Rent a car in Grand Cayman????

BrianSara

My wife and I are goign to rent a car in Grand Cayman for our upcoming cruise. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on that? I know they drive on the lefthand side. Any suggestions? Are we nuts and should not rent a car? How are the roads/driving? Any info/insight woudl be great.

We rented a car while we were in Grand Cayman this past Janaury (from Andy's). We also worried a bit about the driving, but had no problems at all. First of all...the traffic doesn't go that fast there. Drivers are very courteous. They will always stop and let you in if the traffic is slow. If you let someone in, they will honk (their sign for "thanks") and sometimes wave.

There are roundabouts, but they are no problem. You just "give way" to those that are already in the roundabout.

We had a ball there. We actually enjoyed the East Side of the island about the best. While very pretty, George Town is very commercialized compared to the rest of the island. We chose Grand Cayman for our vacation because we wanted to be able to get out and explore the island...and be safe. Granted, things can happen anywhere, but on GC you can drive anywhere on the island and not feel safe. Just use the usual precautions you would use anywhere, and you will be fine.

Andy's has two locations. One at the airport and one along 7MB. I think I've read that they will pick you up at the port area. The location on 7MB is next to Coconut Joe's, which is a restaurant we ate at several times and really enjoyed.

If you rent a car, and you are interested in local artists work, we found this place called Pure Art. It's about a mile out of town (away from 7MB). They had some of the neatest local artists work there.

With a car, you could head out to the areas that most of the cruise ship passengers will never see. The drive to Rum Point is about 45 minutes each way. On the way there is the Botanical Garderns. The blow holes are also that direction (a little past where you turn off on Frank Sound Rd.) and a restaurant called The Lighthouse. Plus, it's just fun to drive around and look at what's over on the other side of the island.

Here's Andy's website...

http://www.andys.ky/

Here's Pure Art's...

http://www.pureart.ky/

We rented a car while we were in Grand Cayman this past Janaury (from Andy's). We also worried a bit about the driving, but had no problems at all. First of all...the traffic doesn't go that fast there. Drivers are very courteous. They will always stop and let you in if the traffic is slow. If you let someone in, they will honk (their sign for "thanks") and sometimes wave.

There are roundabouts, but they are no problem. You just "give way" to those that are already in the roundabout.

We had a ball there. We actually enjoyed the East Side of the island about the best. While very pretty, George Town is very commercialized compared to the rest of the island. We chose Grand Cayman for our vacation because we wanted to be able to get out and explore the island...and be safe. Granted, things can happen anywhere, but on GC you can drive anywhere on the island and not feel safe. Just use the usual precautions you would use anywhere, and you will be fine.

Andy's has two locations. One at the airport and one along 7MB. I think I've read that they will pick you up at the port area. The location on 7MB is next to Coconut Joe's, which is a restaurant we ate at several times and really enjoyed.

If you rent a car, and you are interested in local artists work, we found this place called Pure Art. It's about a mile out of town (away from 7MB). They had some of the neatest local artists work there.

With a car, you could head out to the areas that most of the cruise ship passengers will never see. The drive to Rum Point is about 45 minutes each way. On the way there is the Botanical Garderns. The blow holes are also that direction (a little past where you turn off on Frank Sound Rd.) and a restaurant called The Lighthouse. Plus, it's just fun to drive around and look at what's over on the other side of the island.

Here's Andy's website...

http://www.andys.ky/

Here's Pure Art's...

http://www.pureart.ky/

Man thanks for all that info that was great. I'll let you know how it goes

Thanks again

I agree with twinkletoes. Be aware that their standards for car sizes are different than the states. Their compact is smaller than small. We rented a "full size" from Thrifty and got a Nissan Sentra. It was close to ten-years old. You'll probably get a newer car for a good price from one of the local companies like Andy's.

I agree with twinkletoes. Be aware that their standards for car sizes are different than the states. Their compact is smaller than small. We rented a "full size" from Thrifty and got a Nissan Sentra. It was close to ten-years old. You'll probably get a newer car for a good price from one of the local companies like Andy's.

We are renting a car from Avis on Grand Cayman. The convertable PT Cruiser. Anyone have any experience from them? I tired to get a quote from Andy's but they never replied to my emails.

Archived