Butler gratuities?

star7228

My husband and I are sailing on the Pearl next summer to Alaska, and we have a romance suite booked. I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions for gratuity for the butler at the end of the cruise? I know that technically "gratuities" are included, but the butlers really go out of their way to do extra things, and I'm assuming that many people give them a little extra?

We had this same category room on the Star a few years ago, but for the life of me I can't remember what we gave the butler then! :)

Any suggestions? Thanks much!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=3708710

Quick search - tons of threads with all the info you need in the link above

Keep in mind the Butler and Concierge are not included in the $10 per day.

http://www.ncl.com/more/fp_mi_w2n.htm#18

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

You win the prize for asking the question for the hundred thousandth time without searching first.

And now we all are impressed that you have got yourself a suite and a butler. Just hope you can remember exactly how much to tip down to the last exact penny all the way to next summer.

You win the prize for asking the question for the hundred thousandth time without searching first.

And now we all are impressed that you have got yourself a suite and a butler. Just hope you can remember exactly how much to tip down to the last exact penny all the way to next summer.

Now that's just not necessary. And, you know it's the hundred thousandth time because you've been posting here for such a long time, right?

Perhaps she doesn't know how the search feature works.

Shoreguy, thank you for providing the link. As usual, you're right on top of things with a helpful hint for everyone.

I agree. Thanks, Shoreguy, for the helpful info. When I checked your link, I realized how easy it would have been to just search, so I appreciate the info.

It's people like you (and 2Cruise4Ever) who make it so easy to get questions answered.

To Vox Veritas, sorry to have just simply ruined your day by asking a question that some others have asked in the past. But don't worry...I'll try to make sure that I check all the boards before posting in the future, just to make sure I don't offend you with my silly questions for the hundred thousandth time. :D

Thanks everyone!

Well. I can't get the search feature or the link to work, so I'm still in the dark as to what would be an appropriate tip. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Donna

We just booked our first "Penthouse Suite complete with butler service". Yahoo! Forgive me for bragging! :o I may just repeat this one hundred thousand times. :rolleyes:

In any case...from what I've read so far, the customary tip for butler service is: $10 per person per day. Now....if your butler goes beyond the call of duty or you feel has done an outstanding job in servicing you then it is very appropriate to tip more than the customary tip. Slipping someone a few extra bucks all week long as they do little extra things for you I feel helps the relationship work much nicer...but that is an individual choice, not a necessary one.

Hope this helps!

Barbara

We just booked our first "Penthouse Suite complete with butler service". Yahoo! Forgive me for bragging! :o I may just repeat this one hundred thousand times. :rolleyes:

In any case...from what I've read so far, the customary tip for butler service is: $10 per person per day. Now....if your butler goes beyond the call of duty or you feel has done an outstanding job in servicing you then it is very appropriate to tip more than the customary tip. Slipping someone a few extra bucks all week long as they do little extra things for you I feel helps the relationship work much nicer...but that is an individual choice, not a necessary one.

Hope this helps!

Barbara

Yikes, that would be $320 for a family of 4 (like us). We gave our butler(s) a combined total of $150 for the week. Our original butler, Lani (God bless her!) left mid-week for a well deserved vacation. Then, Ryan took over (just coming back from vacation). They both did an excellent job! We would have liked to have given more, but that's all our budget would allow.

I'm glad to have set the gold standard :p for tipping at $10pp per day...but that's for a couple in the owner's suite, relying on breakfast service, entertaining and whimiscal things.

When we've had guests in an adjoining cabin, the additional is only $5pp per day and only for days when they join us for breakfast.

When we have a party, we figure $10, plus $1 for each guest, especially if he remains to serve.

As always, you and only you can decide what is best for your budget and how you feel your butler's services have enhanced your cruise, which they will!:D

Have a great time, we'll let you know how the Pearl is, we're trying our first romance suite, too.;)

---->Vox - Get your boxer shorts out of a bunch, buddy

Archived