For Autumns only - Shopping Help!

RI-Sailor

Hi Yankee Cruiser and Fellow Autumns!

Jumping off from that thread about being sick of bla**, I decided we needed some friendly space for ourselves. Winters are only invited if they can get into our mindset! I'm not an expert, but here are some of the clues in knowing if you are an Autumn (or a Fall):

You avoid wearing Bla**, especially near your face, since it can make you look like death warmed over. :eek:

Stark white is also an idea better left for those with other complexions.

You prefer gold over silver (ever try silver framed glasses? :p Yuck!).

You have red, auburn, or brown hair (with or without red highlights).

Your foundation color is called something like "Porcelain bisque" and it's the lightest shade in the line.

If you want to use foundation to cover your freckles, you'd be better off using a color closer to your mascara:( !

You look best in warm muted shades.

So, we are currently both in season, and judging by the stores I've been in lately, in fashion (Yippeee!). I've seen lots of places with Autumn colors out there! I was at Macy's a couple weeks ago and tried on a chocolate brown halter-style cocktail dress with gold beading/sequins on the top. I didn't get it, but did buy a dark brown sleeveless sweater with gold beading and sequins around the peek-a-boo neckline (and on clearance for $20! I like a bargian). The next purchase was the dark muted red sundress ($15 at TJ Maxx). Let me see if I can post the photo again. Whooopss. Deleted the copy that was cropped. I did post it back with the beaded wrap I made on one of Deperate Housewife's threads if you want to go looking for it (and don't worry I'm not quiting my day job to be a designer - I just get fustrated looking for things that don't exist in the stores and so make them myself sometimes).

I did find a nice jacket on sale at a Liz Clayborn outlet store last January (a really nice sale). It's chocolate plaid with blue, tan and some bla**. I found a short sleeve sweater to go under it when the weather warmed up a bit. Then I went back the Liz outlet in early spring anticipating great colors, but found the store full of bright lime, raspberry and orange! I was so disappointed!

But I've been seeing chocolate everywhere. I've been up to the outlets and Off-Fifth had brown with gold cocktail dresses and many other places had brown, tan, pumpkin, slate and other muted colors. Chico's had some of their traveler's line in brown. I'm finding things with wood beads on them (bought a caramel colored sweater with wood beads for work at Marshall's).

As for the wedding trend: I was net-surfing and checking out wedding stuff early this winter (I'm good at planning ahead - cross your fingers my cruise plans turn out better!). It seemed like chocolate replaced bla** and it was out there in combination with either pink or blue (mostly turquiose shades this time around).

So, what are you looking for? What have you found? Dish!!!

I am an autumn too .. and it is looking like a promising season..

I am gonna dish .. but you might have already seen this one

6F2379B_5.jpg

Which is gonna go with this one

Jewelery_001.jpg

For a lot of fun stuff at that newport-news site for us autumns.

I am an autumn too .. and it is looking like a promising season...

For a lot of fun stuff at that newport-news site for us autumns.

Yes, I did catch that and oooohed and ahhhhed. I'm not sure if I could pull it off (what's a waistline?). I'm also a bit of a fiber-snob. I don't do a lot of catalog internet shopping for 3 or 4 reasons: color inaccuracy (though I can't really go wrong with shades of brown), can't touch it until you get it, walking is good exercise (and I spend most of my days at a computer at work), and shipping charges (which are getting less of an issue as gas prices go up).

I always liked tourquise despite the fact that you only see it with silver. Your outfit will look great!:)

RI-Sailor,

Thanks so much for the ideas - and for starting this thread! :) I checked the Macy's website - they've got some great stuff; I'll have to explore further. My biggest challenge is that I can't stand wearing dresses. I much prefer long skirts, boots, and blazers/riding jackets. I really only own one formal dress - have to find two more for our 11-night HAL cruise in February!

I'm also, I must confess, not an autumn - am actually a spring - but can't stand the spring colors, either, usually. I've got the skin coloring to wear the fall colors, and my blonde hair is a rich gold, not pale, so I don't look too washed out. Favorite color is probably a deep brick red, followed by any shade of green you can think of!

