Any place to buy cartons of Cokes in Yvr

winncove

near Sutton Place Hotel? Will RCCL Serenade allow you to take to rm if they are visible? If not, guess I'll have to pay the extra for a "basket delivery" since that's still cheaper & handier to have in my rm. Meds make me thirsty & need the caffeine free diet coke!

Had 4 auto responses from TSA since 8/23 then 3 more yesterday re:med list from Dr. instead of all the bottles. Still no answer! Another thread a woman from Spain is asking the same question & says even their controlled drugs don't have their names on the bottles. At least she can probably get the pharnacist to make new labels for her.

There is an IGA Marketplace a half block south right on Burrard Street, you cant miss it where you can pick up your Coke. As for getting the pop onboard I cant see a problem especially if they don't offer the caffeine free pop on board. We are also leaving on the 17th but on the Veendam!

Had 4 auto responses from TSA since 8/23 then 3 more yesterday re:med list from Dr. instead of all the bottles. Still no answer! Another thread a woman from Spain is asking the same question & says even their controlled drugs don't have their names on the bottles. At least she can probably get the pharnacist to make new labels for her.

We just returned from travelling to Alaska and return and had no issues with ANY of our medications. We had the 'daily' pill containers packed in our hand luggage and TSA didn't raise any issues upon xraying them. If carrying controlled substances, I would imagine you'd need a letter from doctor or pharmacist in any case to prove legitimacy. Good luck.

In addition the aforementioned Marketplace next door to the Sutton Place (go out the front door, turn right and it's right there on the first corner south!), there's a London drug store a few blocks west on Robson you can try (go out the front door, turn left, turn left again at the first intersection Robson, go about 3 blocks and it's on the right). Just off Robson, near a McDonald's and not far from the London's, there is a 7-11 too.

Pharmasave at 499 Granville St. If you are looking at Vancouver from the cruise ships, it is 2 blocks to your left to get to Granville St and 4 blocks up.
You are referring to Canada Place and not Ballantyne where this poster is sailing out of. There is NOTHING near Ballantyne. If you want to bring something onboard, you need to shop near your hotel and bring it (with your luggage) to the terminal. Don't expect to shop near Ballantyne.

Terpnut - thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, we are not staying at a hotel - we are flying in the same day we cruise.

Is it far to take a taxi from the pier?

Also, since we are using the US Direct transfers and will be bused directly from the airport to the ship pier, will we be allowed to take a taxi (if necessary) to a nearby store, or will we be forced to go ahead and get on the ship????

We leave in 2 days so any advice would be great!!!

Terpnut - thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, we are not staying at a hotel - we are flying in the same day we cruise.

Is it far to take a taxi from the pier?

Also, since we are using the US Direct transfers and will be bused directly from the airport to the ship pier, will we be allowed to take a taxi (if necessary) to a nearby store, or will we be forced to go ahead and get on the ship????

We leave in 2 days so any advice would be great!!!

If you are using US Direct, then everything we've discussed here is irrelevant since you will go directly from airport to pier to ship with no side trips in between. Afterall, isn't that the whole point of you paying extra to stay cleared or "sterile"? If you were allowed to make a side trip to shop, then you're no longer clear and would have to go through US Customs like everyone else. If you had wanted to buy sodas to bring onboard, you should have saved your US Direct money. Then you could've just taken a cab from the airport and any nearby store for supplies, go to the pier, check-in, clear customs and get onboard. In summary, with US Direct, taking a taxi here or there is not an option for you at all--you go straight onboard.

First of all - we didn't "Pay extra" for the US Direct program. It is included in our cruise/air package.

Second - clearing customs is something that is done at the airport when we arrive from the U.S. to Canada - not at the ship. Therefore, I don't see what asking about a store near the port has to do with once we arrive at the pier.

I wasn't expecting to be able to stop between the airport and the pier. I was asking about once we REACHED the pier, would we be able to then take a taxi or walk to something closeby to make a purchase at a local drug store.

