This may be a stupid question...

We are first time cruisers and just received our cruise docs and noticed that it states that it is forbidden to have irons in the room. I certainly know why. I mean it is one appliance that is often left on and then neglected in our rush to get out the door, and therefore a fire hazard. This being the case, what happens if your clothes need a pressing? Especially the formal attire after it has been packed away in a suitcase? Is there a service? Do they have steamers instead? ....or is everyone just more "accepting" on cruises of the look of wrinkled clothing? I know this seems really dumb and insignificant, but I am really curious.

I have yet to go on my cruise but have reading this board for a couple months so I will attempt to answer your question. I have read alot of posts suggesting Downy Wrinkle Release (that is what I'm taking). It seems that you are allowed to take a travel steamer so that may be another option.

I have also read that if you pack your clothing in the plastic dry cleaning bags, it really cuts down on the wrinkles ( I am trying that one too). All else fails, it seems that most (maybe all) have irons on board in the laundry room.

Happy Cruising!

I packed the formals and my DH's suit in the dry cleaner bags and rolled everything else and packed in big Ziplocks. I never needed an iron! This was one of the best tips I got from CC. I always pack this way now. You can fit much more and take less luggage!

On the Elation, which is the sister ship to the Inspiration, there was a laundry room on the Empress Deck Forward and Main Deck Aft. There were two irons and ironing boards in each laundry room. However, a word of warning, on formal night, get there early! (I second the motion on dry cleaners bags - I always use them and rarely have wrinkles).

As I unpack my clothes, I put the wrinkled ones on hangers in the bathroom. I turn the shower on hot and shut the door. (I bring inexpensive wire hangers from home. There are never nearly enough hangers in the closet.) After several minutes, the bathroom is very steamy room, and the wrinkles are gone.

I don't do this to my formal clothes (at least not the really fancy stuff with sequins). I have Carnival press this stuff. It only costs a few $, and they do a MUCH better job than I would. I'm not even capable of pressing an evening gown. Even if I was, I'd still be willing to pay to have it done.

Of course, the irons are available in the laundry rooms. Just don't wait till the late afternoon of a formal night to do the ironing. Downy Wrinkle Remover works OK too.

This is just another opinion, there is a self service laundry available with irons and ironing boards. I have used these in the past to press items that are wrinkled from travel, my suggestion is if you are touching up items for formal night...go on another day, early in the day if posible...there willl be fewer people jockeying for position at the laundrette. :D

I now usually opt for the "Chinese Laundry" :confused: as the crew calls it....to press my items....it is usually only a buck or two per item and they do a FANTASTIC job!!!! Items are delivered right back to your cabin on hangers by your cabin steward.

I figure I have enough ironing to do at home and don't want to be bothered on vacation...that's why I send them out now on a cruise....:p

I, too pack my clothes in the dry cleaner bags and they rarely get wrinkled. Once I had a silk dress that did get very wrinkled and I had the room steward get it pressed. It only cost about $2.00.

Hi Goddess, and welcome to the boards. All above are good suggestions. To further answer, there ARE laundry rooms on each deck of the ship - washers, dryers, ironing boards, and irons. I've never used them, but I've seen LOTS of folks in there every time I've passed by one.

Wrinkle Release works great, as someone above said. That's what I take - but I transfer it to a smaller spray bottle. (Then put into ziploc bag just in case of leaks.)

To answer another question you asked: I do think folks are a little more understanding, and nobody is gonna sneer at you if you have a few wrinkles in your outfit! :D

Thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions! I have put "wrinkle release" on my cruise shopping list and will definitely try the cleaner bags. If that fails, I will let my cabin steward take care of it (at least for the formal attire anyway). I also may try the bathroom steam suggestion too. Thank you all so much for the responses. This place is great! Thank you also for the "welcome". :)

Goddess, be careful with the steaming in the bathroom. Depending on your fabric, it could shrink. I had that happen to a bridesmaid gown I had one time. I put it in the bathroom to let the shower steam out the wrinkles and the fabric shrunk, but not the lining!:mad:

CaribbeanCruisesRock: I know you are only 15 years old, but the term is "steward", and not "stewart". Also, cabin stewards do not do ironing. You can ask your STEWARD to take your items that need to be cleaned and/or ironed to the ship's laundry area. You've been on so very many cruises, that I'm surprised you would post something like this.