If you can stand "trendy" clothes, the fall black label line by Ralph Lauren is fantastic. I also adore the jackets/blazers sold by Gorsuch, out of Aspen (http://www.gorsuchltd.com) - not that I can afford any of them!

I'm an autumn - dark red hair and white, white skin.

I do love black and have lots of it, but the #2 color in my wardrobe is olive green and some variations of it, like sage green.

I mix olive and black alot. I'll wear black clothing with green acessories. I have a gorgeous necklace which is a triple strand of big peruvuan opals and I wear it often. I have olive green suede boots that are mid heeled and lace up the front which are my favorites.

I haven't really shopped for this fall yet, but did buy a few things. I got a very dark olive green silk blouse w/ a roll-up sleeve and epaulets from Banana Republic. From a designer friend I bought an open, lacy knit & crocheted angora sweater in sage green. I'll wear an olive tank top underneath it. Also from her collection I got a fabulous belt - it's stretchy black material and has unique buttons sewn all over it - must have 100 buttons on it in various shades of mother-of-pearl and a few small copper and brass buttons. It closes with velcro so it can be adjusted to fit around waist or hips.

That's it so far.....

Thanks so much for the ideas - and for starting this thread! :) ... I can't stand wearing dresses. I much prefer long skirts, boots, and blazers/riding jackets. I really only own one formal dress - have to find two more for our 11-night HAL cruise in February!

Hey, no problem! We'll have to help you out on the formals some. My personal ideal for skirts (since I was a kid) - the longer and fuller the better!

...not an autumn - am actually a spring - but can't stand the spring colors, either, usually. I've got the skin coloring to wear the fall colors, and my blonde hair is a rich gold, not pale, so I don't look too washed out. Favorite color is probably a deep brick red, followed by any shade of green you can think of!

Well, maybe you are truely an Autumn. It's more about skin and (natural)hair coloring than anything else. I'm not an expert, mostly what I wrote was what I remember and that applied to me (read back in 1980-something) You can be a blond and/or have dark skin and be an Autumn. One of the things I think I remember correctly is if you look better in gold (yellow-gold, that is) you are an Autumn or Spring. I could be wrong about the Spring part. Winters (like my mother) do better with silver and I think so do Summers. It's Springs and Summers that I can't remember (and I think my sister is one or the other).

I usually default to what are I think Spring colors when I can't find good Autumn colors (though I can sneak into the mens department and find a few things from time to time in casual wear - like sweaters and mock-necks). I do well with greens (bring out the hazel eyes), peach/corals, and will wear tourquise shades too. Oh, and I have a navy blue "job interview" suit, dark plum "job interview" suit, navy blue pinstripe pantsuit, and navy coatdress (for work, mainly). My "formal" is a plum/purple gown worn as MOH at my sister's wedding (I was the only adult female attendant, so Mom & I had some input on my gown - we talked sis out of navy blue - which I, at the time was thinking "it's such a business color!" - the plum/purple is so much more "social").

If you can stand "trendy" clothes, the fall black label line by Ralph Lauren is fantastic. I also adore the jackets/blazers sold by Gorsuch, out of Aspen (www.gorsuchltd.com) - not that I can afford any of them!

I'll have to check them out. My funds are limited too, so I'm more a bargain-hunter than a label shopper if you hadn't noticed! I'm tall, not-so-thin (wear about a size 18-20, depending), and have size 10W feet! Can I ask at least what size range you are looking for in a formal?

Oh, and when I looked last year to replace my navy blue trench coat - I looked and looked and looked thru seas of bla** and tan until I finally found a muted meduim green, size 18 tall (long enough sleeves!), washable one! I bought that in a heartbeat!

Jane110: I'm an autumn - dark red hair and white, white skin.

Wow! Real redhead!

I do love black and have lots of it, but the #2 color in my wardrobe is olive green and some variations of it, like sage green.

I mix olive and black alot. I'll wear black clothing with green acessories. I have a gorgeous necklace which is a triple strand of big peruvuan opals and I wear it often. I have olive green suede boots that are mid heeled and lace up the front which are my favorites.

