finding the right agent with the right price

pipster37

We are looking to go on our 3rd cruise next year, and the past 2 years I booked on a discount site on line and have not been to happy. Although I think we got a very good price, the TA was often to rushed to take phone calls and made some mistakes with reservations. The cruises with Oceania were great but making the reservations a hassle. Does anyone have some suggestions? I do want the best price. Thank you

I know I'm more than a little naive about how this whole travel agent thing works, but I would assume that Oceania has one price regardless of travel agent, and the only way you can get a lower price is to use an agent who is willing to use part of their profit to discount the price.

If I'm correct about that, then it follows that an agent who gives away more of their profit is planing to do correspondingly less work. I would think that looking for good service and the lowest price at the same time might be a bit futile.

Since that's what I believe, anyway, and because we're not supposed to use this board to recommend specific agents, what I did was to read back into many of the past messages on this board until I figured out which agent had what seemd to be the closest relationship and the most influence with Oceania. It wasn't hard to figure out, and I called her.

While our first Oceania cruise is still 3 months away, we've been very pleased with the service so far, and just this morning booked another cruz with Oceania for next year.

Thanks again, Jan and Rickey.

Lest I start a flamefest, I would like to comment on the OP's request. I would like to ask if he needed open heart surgery, would he shop around for the cheapest heart surgeon? Probably not.

I'm not a travel agent, nor do I have any fiscal connection with one, other than the fact that my agent is exceptionally knowledgeable, anticipates our every need, and strives to provide us with the best price coupled with individual "perks" that come out of his own or the agency's pocket. He belongs to a large agency that has several locations; therefore, he probably has a bit more "clout" with the cruise lines than the discount agent or part-time agent. He is also affiliated with Virtuoso, which has provided us with wonderful additional "freebies", e.g., all-day tours and dinners in wonderful ports.

Again, just MHO.

Mike

The "best price" does not necessarily equal "best value". Make sure you know what services and "extras" are included when you make your deal. Ask specifically if one agent will be handling your file - and how long they have been with the agency. Our longterm travel agent (she had been booking our entire family for over a decade) left the industry last year when she got married. I wish I had interviewed more carefully when I booked our upcoming cruise - over the past year I have dealt with 3 different people - because the person assigned to my file had quit. Also, I have had to initiate all contact - even when they have promised to call me back. So far, I have had to correct everything myself - cabin category,incorrect date for air deviation, incorrectly being charged for transfers. (These mistakes were made even though I had sent confirmation emails after talking on the phone.) But, I did get a really good price on the cruise! I just hope and pray when my final docs arrive that nothing needs to be changed. When you find a really good agent - treat them well - they are like gold.

MIKEBRILL and LUCINJO each said a mouthful regarding best price and best value. If you read the posts on this board you can figure out which agent HONDORNER uses.

I would like to offer an additional suggestion to the OP.

Go to the Oceania Website and click on the link for Travel Agents. Whatever special Oceania is offering in their mailings is given by our travel agent (who is mentioned on this link), so I have to assume that all of the agents listed on the Oceania site will do the same. I also think that, if an agency is mentioned by the cruise line on their site, the cruise line has some sort of relationship established with the agency.

Experience has taught me that a good travel agent can significantly reduce the "hassle factor" that comes with trying to organize any trip. Reducing that "hassle factor" is "priceless" (sorry, Mastercard)!

I'm not at all convinced that the listings by Oceania are more than paid-for advertisers. I'm just hazarding a guess, however. My preference at this point is to deal with someone who has demonstrated knowledge and interest and has provided valuable info on this Board --- so I also guess that I vote for the same agent as the H's.

Archived