I love travel "superstores"...

YankeeCruiser

...that treat you like you're an idiot. This past week booked a HAL cruise using one of those online superstores; the price was undeniably fantastic. Checked the site last night, and the cost of the cruise had dropped - not by a lot, but it was worth having it changed. Called this a.m., and was told that the price drop was due to a HAL three-day flash promotion, and that we would have to cancel our booking and rebook to get it, and we would lose all amenities (even though the website clearly stated the amenities were still available), and would probably lose our cabin. The TA talked over me, interrupted me, and talked down to me, as though I didn't understand anything and must be stupid. The individual kept saying "well, if you read the fine print, it says that the price is just for new bookings" - hmm, no such fine print exists. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle, and told them not to worry about it. How completely obnoxious. Just goes to show that using a traditional TA, though perhaps pricier, is worth it for the service.

While the person may not have had the best "phone-side manner," they did have the facts right. You would have to cancel and re-book. You might lose the specific cabin you had booked. That's the rules on all HAL cruise sales.

Maybe PT Barnum was right.

imo it just shows that you are using the wrong superstore --- i use an online email only ta and have had my price lowered 2 times since i booked and on the last lowering of the price i also picked up a 50.00 ships credit

like any other business offering a service or product there are stores that you frequent all the time because of service and there are those that you wouldnt walk into even if it were to get out of the rain

imo it just shows that you are using the wrong superstore

You may be right - this is the first time we have used such a service. I was a little surprised, though, as the TA we worked with there to book the cruise was wonderful and very helpful (they never sent me their name, or I would have tried to reach them directly). I may have just connected with someone who got up on the wrong side of the bed today - heaven knows that happens to me on occasion! I actually wouldn't have minded rebooking - I'm not that set on our particular cabin - it was just the way I was treated that got my back up.

I have noticed a sudden increase of criticism of internet TAs on this board. I find it unusual that there is just one problem after another when none were posted for the longest time.

I'm not debating this happened to the OP. It probably did. And there's no question that the Customer Service Rep handled the situation badly. The truth is good Customer Service is hard to come by anywhere these days.

But I become suspect when I start seeing post after post bashing internet TAs. I just want to remind everyone that TA's in all shapes and sizes post on this board and do not usually identify themselves as such. There are good and bad TAs out there and they can be internet or B&M.

In this case, where the price dropped purely because of this HAL promotion, the only way to get that price would be to book over that 3-day period no matter who you had booked with. So the agent was correct that you would have to cancel and re-book.

In the end I always feel that if I believe I've gotten a fair price for a cruise, that's all that matters. Someone else may pay a bit more or a bit less, but generally I stick with an agent that I know and trust and that's that.

In the end I always feel that if I believe I've gotten a fair price for a cruise, that's all that matters. Someone else may pay a bit more or a bit less, but generally I stick with an agent that I know and trust and that's that.

its more the service especially these days- and if the price goes along with the great service thats wonderful

In this case, where the price dropped purely because of this HAL promotion, the only way to get that price would be to book over that 3-day period no matter who you had booked with. So the agent was correct that you would have to cancel and re-book.

I've never sailed with HAL before, so I wasn't aware of this process. As I mentioned earlier, I would have been more than happy to do so, but got so frustrated with the TA's attitude that I just wanted to get off the phone. The price difference wasn't enough for me to worry about.

That may be part of my problem - I don't have an agent I've worked with on any regular basis. I did try to contact one who I worked with years before, but got a first quote (for a different cabin category) that was higher than what was even on HAL's website, and when I asked for a quote on a different category, got no response at all, even after waiting a couple weeks. That's why I went with the online thing. I'd certainly be willing to pay a little more for a good TA - just have never had the chance to find one. Too bad recommendations aren't allowed on this board... :)

YankeeCruiser, actually I think the deal with the 3-day "special" would hold true no matter what cruise line you're booking.

If you click on "Cruise Agencies" at the top of the CC page you will see a list of agents who advertise with CC. That doesn't mean they're all recommended or good, but Lou and I (and several others) have had great success with one of them. You can only deal with them through email ... no phone contact and that is how they keep their prices down. You need to know what you want, they don't hold your hand. But their service is top notch and I compare all over and their prices are always in the ballpark, if not usually lower, than any other price I see. So you could give them a try.