OK, you can wear your bla**.:) Olive and bla** sounds pretty good. (Don't tell those Winters out there, I really do have some bla**. I just hate shopping an only finding bla**!)

I haven't really shopped for this fall yet, but did buy a few things. I got a very dark olive green silk blouse w/ a roll-up sleeve and epaulets from Banana Republic. From a designer friend I bought an open, lacy knit & crocheted angora sweater in sage green. I'll wear an olive tank top underneath it. Also from her collection I got a fabulous belt - it's stretchy black material and has unique buttons sewn all over it - must have 100 buttons on it in various shades of mother-of-pearl and a few small copper and brass buttons. It closes with velcro so it can be adjusted to fit around waist or hips.

That's it so far.....

Sounds good to me (save the angora - allergies!:( )! Love buttons! Do you ever see "Threads" magazine? They just did an article on buttons for trim. Buttons also seem to be out along with the beads and sequins.

Well, I should go get some dinner!

Wow! Real redhead!

Yup!

Sounds good to me (save the angora - allergies!:( )! Love buttons! Do you ever see "Threads" magazine? They just did an article on buttons for trim. Buttons also seem to be out along with the beads and sequins.

No, don't know the magazine. If it's for people that sew, it's not for me.

Though I do know just about every button company in NY!

Button's are out? I thought they were in?

No, don't know the magazine. If it's for people that sew, it's not for me. Though I do know just about every button company in NY!

Button's are out? I thought they were in?

Whoooppss! "Out" as in out in the stores, rather than out of fashion. :) I didn't know if I dared to go as far as to say "In" in case they'd been around and I hadn't noticed!:cool:

I think I might be an Autum - even though I have dirty blonde hair I do have goldenish/greenish brown eyes. So I don't know WHICH category I fit in, but I would think Autumn would be closest.

Sorry, I was writing when you posted. But anyway, you could be an Autumn. Sometimes just looking at different colors in a mirror (with natural light, if possible) can help you decide. Anybody can wear some shade of any color, it's just determining which group is best for you.

My personal ideal for skirts (since I was a kid) - the longer and fuller the better!

Me too! I love to wear full-length skirts - usually straight - with boots...

Well, maybe you are truely an Autumn. It's more about skin and (natural)hair coloring than anything else. I'm not an expert, mostly what I wrote was what I remember and that applied to me (read back in 1980-something) You can be a blond and/or have dark skin and be an Autumn. One of the things I think I remember correctly is if you look better in gold (yellow-gold, that is) you are an Autumn or Spring. I could be wrong about the Spring part. Winters (like my mother) do better with silver and I think so do Summers. It's Springs and Summers that I can't remember (and I think my sister is one or the other).

Yeah, I had my "colors" done back in high school, came up as a "warm spring" - same as my mom. Definitely can't wear silver, and gold-colored clothes look horrible on me (I had a gorgeous Tahari dress in a muted gold, but had to get rid of it, as it just looked terrible) as do pastels. I need rich - but not heavy - colors. Natural hair color is a medium gold blonde, skin tone is gold too - in fact, right now, my hair and arms are almost the same color! Scary...

I usually default to what are I think Spring colors when I can't find good Autumn colors (though I can sneak into the mens department and find a few things from time to time in casual wear - like sweaters and mock-necks). I do well with greens (bring out the hazel eyes), peach/corals, and will wear tourquise shades too. Oh, and I have a navy blue "job interview" suit, dark plum "job interview" suit, navy blue pinstripe pantsuit, and navy coatdress (for work, mainly). My "formal" is a plum/purple gown worn as MOH at my sister's wedding (I was the only adult female attendant, so Mom & I had some input on my gown - we talked sis out of navy blue - which I, at the time was thinking "it's such a business color!" - the plum/purple is so much more "social").

I can definitely wear the turquoise, and peach/coral if they are rich. I look great in raspberry and other deep pinks. My suits are lime green, chocolate brown, camel/ivory houndstooth, and blue - I love medium blue colors (not navy - it's too dark). I don't do well in purple, unless it is just right. Green is the best color for me, all shades, except too dark an olive, or emerald.

