I need a tour guide for Montego Bay

jetstorm

I wanted to book with Phil or Marva but I understand they tour out of Ocho Rios.

I need a tour that picks up/drops off at the Montego Bay port. We would love to do Dunn'a River Falls and/or the horseback ride/swim.

Can you recommend a reputable tour guide?

Did you tell Marva that you were out of Mo Bay? She has a driver in Mo Bay who does the tours there for her. Just contact her again and let her know that you will be in Mo Bay.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

We did contact Marva and tell her again that we would be in MoBay, she said we wouldn't have time to do her Dunn's River tour but only her MoBay city tour which we are not interested in.

I really appreciate your reply though.

A-Z Planners is really good. However if you are wanting to do Dunns which is about 2 hours away each way I would recommend doing the ship excursion that way you are sure not to miss the boat.

cruise freak,

Thanks, I'll look into A-Z planners and see what they offer.

We may have to go with the shiip tour in Cozumel.

Thanks,

We did contact Marva and tell her again that we would be in MoBay, she said we wouldn't have time to do her Dunn's River tour but only her MoBay city tour which we are not interested in.

I really appreciate your reply though.

Barva,

We talked it over and decided to go with Marva (or rather her driver) and do the MoBay area tour. She told me we are paying for the driver and we basically tell them what we want to do.

Here's my problem... what to tell them. What's in the MoBay are to do besides shop and lay on a beach? We do love snorkling and other water activities, some sightseeing, etc.

Any suggestions?

Anyone?

Jetstorm - I looked at the Main CC page under destinations and found the link for Mo Bay. It lists several things to do. It includes oldmedic's suggestion of the bird sanctuary (good suggestion - we would have loved to do that since we enjoyed the aviary at the Enchanted Garden so much). Also, look at the cruise ship excursions and see if any of those things appeal to you. If they do, then you can suggest that to Marva's driver. Hope this helps!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=20#menu

My husband, 15 year old son, and I just got off the Freedom (8/20 sail date) and had a fantastic tour with A-Z Planners. We did the Mayfield Falls tour, which also included a lunch stop and Margaritaville. We have done Dunn River Falls, and we thought this one was better. Very beautiful, not crowded, and no "market place frenzy" at the end.

Our driver (Mark) picked us up right at the pier, at a waiting area where all the guides are. Mark took us in a van. It was a beautiful and informative drive up the mountain. At Mayfield Falls a guide, Clayton, took us up the falls. He was also very helpful. There are 22 pools/falls along the route. It was very beautiful, with refreshing and clear mineral water. (The water felt like I was at a spa.) We brought a disposable waterproof camera, and Clayton took several pictures of us. There was also a small cave we could step into, with waterfalls going in front of us. In one spot there was a short underwater tunnel from one pool to another. The guide went through it, as did our son. That was a highlight for our son. If you want to swim through the tunnel, it may be helpful to have swim goggles. (Our son, a high school swimmer, brought his.)

I can't say enough good things about Mark, our driver. He took very good care of us. For example, I put my drivers license and Seapass card in a zippered pocket of my swimming shorts. Unfortunately, due to the rush of the water,the pocket came open - and all was lost. (If you go, don't take anything like this with you in the river - leave it with your driver or in one of the lockers.) When Mark heard about my loss he thought they should try to locate the cards. I figured it was a needle in the haystack situation to find anything in the river, but he suggested they at least try, and that we should wait a few minutes and they would look. Thanks to his "can-do" attitude, the guides were able to find my Seapass card in the first falls/pool area where I noticed they were lost!! :D I couldn't believe my good fortune that they found the Seapass card - which avoided any hassle in going through security to get back on the ship.

When we got back to Montego Bay, Mark asked us questions so that he could find us the type of food we'd like for lunch, and then brought us to a local restaurant we really enjoyed (jerk chicken and jerk pork.) He then took us to Margaritaville. When we were ready to leave Margaritaville, he was right there ready to take us back to the ship. The tour lasted about 6 hours, and it was so much fun. We got back to the ship in plenty of time. Here is the website address: http://www.a-zjamaicaplanners.com/mbcruise.htm. I wish I was going back!

SMN

just a suggestion, you might want to consider the rockland bird sanctuary- you can see some of my pictures at www.oldmedic.smugmug.com[/quote]

Thanks to you all, you've given me a lot of wonderful suggestions.

To Oldmedic,

I looked at your photos, thanks so much!

I saw that you've been to the 450 mile yardsale, we just did that a few weeks ago for the first time. I loved it!!! We went for three days. We just moved to AL. a year ago.