When you go to their site, click on the "warning" at the top of the page that explains they are totally internet based. It's my experience that they get back to me within hours of my email ... very cut and dried and no "bells and whistles", but they don't disappoint.

Heather, I'm curious as to which of those agencies it is. I clicked on every single one but did not see the warning. I'm sure it's there and I'm missing it. Without violating the rules of this board, could you give me a bigger hint (like starting from the top which # it is in the list?). I'd really like to see which agency this is since I often see it mentioned on the boards. thanks!

Heather, thanks for the suggestion - I appreciate it.

So, here's an amusing twist to the story - I just came home from running errands, and checked my email. What's there? An email from the "superstore" stating that per my conversation with them this morning, they had talked to Holland America, and that they had adjusted the price for me, ensured that I would have the same cabin, and would still get all my amenities. I also got a confirmation email with my booking info, and sure enough, they did just that, and didn't charge me the $25 fee they normally do to make such changes.

Do you think they might read this board??? ;)

Regardless, it was nice of them to do so, esp. when I had told them not to worry about it.

Yankee Cruiser, how funny is that???!!! Now I think I may know who you're using. If so, I used them once and never again. When they were going to charge me $25 (admin fee) for a new confirmation with the right cabin # on it, I canceled and booked a new cruise with my regular agent. They charged me a cancellation fee. I was more than happy to pay it just to get away from them.

DD, in the list of agents I'm reasonably certain there's only one without a phone #. When you click on the website, look at the top and there are 3 little boxes ... one says "warning". Click on that and a little computer lady starts talking to you. She is extremely annoying, but she explains how they work.

Heather, I'm curious as to which of those agencies it is. I clicked on every single one but did not see the warning. I'm sure it's there and I'm missing it. Without violating the rules of this board, could you give me a bigger hint (like starting from the top which # it is in the list?). I'd really like to see which agency this is since I often see it mentioned on the boards. thanks!

you know the saying when you roll the dice "if its not a seven then you want an e----n"

You may be right - this is the first time we have used such a service. I was a little surprised, though, as the TA we worked with there to book the cruise was wonderful and very helpful (they never sent me their name, or I would have tried to reach them directly). I may have just connected with someone who got up on the wrong side of the bed today - heaven knows that happens to me on occasion! I actually wouldn't have minded rebooking - I'm not that set on our particular cabin - it was just the way I was treated that got my back up.

I couldn't imagine my TA ever talking to me like that. In fact she went the extra mile to accomplish a difficult category change which could have resulted in a higher price. She went to bat for me and got me my cabin and kept my low fare.

So, here's an amusing twist to the story - I just came home from running errands, and checked my email. What's there? An email from the "superstore" stating that per my conversation with them this morning, they had talked to Holland America, and that they had adjusted the price for me, ensured that I would have the same cabin, and would still get all my amenities. I also got a confirmation email with my booking info, and sure enough, they did just that, and didn't charge me the $25 fee they normally do to make such changes.

Regardless, it was nice of them to do so, esp. when I had told them not to worry about it.

Sounds like everything worked out ok.......congrats!

E-mail me sometime if need any reccommedations and you want someone with same low prices and has a phone.:)

Yankee Cruiser, how funny is that???!!! Now I think I may know who you're using. If so, I used them once and never again.

Not sure if I will or not. It's been an up and down experience. I will say, when we were first trying to book the cruise online, there were some problems with the credit card system - it wanted to charge us for the entire cruise at once. I called them to ask about it, and they gave me a "fake" card number to use so I could book it online (and thus get the lowest online fare), and said I could just call back and give them our own card info, and they'd make sure HAL only charged the deposit. They were very apologetic, had a solution, and took care of everything. As I said, I may have just gotten connected to someone not having a good morning - heck, I sure wouldn't want to be working on a Saturday... :)

I have noticed a sudden increase of criticism of internet TAs on this board. I find it unusual that there is just one problem after another when none were posted for the longest time..

I think it is like anything else Heather. Someone may not think about posting such a thing until they read someone else with a similar experience, and then jump on board with their story. I believe I have seen that pattern with other subjects which will remain nameless. Also, as more and more people are using them and praising them, others look to do the same thing. Unfortunately without being able to specifically name or recommend any, some may be getting caught up with the wrong ones! There are good and bad ones out there, just as there are B&M's.