First of all - we didn't "Pay extra" for the US Direct program. It is included in our cruise/air package.

Whether it is shown as a separate line cost item on your "package" or not, you paid a lot extra for it. You can have cruise/air packages without it (e.g. people who overnight in Vancouver cannot do this option obviously). So you did pay extra for it whether you knew it or not.

Second - clearing customs is something that is done at the airport when we arrive from the U.S. to Canada - not at the ship. Therefore, I don't see what asking about a store near the port has to do with once we arrive at the pier.
You apparently don't understand the Customs routine. As a US citizen, you usually have to clear Canadian Customs at the airport (so you can officially enter Canada) and then have to clear U.S. Customs at Ballantyne Pier (where you officially reenter the U.S.). The purpose of US Direct is so you can skip both of these because lots of cruise passengers are simply flying in just to board the cruise in Vancouver. They accomplish this "sanitizing" by transporting you directly from a pre-Canadian Customs, secured area at the airport straight to a secured, post-US Customs area at Ballantyne pier. So you CANNOT leave the pier without having to clear both Customs! Perhaps you didn't realize that the post-US Customs portion of Ballantyne and Radiance herself are officially considered U.S. SOIL?!

I wasn't expecting to be able to stop between the airport and the pier. I was asking about once we REACHED the pier, would we be able to then take a taxi or walk to something closeby to make a purchase at a local drug store.
Again, once the US Direct has transported you to the post-US Customs area of Ballantyne, you are on U. S. soil officially and CANNOT reenter Canada without clearing Canadian Customs to go shopping. Then you will have to reclear US Customs to get back on the ship--thus defeating the entire convenience and extra cost you paid for US Direct. Regardless, there is NOTHING near Ballantyne for you to shop at--US Direct or not. Have a great cruise!

Terpnut:

I am not familiar with US Direct, but why do you think the traveller would be on "U.S. soil" at Ballantyne Pier?

Any person legally entering Canada via land, sea, or air must clear Canadian Customs and Immigration. The land and the water at the piers are Canadian and Royal Caribbean, it's parent company, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., is incorporated in the Republic of Liberia. There may be U.S. Customs and Immigration officials onboard to pre-clear passengers for when they disembark at a port in the United States.

During a cruise, in some countries, the Customs and Immigration officers board the ship a day or more prior to docking in a port and passengers are required to individually appear before these officers, passport in hand to be verified and stamped before being allowed to get off the ship. In other countries, the Customs and Immigration officers board the ship, review and stamp the passports, and the passengers never see these officials. Again, this is during the cruise. I am not talking about the end of a cruise.

breenw:

I have embarked a cruise in Vancouver, boarded the ship and walked off of it again to do exactly what you are talking about - shopping. I never had a problem getting back on the ship after the brief expedition.

Terpnut:

I am not familiar with US Direct, but why do you think the traveller would be on "U.S. soil" at Ballantyne Pier?

Any person legally entering Canada via land, sea, or air must clear Canadian Customs and Immigration. The land and the water at the piers are Canadian and Royal Caribbean, it's parent company, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., is incorporated in the Republic of Liberia. There may be U.S. Customs and Immigration officials onboard to pre-clear passengers for when they disembark at a port in the United States.

During a cruise, in some countries, the Customs and Immigration officers board the ship a day or more prior to docking in a port and passengers are required to individually appear before these officers, passport in hand to be verified and stamped before being allowed to get off the ship. In other countries, the Customs and Immigration officers board the ship, review and stamp the passports, and the passengers never see these officials. Again, this is during the cruise. I am not talking about the end of a cruise.

breenw:

I have embarked a cruise in Vancouver, boarded the ship and walked off of it again to do exactly what you are talking about - shopping. I never had a problem getting back on the ship after the brief expedition.

