4 Weeks 2 go...help needed!!

qt_esme

Hi everyone, i am booked on the N629 27 sept 06....cant wait, will be my first holiday in about 12 years!! Firstly what time should we arrive at the wharf? We just dont want to be hanging around uneccessarily with the kids because we arrived too early!! and does anyone know about carry-on luggage, i have a rolling suitcase which is only about 50cm that i was planning to use as a carry-on, but im not to sure if that will be to big or allowed. by the time i put the video camera, the photo camera, a change of clothes for kids i will need a bag this size. The other thing i was a little concerned with was sea sickness, we are on empress deck E8 far forward, i have heard that being in the middle of the ship is more stable...does this make much difference? Hope somebody can help me with my trivial questions...

i dont know if it is different for sydney, but i will go off my own experience. has P&O told you what time boarding starts on the day you leave? it might be on your tickets. if not ring them and ask.

on my cruise, we were towards the front of the ship, and we did notice it rock a fair bit. my advice, stock up on kwells before you go. they are magic.

We arrived at around midday in February. We chose not to board then but keepcrusing, who was travelling with us, was able to board almost straight away. It will give you a chance to look around the ship and unpack if your bags have arrived.

I doubt that you will have problems with your rollon suitcase. Thankfully I haven't had much problem with seasickness. As star-man said, most people think quells are great.

i dont know if it is different for sydney, but i will go off my own experience. has P&O told you what time boarding starts on the day you leave? it might be on your tickets. if not ring them and ask.

on my cruise, we were towards the front of the ship, and we did notice it rock a fair bit. my advice, stock up on kwells before you go. they are magic.

Boarding is at 1pm, i think we will arrive around midday...surely the brats can behave for an hour!!:eek: hopefully anyway! Thanks for the advice with Kwells...only problem is all of these medications really knock me on my backside, not for just an hour or two either. The last thing i want to be doing is sleeping cos im knocked out on medication. I have purchased a pair of Sea-bands (accupressure wrist bands) i have heard both good and bad with these so guess i will just have to try them out? Has anyone else tried these?

let us know how you get on with the wrist bands.

of all the sea sickness medication i tried on my cruise, they were the only ones that didnt make me drowsy.

Ok, well i might grab some (kwells) and give them a go...if they put me to sleep i know not to have them again! will definitely let everyone know how the bands go!:rolleyes:

i use the sea-bands all the time for car travel and love them, have never been sick with them on :)

Also used to use them on the Spirit of Tas when i lived down there and survived some pretty rough bass strait weather (they closed dining as all the plates were smashed on the floor and the coffee machine which was attached to a wall fell off ripping half the wall with it) without a hint of nausea, so i am definitely an advocate of them.

Ok, well i might grab some (kwells) and give them a go...if they put me to sleep i know not to have them again! will definitely let everyone know how the bands go!:rolleyes:

Maybe you should try the Kwells before you go on a day when you can afford to sleep. That way you aren't "wasting" any of your precious holiday time!! My sister uses the bands and also says they are good.

I have also found that a lot of the time sea sickness is mind over matter for me (note: I'm talking about my own personal experience here not everyone!!). When I find myself starting to think I am feeling a little giddy or queasy I go for a walk on deck or just around the ship, have a glass of ginger ale or take a Kwell (I know they are preventative! that's why I am saying it is mind over matter for me!).

I must admit I am a pretty good sailor and it has to be pretty rough for me to do this and there have not been many times when I have. The other thing I noticed is that if you distract yourself from the topic and find something else to talk about or do is another good tip. My aunt (Frog) is a nurse and she is often distracting kids who talk about feeling sick and changing their focus. It's amazing how quickly they seem to get better! Another key is unless you absolutely have to (i.e. you are their mother or loving partner) stay away from those being sick.

And finally if you find yourself feeling ill the best place for you is out on the deck in the fresh air not down in your cabin! If you are sick enough to be cabin bound then you should go to the medical centre and get the injection. Don't let it ruin your holiday!!

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Hi All

When we went on the Pacific Star, I went prepared - kwells, blackmores gingercalm and seabands (wrist bands). The kwells worked ok but I found the best thing that worked was alka seltzer - just a tip buy them from your supermarket not on board ship - they were $16.95 onboard and when I got home I found out that they were $5.95 at the local supermarket.

Cheers Rach

Hi All

When we went on the Pacific Star, I went prepared - kwells, blackmores gingercalm and seabands (wrist bands). The kwells worked ok but I found the best thing that worked was alka seltzer - just a tip buy them from your supermarket not on board ship - they were $16.95 onboard and when I got home I found out that they were $5.95 at the local supermarket.

Cheers Rach

i dont mean to be naive but what is alka seltzer? ive never heard of that before. I will definitely try kwells a few days before we leave and see how i go. Ive started telling myself im not going to be sick, and that i dont suffer from sea sickness...positive thinking...it might work!! if all else fails i guess its a trip to the medical centre. Does anyone actually know the cost of the injection? and does that too get charged to your cruise card?

thanks everyone for all your help,

Erin

i dont mean to be naive but what is alka seltzer?

Hi Erin

I had never heard of alka seltzer before the cruise, until I went to the shop on board and asked for something for a queazy stomach and was given alka seltzer. It is a combination of asprin and antacid. It says on the box that it can help headaches and upset stomachs.

Hope this helps

Rach

Hi Erin

I had never heard of alka seltzer before the cruise, until I went to the shop on board and asked for something for a queazy stomach and was given alka seltzer. It is a combination of asprin and antacid. It says on the box that it can help headaches and upset stomachs.

Hope this helps

Rach

thanks Rach for that tip i will be stocking up on those too...and they wont make me drowsy ( well shouldnt anyway) so thats a bonus! :D

Archived