CaribbeanCruisesRock: I know you are only 15 years old, but the term is "steward", and not "stewart". Also, cabin stewards do not do ironing. You can ask your STEWARD to take your items that need to be cleaned and/or ironed to the ship's laundry area. You've been on so very many cruises, that I'm surprised you would post something like this.

O.K. I'm not trying to start a fight or anything but give a person a break most of us type pretty fast and don't use a spell checker or "proff read" our posts, were having a nice relaxing conversation, nobody likes a nit picker, :( and nobody should be made to feel uncomportable when the post (especially on the Carnival board, it's the "fun ship").

If I can make a simple suggestion without any rebuttle for being straight-forward...YOU WILL BE ON VACATION, if you are bothered by what someone else thinks about a wrinkle in your clothes, you will definately NOT have as good a time as I will, and that is a guarantee, because I will NOT allow that to bother me.

Point is, 95% of the people are not going to worry about the wrinkle in your pants;

that said, the other 5% are not worth getting a wrinkle in your pants in the first place!!!

Enjoy your cruise, no-one else is going to do it for you.

(Not meant to be sarcastic, just meant so you will let loose and have a better time, that's all)

HAVE A GREAT TIME

Uh, I have no idea why this turned into putting me down for asking a question. First of all, I am perfectly capable of "letting loose" and anyone who knows me knows how much I can have a good time. I don't appreciate a snap judgement that because I asked about getting wrinkles out of my clothes it means I am not capable of letting loose and having a good time. Sheeeesh. I need no one to tell me that because I am concerned about how my formalwear looks on formal nights it means that it is "guaranteed" that you will have a better time than I will. What is that all about? I was simply asking because one of the outfits I am wearing for formal night can get extremely wrinkly. What is the point of dressing up for formal nights if you are going to walk in with an extremely wrinkly outfit? Why even have or attend a formal night?

I am new here and this was my first question to this board. I felt welcomed at first, but now I am not so sure. Regardless, I plan on having the time of my life on my first cruise. Part of the reason will be because I have read some great suggestions here for ports and other little things to make my cruise even better than I could have imagined. This is a place to share ideas and ask questions, right? I felt like it was a stupid question anyway (hence the title of the thread)...thanks for making me feel really stupid now. I will think twice about asking another one.

PLEASE don't feel stupid for asking a question! I thought it was a good question, so did alot of other people. Since you are new to the boards, here is what I have found, sometimes on these boards people who would otherwise be afraid to speak to you in person feel emboldened by the mask of anonymity and become rude, condescending and downright nasty .... not that I think that was what happened here. Sometimes messages are meant to be funny but they come across sarcastic. Unlike in-person conversations where 70% of the communication is nonverbal, on the boards you're stuck with a few typewritten words so it's easy to misinterpret. I think there were alot of good suggestions. I'm sure you will have a great trip and I would encourage you to ask more questions!!! :)

Uh, I have no idea why this turned into putting me down for asking a question.......I felt like it was a stupid question anyway (hence the title of the thread)...thanks for making me feel really stupid now. I will think twice about asking another one.

Whoa, Goddess! You are very welcome here, and nobody is trying to make you feel stupid...really!:) Your question was answered very nicely and in a helpful manner by over a dozen nice folks. (Just because one poster made some inane remark shouldn't turn you away.) We were all new here at one time, and NO question is ever considered stupid. Please continue to ask anything you'd like to know.

I should have walked away and returned later instead of posting in the heat of the moment. Instead, I made a snap judgement just the same as I was getting upset for another poster doing to me. I got some wonderful suggestions and I thank everyone for that.

I can't tell you how helpful the ports of call board has been for me. It convinced me to take an excursion with an independent company instead of with the ship. Saving us money and giving us what sounds like more personal attention. Most everyone here has been so helpful.

Archived