I'm not sure when you last sailed out of Vancouver, but nowadays, you clear US Customs upon boarding Alaskan cruises--not onboard, not at the US ports. Thus, those secured areas of Canada Place or Ballantyne piers that are after U. S. Customs, are considered "US soil" in my phraselogy. It may not be officially "US soil", but you have been cleared by US Customs. US Direct program takes you straight there somehow. Thus if you leave the cruise terminal, you theoretically need to reclear customs again.

KarenH - thank you for your information. We will wait and see what happens when we get there to the pier.

Terpnut - I guess I will be cordial and say thank you for your information but whether you mean to or not, you come across as very pompous with your responses.

When people ask questions on these boards, they appreciate answers - not feel like they are being lectured to.

KarenH - thank you for your information. We will wait and see what happens when we get there to the pier.

Terpnut - I guess I will be cordial and say thank you for your information but whether you mean to or not, you come across as very pompous with your responses.

When people ask questions on these boards, they appreciate answers - not feel like they are being lectured to.

I certainly don't mean to lecture or talk down to you as I'm just trying to provide information based on my own research and personal experiences in Vancouver and Ballantyne/Radiance. I guess I was frankly surprised that you did not fully understand what you were buying when you chose US Direct--as its express purpose is to avoid the hassle of dealing with clearing dual Customs and thus you agreed to not step foot on Canadian territory by doing so. IOW, you stay in the US through the entire trip and never enter Canada (from a Customs perspective)! Anyhow I hope you can understand my confusion when you asked whether you could leave the pier to go buy stuff in Canada. Anyhow, I'm sorry if I sounded pompous and sincerely hope you have a great cruise! :)

Terpnut: Thx for the info. Hopefully the next door Marketplace will have Caffeine Free Diet Coke, which can be hard to find locally. Of course I may need the caffeine for this trip! Just curious..what is London's that u ref. as a landmark? First time ever to Yvr.

Btw..I didn't interpret any of your responses as "pompous", just informative. Sorry that sometimes written words can be misread here. We should all try to give each other the benefit of the doubt. Need all the benefits of more experienced cruisers I can get!

THX.

Terpnut: Thx for the info. Hopefully the next door Marketplace will have Caffeine Free Diet Coke, which can be hard to find locally. Of course I may need the caffeine for this trip! Just curious..what is London's that u ref. as a landmark? First time ever to Yvr.

Btw..I didn't interpret any of your responses as "pompous", just informative. Sorry that sometimes written words can be misread here. We should all try to give each other the benefit of the doubt. Need all the benefits of more experienced cruisers I can get!

THX.

Thanks, I appreciate your understanding! From what I recall, I don't seem to recall either the Marketplace or London's having such a wide variety of soda/pop that they would have Caffeine Free Diet Coke. I'm crossing my fingers for you, but please don't count on it! As for London Drug, it seems to be a major Canadian drug store chain that's similar to a CVS or Walgreens. Also, as just an FYI, "YVR" is a code for Vancouver International Airport and not really an abbreviation for Vancouver. Anyhow, hope this information helps! Have a great trip everyone--I wish I were going again!

Thanks, I appreciate your understanding! From what I recall, I don't seem to recall either the Marketplace or London's having such a wide variety of soda/pop that they would have Caffeine Free Diet Coke. I'm crossing my fingers for you, but please don't count on it! As for London Drug, it seems to be a major Canadian drug store chain that's similar to a CVS or Walgreens. Also, as just an FYI, "YVR" is a code for Vancouver International Airport and not really an abbreviation for Vancouver. Anyhow, hope this information helps! Have a great trip everyone--I wish I were going again!

You obviously have never been to an IGA Marketplace or London Drugs in Vancouver, as they do have Caffiene Free Diet Coke, I live downtown Vancouver and I can buy it there anytime.

Also, as just an FYI, "YVR" is a code for Vancouver International Airport and not really an abbreviation for Vancouver.

