Help with Car Rental from Halifax

We just got off the Victory this morning. I rented with Enterprise, with the belief that they had a kiosk in the ship terminal. Well, they do have a kiosk, but it isn't manned. You need to call them, they pick you up in the shuttle and take you to their downtown location. We had to wait about 15 minutes for the shuttle. The lady at the information desk called them for us. The trip to their office is about 5 minutes. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as convenient as I had hoped.

Enterprise does not have carseats or booster seats at this location (only at the airport location. :confused: )

Also, they are only open until 6 pm (5 pm ship time), so if you are planning to return the car after 6, you need to call a taxi or take a fairly substantial walk back to the ship.

I thought the scenery to Peggy's Cove was almost as wonderful as Peggy's Cove. We took the loop off the highway and went back north via a different route. If heading directly back to Halifax, taking the loop wouldn't add more than 15 minutes or so to your travel time.)

We continued on to Mahone's Bay and Lunenberg, taking the coast road there (it took a little over 2 hours, with no stops) and then the highway from Lunenberg to Halifax (about 1 hour, 20 minutes). I think just the drive to and from Peggy's Cove will give you a great feel for Nova Scotia - it is just beautiful!

HTH! Enjoy your dayin Halifax!

We too wanted to rent a car in Halifax for our upcoming Victory cruise. There were no cars available for that day in Halifax so we went with Avis. The one closest to the pier is 1717 Grafton if you are using the internet. They will pick you up at the pier.

Ann

Hope this is not a double post because first one didn't seem to go through. Anyway, we will be on the Victory arriving in Halifax on 10/5/06. We tried Enterprise but they had no cars available for that date. We went with Avis who said they would pick us up at the Pier as long as we called a couple of hours before we wanted pickup. Hope this helps.

Ann

Try Budget its within a couple of blocks of the pier. Also Hertz has a place at the railroad station about 200 yards from the pier(where enterpise was a couple of years ago)...... I rented a car the last time I was in Halifax had no problem finding Peggys cove and beat the buses there(which I do suggest you do)...

We are using Budget on our October cruise. It is at 1588 Hollis St. It is only a few blocks away from Pier 21 as smeyer418 stated. We were also looking at Hertz but were told that their closest office is Kempft Road (Over by Fairview Lawn Cemetary area). Maybe the one at the Railway station has closed?

Be aware that on Oct 9th (if that is the date you are in Halifax), it is Thanksgiving in Canada. Budget will open at 9am. It looks like all attractions will be open.

Good Luck and have a great cruise,

Ed

Archived