and 800 for a balcony?

Princess scheduled the Golden well before making the decision to bring Dawn in. You just may want to check out the 11 day sailings (if you can)

Mexico is DEFINATELY NOT worth flying cross country for. I've done it several times only because my DH will not fly & we live in LA. We don't even get off the ship. If you can find a similar length/ ship amenity cruise in Carribean (I've done that one with family several times) you'll have more to do & more variety & better weather - it does get cold that time of year.

Ok after reading the replies now I just have to ask.....I am planning on flying across the country for my trip. Is it REALLY not worth it? Almost every one of my prior cruises has been caribbean so I thought it would be nice for a change so see something different. Why is it better, worse, or the same as the caribbean itineraries? Thanks

Sailed on the Mercury this past April 7-17. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed all of the ports, some more than others. Not sure if you have children, but last year at the time we sailed it was spring break and there were lots of kids on board.

Loved Cabo. Did the ATV excursion on our own and went to BAJA to the desert to ride around. It was on the ocean and just breathtaking. Also took a boat ride to Los Archos, which was beautiful.

Mazatlan was interesting with all its history.

Acapulco was way too crowded and the locals seemed to follow us around. It was Spring break in Mexico too so very crowded with locals goiing to beaches etc. Loved the cliff divers.

Ixtapa, were not there long enough, but is a nice fishing village that has a VERY busy port.

PV, beautiful hotels, but also very busy that week due to break.

We are from Georgia so we flew a good ways for the cruise. We usually go to the Caribbean and drive to the port. Totally worth it for us and that is only the second time in my life I have flown.

You're going to love the Mexican Riviera.....there are lots of things to do, depending on your "involvement ratio!" We've done it 8 times, on different cruise lines. Sometimes we leave the ship, sometimes we don't. :)

The cruise can be all about the ship or about the ports. I felt that some ports could be by-passed! ;)

We will be cruising the Riviera on September 30th and again on November 14th. and again on April 2, 2007. (All on different lines).

The Sea of Cortes is a whole other portion of the Riviera that can be explored. If I never see Ensenada again, that'll be okay!

Personally, there are so many cruise lines that go there, we live in L.A. (no airline hassles) :( and we can drive to San Diego for a little variance on the departure!

The Caribbean, although it is fun, (did it 4 times), has warmer water (a plus), rougher seas and airline hassles! :rolleyes:

TO EACH HIS OWN!

The west coast of Mexico is not going to have the crystal blue water and the white sand beaches of the Caribbean. But there is still plenty to do and see at these ports from shopping to exploring the jungle areas in PV, and the deserts of Baja, and everything in between. That is what travel is all about. see new places and experiencing new things.

Yes it is worth while to fly across the country for this cruise. Yes it might be a little cool the first evening out of San Francisco and the last day, but you never know what the weather will be like. How often will you get to sail out of such a great city and sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge is such fun.

Click on our webshots link to see our photos of this area.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for everyone's responses, I feel a little better about it now. Had me worried for a bit. We are sailing out of LA not San Francisco though...will have my two sons ages 15 and 17 with me. Have never been to the west coast at all, ever, not even Ca. so thought it would be an interesting change. Had no idea it would even be cold either until I began reading the boards here. Everyone here is so helpful. I thank you.

It won't be quite as cold out of LA as SF, although the first day can be a bit chilly. Once you hit beyond San Diego and definitely in Mexico, you'll notice a nice temperature change. Get out your swim suits!

I sure wish you were sailing out of San Francisco and had the chance to see this part of California. Ideally, it would be great if you had more time to spend here so you could "do the coast". Monterey and Carmel are beautiful, as well as the Napa-Sonoma wine country, Yosemite, and of course, The City By the Bay---San Francisco. Not that Los Angeles and Orange County don't have something to offer...but being biased, I just prefer the smog-free (or close to it) Northern CA and the Central coast (where I live). :)

Maybe someday you can plan to see more of California. Your sons would enjoy it. My 14 year old daughter knows nothing different. :-) Where did you say you're from again? I wouldn't mind seeing some more of the USA, myself.

Thanks for everyone's responses, I feel a little better about it now. Had me worried for a bit. We are sailing out of LA not San Francisco though...will have my two sons ages 15 and 17 with me. Have never been to the west coast at all, ever, not even Ca. so thought it would be an interesting change. Had no idea it would even be cold either until I began reading the boards here. Everyone here is so helpful. I thank you.

GoodasGold,

We are from NJ and have also lived in Florida. I too wish we could spend some time exploring California but I guess we would need at least a week. Unfortunately we will be lucky if we even get 24 hours to do so. So LA will have to suffice for this trip. I had heard just what you said how it might be chilly until we get past Cabo then I could expect the tropical temperatures I have come to enjoy when cruising in the Caribbean. Thanks again for the interesting responses....

Having been on several Mexican Riv and Caribbean cruises, I say go for it. The water is not like the Caribbean, but the snokeling is very nice on Ixtapa Island. I would also recommend the horseback riding in PV and the Hacienda tour in Matzatlan. There is a beautiful old fort, directly across from where the ship docks, in Acapulco. Plenty of water sports in Cabo as well as the infamous "Cabo Wabo". I think you will have a good time.

Oops, almost forgot, the zipline tour in PV is totally awesome. Your boys would love it! Definately a "must do".

Archived