Packing Question

MaryT

I get the 2.5 gallon slider bags. I can usually fit a couple of outfits in each bag. I've found my clothes come out less wrinkled and it makes packing and unpacking easier. Plus if something leaks in my bag (or outside of it), then all my clothes are protected.

The way I pack in ziplocks is I put a complete outfit (top, shorts, undies, bra, socks) in a 2 or 2.5 gallon ziplock. Make sure that everything is neatly folded and even thickness through the baggie, then you zip up the baggie all but 1 inch and squeeze the excess air out (I sit on my bag) then I finish zipping. I have found the 2 and 2.5 gallon baggies at Walmart, Target and most local grocery stores (they seem to be more readily available in the fall as it is harvest season)

I bought some of the packing bags that you call roll up and get the air out. (If you are interested be sure to get the travel ones that roll the air out not the onew that need a vaccuum.) Yes, they are good for sorting underwear and sox for easy unpacking and it does give you a little more room in the suitcase BUT remember that the weight is still there. I tend to add more with the extra room and then pay the over-weight charges from the airlines! Have you seen the ads for the new suitcases that have a built in scale so you know without lifting them onto the one in the bathroom. My goal this cruise in Oct. is to not have so many things coming home that I haven't worn!

WE were on the Pacific Princess and my DH loves their bath gel. he got several bottles for our obliging room steward and put them in a zip lock bag. We stayed in the Crown hotel for a night before setting out to explore China. They stored two of our bags for us. When we returned to Beijing, we discovered that at some point, two of the bottles had opened and leaked. The zip lock also leaked. Of course, it had the good taste to leak on the only thing in my bag that needed to be drycleaned...sigh. We doubled bagged after that. At least my suitcase smells great now...

Charlie

I have the opposite happen, packing in Ziplocs and squishing the air out make my clothes more wrinkled.

They are great for things you don't worry about getting wrinkled, though, like undies, pj's, bathing suits. They are also wonderful for the trip home, for stinky or damp things.

I've never before packed liquids in my suitcase, so have never had spills. Of course, things have changed now and I'll have to figure out a new method. I'll probably purchase some better quality travel bottles, those that guarantee no spills :rolleyes: .

Ziplocks are a real boone for a lot of items, but the bags with the actual zipper like closure often will leak as they do not get as good a seal as the ones you have to press to close. There are some on the market now that have a double seal. These are the only ones I will use for anything that can leak.

If I had to pack my clothes in ziplocks.....I'd go mad trying to get them in the bag without wrinkling the garment and they don't breathe in there either. My mother traveled for years all over Europe and never had wrinkled clothing because she used tissue paper when she folded her clothes. My friends and I do the same thing and we call it "tissue papering our clothes." Just lay the garment on the bed facedown and put a couple of sheets of tissue on it......then neatly fold the piece like they do in dept. stores. Roll a piece of tissue and use it under a collar to keep it from getting flattened. Pants and skirts can go in the suitcase with one fold but use tissue in the fold. Stack your blouses or tops in the suitcase and you will be able to pluck out what you need easily.....especially if you have to live out of the suitcase. Tissue is cheap and it's lightweight and can be reused. Sometimes, I throw it away or if I'm in the mood, I fold it up and bring it back home. It can also be used to wrap souvenirs or something fragile that you are packing to bring back.

On cruises, I usually bring a steamer but rarely find it necessary to use it with the tissue paper method of packing.

The reason I pack everything in Ziplocs is two fold. I've found my clothes are less wrinkled in the Ziploc bags. Plus as people said, even ziplocs can leak. So if my shampoo in the ziploc bag leaks, and my clothes aren't protected, then I've got a mess. Plus I fly to the port. I've got soft sided suitcases. If it starts raining and the bag is left on the tarmac the rain can get through the suitcase, if my clothes are in ziploc bags they stay dry. Or say when I get to the pier my bag ends up at the bottom of a pile right underneath Mr. Booze Smuggler's bag and his bottles of liquor break and soak into my bag - at least my clothes won't be smelling like Jack Daniels or Captain Morgan.

• 2 years later...

Great question and great replies!! We usually pack a seperate bag with all of our bathroom stuff in it. Well now since the airlines have changed their policies, guess we will have to come up with something else. Never thought of the value of the plastic ziploc bags. I guess we will pack our bathroom stuff and clothes in the same suitcase and use the bag idea. Thanks! Glad I came across this thread!:D

Destiny Nov 22, 2008

this time of year is the best for buying tissue paper...white only though! BTW, DH uses tissue and big zip bags...shirts stay relatively wrinkle free. I use tissue for cotton's, beady tops (to prevent snags), and anything that won't 'hang out' wrinkles in the bathroom. I also use Rick Steve's mesh bags and a few 'homemade' netting bags...helps organize. I triple bag anything that might leak...been there, what a mess!.. Also I only take sealed liquids (mouthwash and the like)...toss before the trip home if any left.

Only 4 months and bit before packing:D

I gotta agree with you there, when I traveled for work, this was one of the things I hated the most.

We love zip lock packing for various reasons... one being the DW doesn't like the idea of any of the security people going through the underwear if they need to open the bags for any reason...:D

But why? Isn't it easier to just pack shampoo etc. in ziplocks?

Not criticizing, just curious!

Because it protects your clothes from whatever may break in someone elses luggage which we have had happen before. Also, on one cruise it was pouring rain (from hurricane Charlie) and the short period of time our luggage was out in the elements being taken off the plane it got soaked. Luckily, because I always put our clothes in ziplocks, all our clothes remained dry.

We started using those bags that you can vacuum the air out of. It saves space as well as protects it from the elements.

On a colorado vacation something fell out and it saved everything from getting wet in some really dirty ice that the clothes fell on.

Because it protects your clothes from whatever may break in someone elses luggage which we have had happen before. Also, on one cruise it was pouring rain (from hurricane Charlie) and the short period of time our luggage was out in the elements being taken off the plane it got soaked. Luckily, because I always put our clothes in ziplocks, all our clothes remained dry.

Archived