I saw you also went to YS Falls, did you do that on the same day as the bird sanctuary? I'm tryint to figure out how far one thing is from another and how much we can do in one day.

Do they provide you with tubes or do you have to bring your own or rent them? Is there anything else to do there like horseback ride?

Thanks again for your help.

SNM,

Thanks for your post on Mayfield Falls. Can you tell me how far it is from Montego Bay, time wise?

Does anyone know how cool the water might be at some of these falls in December? Will it be too chilly to play in the water?

Jetstorm,

thanks!! this was also our first year for the garage sale. we had a blast and probably passed you somewhere on the road!!! we based out of Chatanooga and went north the first two days then south the last two. We did do YS and the bird sancutary on the same day, as well as stopped and had lunch. There are tubes at the falls to play on. the water is really cold, but after a few minutes you will acclimate to it and have a ball!!! I am not aware of horseback riding there, but i know you can at times tube the river(depending on how much rain they have had recently) If we can be of any more help, please let us know! bill and amy aka oldmedic and sweetnell

Oldmedic,

That yardsale was a blast wasn't it? Boy, was I tired at the end. We're just down the road a ways from you in Dectur, AL. and we went north the first day (Fri. for us) and headed back to Chatt. late Sat., then on south Sunday to finish.

About the falls, I'm a little worried about how much colder the water will be in Dec. than when you went. I might try asking some people on the Jamaica boards if they've tried it in the winter. It sure sounds like fun.

How far away was the bird sactuary from the falls?

Where did you guys have lunch if you don't mind me asking and if it was good? Is it terribly high to eat there? I asked a few days ago on the Jamaica board, but no one has answered.

I'm so glad to have you guys that have cruised before or I'd be totally lost.

Thank you again.

Oldmedic,

That yardsale was a blast wasn't it? Boy, was I tired at the end. We're just down the road a ways from you in Dectur, AL. and we went north the first day (Fri. for us) and headed back to Chatt. late Sat., then on south Sunday to finish.

About the falls, I'm a little worried about how much colder the water will be in Dec. than when you went. I might try asking some people on the Jamaica boards if they've tried it in the winter. It sure sounds like fun.

How far away was the bird sactuary from the falls?

Where did you guys have lunch if you don't mind me asking and if it was good? Is it terribly high to eat there? I asked a few days ago on the Jamaica board, but no one has answered.

I'm so glad to have you guys that have cruised before or I'd be totally lost.

Thank you again.

Jetstorm,

we have been in both November and January and the water was not too cold. (like a spring fed watering hole) cold, but after a little bit you get used to it. We ate lunch last time at a restraunt right on the black river. don't remember the name of the place, but they used alot of curry, and I am not a big curry fan, so it was ok, but not the best meal I have ever had. One other time we ate at Culloden Cafe, which I believe is now a resort of some type and i am not sure if it is open to the public or just guests staying there. When we go back, if the people that go with us want to do YS and the rockland bird sancturary I am going to suggest skipping lunch or maybe finding a local place with jerk pork or chicken. The bird sanctuary is actually only about 10-15 minute drive from the place where you dock in MoBay. YS is probably about an hour and half drive from the port, but there is definately some gorgeous scenery and you get to see the "real" Jamaica, not just the "touristy" Jamaica.... not sure what the meal cost, as it was included in our total price with carolyn at barrett adventures. I am sure who ever you decide on to take you for the day will be able to find a good place to eat. Once again, if you have any questions.please feel free to ask!! bill

We were planning on using Trevor Hudlin. He sent George Campbell ,who took us to May Field Falls. George was excellent and a very safe driver. Everything was done as promised. May Field Falls was a highlight of our trip. Our 14 year old son went too. Do not wear any jewlery, watches, or anything you don't want to lose to the Falls. I left my wedding ring back on ship. They have a locker and will give you the key at Falls. My husband lost his watch. They told us it happens all the time. It was found in the clear water. The water is absolutely refreshing and our skin and hair was soft and clean feeling from the water. My son loved floating in the pools.. Don't forget tip money for river guide. George gave us his phone number. He does both Ocho Rios and MoBay. He was wonderful and we will use him again. 8500719 George Campbell;Content Garden, Ocho Rios po T St Ann; Jamaica W.I. Hope this helps

SNM,

Thanks for your post on Mayfield Falls. Can you tell me how far it is from Montego Bay, time wise?

Does anyone know how cool the water might be at some of these falls in December? Will it be too chilly to play in the water?

It was about an hour drive, which included our driver briefly pulling to the side of the road a couple times to give us a chance to take a picture and point out some of the plant life. I recall him saying it was quite a bit closer to go to Mayfield than Dunn River, and less traffic.

SMN

Archived