And I hope you didn't take our exchange as criticism, mine was more out of sheer curiosity than anything else.

Thanks -- that was an interesting website to check out. It made me curious as to who's behind the website. I wonder if they're affiliated with any of the larger TAs in the country.

...... Unfortunately without being able to specifically name or recommend any, some may be getting caught up with the wrong ones! There are good and bad ones out there, just as there are B&M's.

Tell me about it.....very frustrating when all you want to do is help.

Too bad there isn't an area somewhere set aside for open discusion about TAs. Could be monitored so that outright trashing of a TA would be deleted, but people could post their positive experiences. That way the many good TAs that don't advertise here could get the credit for a job well done.......and others could benefit from the information and lower prices.

I know...its only a "pipe" dream.:)

Thanks -- that was an interesting website to check out. It made me curious as to who's behind the website. I wonder if they're affiliated with any of the larger TAs in the country.

You can find out a little info about them... go to http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp and type in the domain, and it will tell you who owns it. I do this whenever I get something that I think is spam...

I have no problem using internet ta's ... no question they can get you some very good deals ... but I would never use one who wouldn't give me their name or a direct contact number. I'm just way too cautious for that. I like to be able to get in touch with a live person if I have a problem ... or, in their absence, a supervisor who can handle matters for me. The one online TA I use ... I have her name, direct dial number (call center) and a direct email address. And, they have an emergency number in case there is a problem during off-hours when your regular rep is unavailable.

Those flash sales can be a great deal ... but they are only for people who aren't "married" to a specific cabin. If you're willing to take "run of ship" within a specific cabin category, and book at the last minute, the savings can be fantastic.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have no problem using internet ta's ... no question they can get you some very good deals ... but I would never use one who wouldn't give me their name or a direct contact number. I'm just way too cautious for that. I like to be able to get in touch with a live person if I have a problem ... or, in their absence, a supervisor who can handle matters for me. The one online TA I use ... I have her name, direct dial number (call center) and a direct email address. And, they have an emergency number in case there is a problem during off-hours when your regular rep is unavailable.

Those flash sales can be a great deal ... but they are only for people who aren't "married" to a specific cabin. If you're willing to take "run of ship" within a specific cabin category, and book at the last minute, the savings can be fantastic.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have the same setup with my TA .....which everytime I check has the same prices as "no phones" TA (sometimes a little cheaper than "no phones").

So I feel I am getting an "extra" with the phone access on top of everything else.:)

I have no problem using internet ta's ... no question they can get you some very good deals ... but I would never use one who wouldn't give me their name or a direct contact number.

Oh, I didn't mean that she wouldn't give it to me - I just didn't catch her name when I first got on the phone with her, and then when I received the email confirmation, there was no name on it, the email was just sales@, and there was only the general phone number for the company - so I couldn't call her back directly.

WNY, we're fine ... I think our discussions are always fair:) . I guess what I don't understand is the polarization involved. Some will say "never use an internet TA" and others will say "never use a B&M TA". I just find that so silly when any logical person knows there are bad and good in both areas.

Have to admit, Rita and others who feel the same way ... I don't get this thing about phones. Why is a phone so important? Especially these days when it's so very easy not to take your call. On a weekend, forget it. So you can all the phone numbers in the world and if the person doesn't take your call, it's useless.

It happens that I do know the location and phone number of the internet TA I use (even though they're a no-phone contact TA). But it's quite large in and of itself ... I highly doubt it's part of something larger.

As far as open discussion of TA's, it's very easy really. Lots of us have email addresses in our signatures and you can always write. There is also a new cruise board I know of that allows open discussion of anything at all ... quite sure you can mention TA's there. You just need to shop around and do a bit of research.

I'm just as glad it's not allowed here because then every TA in the country would be peddling business and you wouldn't know who to believe and who not to. I like it this way.

Heather, thanks for the suggestion - I appreciate it.

I would bet dollars to donuts they probably do read this board as any prudent TA should.;) .This board has been a wealth of info to me & like Heather & Lou, we use the same "on-line only Agent- No phone" & have been more than satisfied..

Glad this worked out for you & enjoy your cruise..Betty

Archived