Underwater Camera?? Any recommendations???

I use an Olympus C5050, 5MP camera. It's a point and shoot type camera that I bought for land use but when I found out that Olympus made an underwater housing for it, I couldn't resist. I now use it scuba diving as well.

My wife uses a Canon A95, 5MP with a Canon underwater housing.

Neither of these cameras are made any longer but there are many quality cameras you can select from that you can use both in and out of the water with the proper housing.

Go to the following link where you can review cameras and find out who makes housings for them. Olympus, Canon, and Nikon seem to be the most popular cameras used in the water.

http://www.digideep.com/

You can also go here to see our underwater pictures so you know what you can actually do with a good camera and housing. Select either Cruise 2006 or Tahiti 2005 for underwater pictures. Snorkeling and scuba diving pictures are separate from all the other photos so you can view just those.

http://www.sunfield.smugmug.com/

I use the Olympus Stylus 600..... It also comes with an underwater housing.... It takes great land pics and awesome underwater pics.... It also has special underwater settings...... I use it for diving and snorkeling.... You'll love it and it will serve a dual purpose.....See pic below, it's a Spanish Shawl....

P6180057.jpg

If you want a decent cheapo underwater film camera, look for a Super Sport Suprema. They run about $50, but unlike the "disposable" kind, they are real plastic cameras in a quite hearty housing. You can easily take the plastic camera out and use it on land, and the beauty of the whole set up is that you can take it to the beach and leave it without worrying too much about it getting stolen (or being out big $$$ if it does).

Whatever you do, if what you buy has o-rings, make sure you have silicone to keep them moist or you'll have a flood!!

• 3 weeks later...

Cruzegirl,

Your picture is not on there, is there any way to repost it. I have the same camera. I have used it in Hawaii, Bahamas and just recently in Bermuda, but my underwater pics don't always turn out great, I seem to have a hard seeing the screen while I'm underwater, so I don't always get the picture I think I'm getting...do you have this problem or can you offer any insight?

Thanks!

Hi Meredith,

I will repost the pic and one other.... One of the Spanish Shawl and one of a Bat Ray I took.... I don't have a problem seeing the screen underwater... I do alot of Macro shots so that's easier.... You need to be good with your bouyancy or if snorkeling, just hanging still while taking a pic.... Make sure your centered and then snap.... Then do the same, really fast....lol.... Because those fish are fast.... Go practice in the pool putting large, bright objects down there.... it will come quick to you..... Any other ??? be sure to ask....

spanishshawlwebsite.jpg

BatRaywebsite.jpg

I have an Olympus C-8080 with it's custom housing - it's great, plus you don't have to carry two different cameras on vacation. My sister also has a smaller Olympus (purchased at costco) that she got a custom underwater housing for. Do an internet search for Olympus underwater housing then find a camera that matches!

I'll try to upload a pic from the camera.....

31-dolphins.jpg.00eb9c77ec8e4d807f36605b6e4ae785.jpg

Do an internet search for Olympus underwater housing then find a camera that matches!
Or you could just go to http://www.digideep.com and look there. You can check the camera you are interested in and see if there is a housing for it OR you can look at housings and see which cameras fit in them.

BTW, Nice dolphin photo. Are those wild or captive?

Probably hard to beat your local walmart for disposables if you won't use a waterproof one much.

I bought a waterproof digital for under $300, the Pentax Optio WPi (6MP) and it's now my main point and shoot camera! I really enjoy it, takes great pictures, and I never worry about it getting wet! It is not a replacement for a regular camera, just my point and shoot (canon S410, which developed problems).

Some regular digital cameras have special housings you can buy that allow them to go pretty deep without getting wet inside.

About 75% of my vacation photos here were taken with the waterproof camera. It was sooo much of a relief that I didn't have to worry about getting the camera wet!

Here are misc pics I found on amazon for the Pentax Optio ...

2rfucft.jpg2m3pedk.jpg

2wgbvyt.jpg2j4bvyb.jpg

3zsnlsn.jpg

Whatever you choice, have a great time!

Wild, at Kealakekua Bay in Hawaii.

BTW, you're so in the know, do you recommend those reddish mask filters for diving in the caribbean? I'm looking for a new mask and noticed that some have interchangeable "lenses" to aid full-spectrum viewing. Have you used any filters for your camera while diving?

I too have been looking for something to take pictures with while snorkeling. I'm quite confused, though. Most of what I read says you must be within about 6 feet (2 meters) and preferable much closer (using macro lens) for good pictures. Even with an external strobe flash (no one recommends using the builtin flashes) they don't illuminate over 6 feet under water. My problem is that while snorkeling, 6 foot is the nearest I get, and often time it's more like 15 feet to the subject (coral reef or fish, etc.) so I'm not sure what to get. I don't want to spend $100's on a camera that I have to be within 1.5 feet to get a good picture. I don't plan on scuba diving much, if any, but do plan a lot of snorkeling. What can you recommend for me? I get very dark and blue saturated pictures with underwater disposables. I thought a flash or strobe would help, but now realize that they don't do much over 6 feet.

I have the Pentax Optio WPi. I haven't had an opportunity to use it snorkeling yet, just in a local river. It was nice to know I could take it to the beach, camping, etc without worrying about it getting wet. Keep in mind it is not rated for only depths up to 5 feet deep for 30 minutes. I have no idea how they come up with the 30 minute figure. I interpret it as 30 continuous minutes, therefore if I am in and out of the water I'm guessing I can use it more. The best thing about digital is that it doesn't matter if you miss a shot. Those fish move quickly. Just keep shooting. I had a Nikon Coolpix for several years and used a ewa-marine housing (my husband called it a ziploc bag). It worked great. I would take 200 or so photos while out snorkeling for the day. Big deal if 90% of them didn't turn out, I still had 20 good shots. With the disposable I would take 24 pics and have maybe 3 good shots if I was lucky.

The optio wpi is a great option, just keep in mind the depth rating. I like to dive down while snorkeling to get some better closeups. I'll probably take both the optio and the coolpix on our next trip.

Becky

Wild, at Kealakekua Bay in Hawaii.[/QUOte]Really nice, I'm envious.

BTW, you're so in the know, do you recommend those reddish mask filters for diving in the caribbean? I'm looking for a new mask and noticed that some have interchangeable "lenses" to aid full-spectrum viewing.
I don't have any experience with those kind of masks. I do know that most serious photographers have masks with black skirts.

Have you used any filters for your camera while diving?
I don't use filters with my digital camera and neither do any of the more advanced photographers I know use them. I shoot my UW photos in RAW so I can adjust the white balance on my computer. The only filter I would consider would be a polarizing filter for topside use.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to www.goshotcamera.com and click on "underwater" cameras and accessories....you can buy a digital camera pack for a variety of types and models of digital cameras for abour $35 plus $5 shipping....we recently used them when we snorkeled in Mexico and they really worked.......if you want a single-use underwater camera, any of them at Walmart for about $8 or $9 will work...get one with at least 800 speed film or faster if you can....the faster the film, the better it will be.......I have used both Kodak and Fuji for single-use underwater in the past and prefer the Kodak.

Archived