Is there a Caribbean Night on FOS?

KS17

I've read many posts stating that they usually dine at Portofinos or Chops on Caribbean Night. Do all the ships have Caribbean Night, specifically Freedom of Seas? If so, what kind of menu does the dining room have on this night? I'm guessing it's not very appealing since it seems to be a popular night to eat elsewhere?

This will be our first cruise and we are trying to decide if we'll treat ourselves to one of the specialty restaurants, and if so, which one will we go to and on which night. So many decisions. :rolleyes:

I was on Freedom last week and to be honest - I don't remember a Carribean night. What I can tell you is that the food was excellent and there was always a good selection on the menu. We ate in the dining rom every night and never made it to Portofino or Chops. If you want to go to one of these restaurants - make a reservation as soon as you get on the ship.

We had an amazing time on Freedom and if this is your first cruise - you are starting with the best. You should also get tickets (free) to the ice show - they are distributed Monday 9:45 - 10:00am in the On Air Club. The show is excellent and the tickets go fast. If you forget - show up at the rink a few minutes before the show and you should be able to get seats - lots of people don't show up after getting tickets.

Other great choices for late nioght entertainment are the Schooner Bar - with Piano player Peter Ritz and the Bear and the Bull Pub with Jimmy Blakemore.

If you have any questions or want to knbow about anything else on the Freedom - let me know.

To Easyrider

Thanks for your reply. We are very excited about our first cruise. I do have another question about the shows. Right now we are scheduled for the late seating. I am debating changing to the main seating as I didn't realize the late seating was 8:45. (I thought it would be closer to 8:00). At first, we didn't want to feel rushed to get ready for an early dinner, but I have been reading that many of the shows for the late seating are pre-dinner. So now I'm confused. We pretty much want to do it all, as unrealistic as it may seem. Were there many shows after the late seating? Or were most before? Which shows would you recommend as a must see? Did the menu vary much from night to night in the dining room?

Thanks for your help.

To Easyrider

Thanks for your reply. We are very excited about our first cruise. I do have another question about the shows. Right now we are scheduled for the late seating. I am debating changing to the main seating as I didn't realize the late seating was 8:45. (I thought it would be closer to 8:00). At first, we didn't want to feel rushed to get ready for an early dinner, but I have been reading that many of the shows for the late seating are pre-dinner. So now I'm confused. We pretty much want to do it all, as unrealistic as it may seem. Were there many shows after the late seating? Or were most before? Which shows would you recommend as a must see? Did the menu vary much from night to night in the dining room?

Thanks for your help.

We took the late seating as well. It worked out well for us. Here is the run down of the show times/titles and meal themes from last week:

day 1 - 7:00 pre-dinner show - welcome abord show

day 2 - 10:45 post-dinner show - marquee - a tribute to shows that light up broadway, Captain's Gala Dinner

day 3 - 7:00 pre-dinner show -A man of 1000 voices, Venitian feast dinner. Also adult comedy show at 12:15

day 4 - 7:00 & 9:00 Ice show (tickets required), surf dinner

day 5 - 10:45 - Magician - Ice Show 5:00, 7:00, Crown & Anchor Dinner

day 6 - 7:00 pre-dinner show - Once upon a time - Chef's dinner

day 7 - 7:00 pm pre-dinner show - farewell variety show - Feast of nations dinner.

i only saw the welcome aboard show (excellent) and the ice show (excellent). my wife and daughter saw the magician and said he was great. i heard all the other shows were excellent as well. in addition, there are themed parties (70's dance party on day 3, surf party on day 4, 80's party and adult club party on day 6, and finally a farewell dance party on day 7). There is plenty to do and while i normally go to all the shows, there were so many options on Freedom, I just couldn't do it all. We also had a great time in the Schooner bar and the Bull and Bear pub, singing along with the entertainers.

As to the menu - there was always something I wnated to eat. you can always get steak or chicken breast - if you don't like the main menue selections, however, i thought the selection was very good. we liked the dining room food so much - we didn't mind not getting a reservation at the 2 specialty restaurants.

On The Freedom ---- what does "surf night" entail? Is it lobster?

Linda

No...Lobster is on one of the formal nights. Surf night is just like Caribbean night but they have changed the name in honor of the Flowrider. It is a very casual night and the cruise compass says "come dressed is your surfing attire" which means you can wear shorts on surf night.

I was wondering about the lobster too! I didn't realize that it was served for one of the formal nights. That's good to know because we were thinking of only attending one formal night, and I wouldn't want to miss the lobster. :p

Archived