question regarding post-cruise hotel

smurd83

This may be a personal preferance type of question..but I've never been on a cruise before so I thought I'd at least ask..

We're going on the Adventure of the Seas next year for our honeymoon and we're staying one extra night in San Juan, PR post-cruise. We've both been to Old San Juan before, but only once and I'm sure there's plenty more to see..and the El Convento hotel seems REALLY nice..

However, I'm not sure how we're going to feel after the cruise..it's a pretty port-intensive itinerary (San Juan, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, San Juan) so I don't know if we're going to be beached-out or touristed-out..

I guess the question is, do you normally get your fill of beach time in the ports of call? Or do you find yourself wishing you weren't strapped to a time commitment when heading to a beach? I'm just not sure if we're going to be wanting to just relax and chill on the beach or enjoy Old San Juan...

I understand this is probably a personal preferance type of thing, but hey if you feel like contributing any suggestions/tips at all, I'll accept them with open arms! :) Thanks!

After our Barbados itinerary cruise, my best friend and I had a ball exploring Old San Juan. We had done mostly beach activities so having the opporunity to just take our time and wander around and see the sights at our will was really fun. I've heard amazing things about the El Convento so I think it would be really worth it, especially since it will be your honeymoon.

You are right.... it just depends. It depends on what you do on each island. How much beach time is too much beach time ???? DH and I are both divers/surfers/beach people - but try to balance beach time with "other" time. Of course we live by a beach so that factors in too.

We stayed at the El Convento last Nov. for 2 nights precruise. We loved strolling around old San Juan - stopping to shop or eat or just sit. We knew we had plenty of beach time worked into our excursions on each island (we usually rent a car and "do our own thing") so Old San Juan it was for us. As for chilling out......I can manage that at the beach or in osj ;)

So I would look at what you have planned overall for each island.... then decide if it includes enough "beach time" :p

Thank you both for the great insight! As of right now, my fiance wants the honeymoon to be a surprise...so she has no idea at all where we're going..which is kind of cool. Except when it comes to planning like this, I don't think it would be very wise for me to make all of the excursion decisions on my own. But knowing her, she'll want a happy medium of both beach and tourismizing..and since we have an aft balcony cabin, I think we'll get enough water views to like a change of scenery. Right now I'd say I'm leaning towards Old San Juan. Thanks again!

Archived