ROFL. I'm totally aware of that..just too lazy to type it all out. Think all understand! That's how you get in trouble Terpnut! :D

Winncove - your response is exactly why I felt Terpnut was being "pompous". There is no reason to correct little things when someone is asking a question. Yes, most people understand when you say I'm going to YVR, that means Vancouver - not just the airport. That is the point I was trying to make is feeling like Terpnut was tearing apart every question/response that is posted here.

I don't feel like anyone is an expert on a particular port - there are always different experiences for different people. Such as above, I have Terpnut saying there's no way to leave the cruise terminal to go shopping for cokes, and then another poster says they had no trouble doing it.

When we ask questions - we appreciate everyone's experiences - I just don't appreciate someone trying to make me feel stupid when they ask "why did you do......if you didn't want......"""

You obviously have never been to an IGA Marketplace or London Drugs in Vancouver, as they do have Caffiene Free Diet Coke, I live downtown Vancouver and I can buy it there anytime.
Been to both quite a few times actually, but as I don't drink sodas, I was merely speculating for Winncove since she asked. As you have the definitive answer, I'm now very happy she will get her soda! :D

Winncove - your response is exactly why I felt Terpnut was being "pompous". There is no reason to correct little things when someone is asking a question. Yes, most people understand when you say I'm going to YVR, that means Vancouver - not just the airport. That is the point I was trying to make is feeling like Terpnut was tearing apart every question/response that is posted here.

I don't feel like anyone is an expert on a particular port - there are always different experiences for different people. Such as above, I have Terpnut saying there's no way to leave the cruise terminal to go shopping for cokes, and then another poster says they had no trouble doing it.

When we ask questions - we appreciate everyone's experiences - I just don't appreciate someone trying to make me feel stupid when they ask "why did you do......if you didn't want......"""

When someone asks a question, I answer it directly. I get worried when a subsequent post or comment continues to give wrong information. It really doesn't matter to me if you like me or believe me, but I do, for the sake of others reading the thread, or doing future searches, want to get your "little things" straight:

1. US Direct is not free and you did pay for it

2. You do NOT clear all customs at Vancouver airport (YVR). If you are not a US Direct passenger, you clear Canadian customs at YVR, and then US Customs at Ballantyne (after getting your SeaPass).

3. Someone else said that they once freely embarked and disembarked a cruise at Ballantyne but I pointed out that you can't do that today, and especially if you are a US Direct passenger--why would you?

4. As for "YVR", there are many people out there who have NO idea what we are referring to. For the benefit of all others, we really should be clear and specific in our posts. Please remember this thread is not just for the 4-5 of us but others read it and future CC members may do searches to find it!

BTW, if you don't believe me, please do a search on "US Direct" or similar topics as this topic has been covered over and over elsewhere. Sorry Winncove for "hijacking" your thread.

Anyhow, if I come across as pompous or insulting, I am truly sorry. Winncove is right in that much gets lost in words as they are typed. Ultimately I hope I've offered some information of value, but if you don't agree or find my zealousness too unpleasant, then please tell me "butt out" of your thread and I won't post here anymore. Either way I truly hope you all have a great cruise (and better weather than we had)!

Terpnut is absolutely correct. To me his post is extremely informative and not pompous at all.

breenw, I suggest you you buy soda before you board your flight in US. That is the only feasible way.

Unfortunately, nowadays you can't bring any liquids in carry-on, and the airlines are more strictly enforcing the 50 lb/bag weight limit. Unless you leave most of your clothes and shoes at home, it's gonna be real tough packing any meaningful amount of soda without exceeding the weight limit! :p

Last year we sailed on the Radiance out of Ballantyne Pier and remember our dining mates saying that while they were unpacking found out that they had forgotten some medications. Went to get off to take a taxi to a drugstore for the meds and was told that they had to wait for Canadian Customs to clear them to get off the ship and of course had to go thru US Customs to get back on. If Canadian Customs had left the Pier, I don't know if you can leave the ship.

Archived