Orient Beach - Cruise Line or On Our Own

CeeAtSea

Hey All,

Which would be better, use the cruise line excursion (RCI) to Orient Beach or should we just do it on our own?

If we do it on our own, do we pay to have access to beach chairs, bar, etc. The cruise line excursion usually only stays there for 2 - 2 1/2 hours. We'd like to stay longer. I know that there are different "areas/bars/restaurants", which one is best?

What are your thoughts? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

After a couple of dozen (or more) cruises, with all of their cruiseline-offered excursions, I have to say that this choice is the number one no-brainer of all time.

Do it on your own!

At the cruise facility there is taxi area that accomodates up to 88 taxis. Most of them are mini-vans. Tell them that you're headed to Orient and pile in. The Official Rates vary depending on how many people are in the taxi, but should run you about $6 per person (each way) if you form a small group while you're waiting.

When you get to Orient, you'll probably be dropped at Pedro's, on the boarder with Club Orient, the clothing optional beach/resort. Get a photo of yourself at the sign -- you visited the nude beach:)

Just walk down the beach until you find an area that feels good. There will be various music playing, different styles of chairs and umbrellas, different activities available, as you walk along. Check out this panoramic of the beach provided by Ed and Sandra.

Ask what chairs and umbrellas cost for the day. Expect to pay between $15 and $20 for two chairs and an umbrella. A free drink and/or bathroom facilities may be included. If you're planning on lunch, check out a menu for prices as well. Some of the places can be a bit expensive.

And rest easy -- there will be plenty of taxis available for the return trip all day.

gary

We were there in 2004 and did it on our own. We had 2 kids with us and we went to Bikini Beach. I think we paid maybe $20 for 2 chairs and an umbrella. We spent a lot of time in the water. It was about $6 each for the taxi and they picked us back up about 4 hours later. The afternoon flew and we easily could have spent more time if the ship wasn't leaving! We were on the Disney Magic then so I don't know what RCCL is charging but I see no reason not to do it on your own, especially if you want more time.

Jenn

It's definitely worth your time to check out the prices for chairs and umbrella. Some of the places such as Kon Tiki, Kakao, Bikini Beach and Waikiki Beach are very expensive. I usually pay $12 for 2 chairs, umbrella, 2 drinks (any drink on the menu), and bathroom passes. Since my price is for a longer term basis, expect to pay $14 as a minimum.

For eats, go anywhere you want as you're not tied to the place where you got the chairs.

I would also stay away from Bikini Beach as that's where most of the cruisers are herded into. You'll also be pestered by LOTS of vendors all day long.

It's definitely worth your time to check out the prices for chairs and umbrella. Some of the places such as Kon Tiki, Kakao, Bikini Beach and Waikiki Beach are very expensive. I would also stay away from Bikini Beach as that's where most of the cruisers are herded into. You'll also be pestered by LOTS of vendors all day long.

Are all the beaches above part of Orient Beach? If so, how do you know which section you are at? Are there signs posted or something?

It's definitely worth your time to check out the prices for chairs and umbrella. Some of the places such as Kon Tiki, Kakao, Bikini Beach and Waikiki Beach are very expensive. I usually pay $12 for 2 chairs, umbrella, 2 drinks (any drink on the menu), and bathroom passes. Since my price is for a longer term basis, expect to pay $14 as a minimum.

For eats, go anywhere you want as you're not tied to the place where you got the chairs.

I would also stay away from Bikini Beach as that's where most of the cruisers are herded into. You'll also be pestered by LOTS of vendors all day long.

kal and gtaylor - do you guys have any spots where you typically find good bargains? The music isn't all that important to me - if I can find a place where I can get 2 chairs, an umbrella, and 2 drinks for $12, I am there.....

I get the $12 price at The Pirate, but it's based on staying more than one day. Most of the places between Pedro's and Kon Tiki will negotiate a good price so just tell them what you want to pay and see what they say. If they are full, or nearly full, they probably won't budge, but if they have lots of room, they might go for your price.

The further you go down the beach, starting at Kon Tiki, the prices are firm and the food is quite expensive.

I get the $12 price at The Pirate, but it's based on staying more than one day. Most of the places between Pedro's and Kon Tiki will negotiate a good price so just tell them what you want to pay and see what they say. If they are full, or nearly full, they probably won't budge, but if they have lots of room, they might go for your price.

The further you go down the beach, starting at Kon Tiki, the prices are firm and the food is quite expensive.

Good info here. Kal - thanks again, my friend.

Archived