Can I ask at least what size range you are looking for in a formal?

I'm fairly short - 5'3" if I stand up really tall, and am slim, but not skinny-thin. I have a very short torso and really long legs (that's why I love the long skirts). And I'm really small on top, so I can't wear strapless or even spaghetti strap dresses - or empire waist - 'cause they just look stupid.

Oh, and when I looked last year to replace my navy blue trench coat - I looked and looked and looked thru seas of bla** and tan until I finally found a muted meduim green, size 18 tall (long enough sleeves!), washable one! I bought that in a heartbeat!

My trench and winter driving coat are both cherry red; my spring coat is raspberry, my fall a cranberry courderoy. I agree - trying to find a coat that isn't bla** or tan is hard!!

Me too! I love to wear full-length skirts - usually straight - with boots...

OK, let's skip the boots for formal night ;)

...I had my "colors" done back in high school, came up as a "warm spring" - same as my mom. Definitely can't wear silver, and gold-colored clothes look horrible .... I need rich - but not heavy - colors. Natural hair color is a medium gold blonde, skin tone is gold too - in fact, right now, my hair and arms are almost the same color! Scary...

If the professionals deemed you a "Spring" I'm not going to argue!

I can definitely wear the turquoise, and peach/coral if they are rich. I look great in raspberry and other deep pinks. My suits are lime green, chocolate brown, camel/ivory houndstooth, and blue - I love medium blue colors (not navy - it's too dark). I don't do well in purple, unless it is just right. Green is the best color for me, all shades, except too dark an olive, or emerald.

Actually, all 6 of us maids at my cousin's wedding looked good in the brightish-medium green we wore despite the differences in our coloring (from blond to very dark haired and pale to olive-y skin)! Green is good for a lot of people (except my friend Gail!).

I'm fairly short - 5'3" if I stand up really tall, and am slim, but not skinny-thin. I have a very short torso and really long legs (that's why I love the long skirts). And I'm really small on top, so I can't wear strapless or even spaghetti strap dresses - or empire waist - 'cause they just look stupid.

Sounds like you need something that will accentuate your top and balance out the length of your legs. :rolleyes: wwg073_zi?$product$

The bright red dress (hopefully it will show up) is from the Dillards website (been checking it out on other CC'ers recommendations). Wrong color, but more substantial top than most.weg104_zi?$product$

Dark red dress has emphasis on the top with detail at the hip (lengthen the torso, shorten the legs). Also on Dillards website. I'm also guessing that you don't want anything too fussy based on the websites you posted.

I'm going to stop here and try to post this.

Didn't lose that post after all, but here's another gown:

Again, the Dillard's website, since so many people have recommended it here. Here's one that may be OK for you, but wrong size:(Ignite Grecian Gown) weg055_zi?$product$ Substantial top with detail at the neckline.

Dark red dress has emphasis on the top with detail at the hip (lengthen the torso, shorten the legs). Also on Dillards website. I'm also guessing that you don't want anything too fussy based on the websites you posted.

I love that second red one - I definitely have to find that one. Thanks so much!! Wow, my own personal shopper... ;)

As I was polishing silver jewelery in preparation for the cruise in October (LOL .. busy putting it all together cause October is gonna be busy at work) .. DH said .. hey why aren't you wearing that necklace with that new brown "thing" you bought .. Who knew he was paying attention to what I am posting on here ... LOL

sapphire 377.jpg

I love that second red one - I definitely have to find that one. Thanks so much!! Wow, my own personal shopper... ;)

Not really, it's not like I sized you up, decided what shades were good, etc.,etc. (and you-know-who gave me no color sense whatsoever!). I just surfed over to Dillard's and browsed for gowns. Such hard work!!:rolleyes:

DH said .. hey why aren't you wearing that necklace with that new brown "thing" you bought .. Who knew he was paying attention to what I am posting on here ... LOL

Well, why not?:confused: I love the "new" one, and think it works better than the plain one because it has the brown shades in it!

Archived