Coki Beach Vs Trunk Bay?

SUN TURNIP

Can Anyone Tell Me What The Difference Is Between The Two (for Snorkeling)? Also. Should I Book The Excursion On The Boat Or Try To Do It On My Own B/c It Will Be Cheaper?

Also If You Have Been To One Or Both I Would Like Your Input.

Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...

I would really like to know this as well. We are cruising in October and are trying to find the best location for some snorkeling on our stops. I think I've narrowed it down to St. Thomas or St. John but would love it if someone could weigh in on this.:rolleyes:

I havent been to Coki or Cinnimon, but I have been to Trunk Bay. I can tell you that the water is very clear and the beach is clean. They have pylons in the water with pictures of the coral, fishes and plants that you are seeing while snorkeling in certain areas. This is cool to look at a fish and say...I wonder what that is and then there is a pylon with a plaque on it showing you a picture of the fish and its name. We loved it there. I have heard good things about the others too, but we loved Trunk Bay.

Some people take the ferry from Red Hook, but we took the excursion from the ship. Its my opinion that if your with the ships excursion and its late getting back, the ship knows where you are. If you are on a private tour, they dont know that. All they know is that you got off the ship. Plus I know the ships excursion people will get us back in time for sure.

What ever you choose, I am sure it will be nice as all three of these places are nice.

We have been to both Trunk Bay, and Coki Beach, and both are vary good! We have been returning to Coki Beach in the last two years, because we like the set up there for diving, and then snorkeling or just enjoying the water. The beach is smaller at Coki Beach if you plan to hang out there, but the people are friendly! If you go to Coki Beach, you will be fine doing the excursion on your own. If you go to Trunk Bay you might want to book through the ship, so you won't have to worry about getting taxis and ferries. It's not a big problem, but you do have to watch your time. (IMO)

Kathy

event.png

St. John is gorgeous and Trunk Bay is a great place to snorkel but it take soo long to get there and back..so lately we've been taking a taxi to Coki in the a.m. and getting back in plenty of time to SHOP.. going over to trunk bay will eat up most of the day.. snorkeling is just as good at coki

St. John is gorgeous and Trunk Bay is a great place to snorkel but it take soo long to get there and back..so lately we've been taking a taxi to Coki in the a.m. and getting back in plenty of time to SHOP.. going over to trunk bay will eat up most of the day.. snorkeling is just as good at coki

It took us about 50 mins from dock to beach when we did this. The boat that took us was pretty quick....maybe 35 mins or so, then till we unloaded and got on the bus about another few minutes. Maybe it took us about 1 hr total, but we had plenty of time there to snorkel and relax and make it back in plenty of time.

Can Anyone Tell Me What The Difference Is Between The Two (for Snorkeling)? Also. Should I Book The Excursion On The Boat Or Try To Do It On My Own B/c It Will Be Cheaper?

Also If You Have Been To One Or Both I Would Like Your Input.

Thanks!!

We did trunk bay on our own. It was fun to research and do it. We left havensight at 7:37 am and our taxi driver got us to red hook at 7:57 - we got to the beach at 8:27 ....so about 50 mins. We were the only ones on the beach for about 45 mins and then an excursion came along (the one from our ship) The excursion came and went and we were still snorkeling...we left and got on the 12 pm ferry back to red hook and we were eating at the buffet at 12:45 - 1 with 5 more hours to spare.

We saw all kinds of wild life, Lobster, Tarpon, a little reef shark, lots of Yellow fin tuna.

Btw we saved 20 pp doing it on our own.

Whatever you do enjoy.

Archived