sting ray excursion/ Belize vs Grand Cayman???

vmom

Is the shark/ray snorkel much different than the Sting ray city excursion at Grand Cayman? I know the one in Belize advertises nurse sharks also, but is the experience basically the same? Am interested in this excursion, but since we did the Sting Ray city/Snorkel in Grand Cayman I was wondering if these are basically the same?

I've done both and enjoyed GC more. It could have been the weather that day, but Belize water was choppy and seemed deeper. We saw 1 or 2 sharks and sringrays ea. In GC, the guide was very helpful, would catch the stingray, let us hold him and kiss him. Even though there were alot of boats, there was plenty of room and shallow water to enjoy. And there were LOTS of stingrays swimming by constantly. It was a private tour, one the popular ones, fairly inexpensive. I enjoyed it much more than the Belize one.

SenatusPopulusQueRomanus:SPQR Love it! I'm a big fan of the Romans too.

So you are saying that there were just a few Stingrays and not as many as Grand Cayman? I loved Grand Cayman but so far nothing is really interesting me in this port. No to Zip Lining and my Hubby doesn't want to ride in an inner tube for over and hour...it's a neck thing. Others in our group haven't experienced swimming with Stingrays and I thought it might be fun. Is it worth it or should I try something else. Also, was that tour ship sponsored? Thanks!

Belize's Stingray Tour was worth it despite the rough waters. We are going thru a private tour this time around in early December - Coral Breeze Tours. We also like Caye Caulker for hanging out on the beach at little palapa bars. From the shore you can easily get a local boatman to take you out to the reef for some snorkeling. Not sure of the prices.

Well done on recognizing my handle! You should hear the guesses others have attached to that moniker.

Belize e' bella ma io penso che Roma e' la citta' piu' bella del mondo.

Buon' viaggio!

Buon'viaggio

I took Latin in high school for 3 years but that was a LONG time ago. My Hubby and I went to Rome for the first time this February. Can't wait to go back! What a romantic city! We were only a few minutes walking distance from the Foro and the Colosseo. We ate Gelato every night after dinner. Memories! :) We were looking into using Coral Breeze for that particular excursion in Belize. What a gorgeous beach at Cay Caulker! Did you swim with the nurse sharks? They're the only thing that worries me. StingRays don't bother me at all. Perfectly safe with the sharks swimming around you, right? Also might rent Golf carts to toodle around the town. I was warned that their are State Dept warnings about Belize. Cay Caulker should be Ok right? Thanks sooo much for your help! Veni Vidi Vici!

The Coral Breeze snorkel tour to Shark/Ray Alley was perfect. The first stop is an area along the reef to snorkel at. We saw a huge Sea Ray here. The next stop was the Shark/Rays. It was awsome. The Rays were very similar to what it's like in Grand Cayman, but without the other hundred tourists. (we were the only one's there!) The Nurse Sharks are quite passive. In fact one came up to my DH like he wanted to be petted. My DH stroked his back for about 20 seconds and then it took off. Our tour guides also held one for the kids to touch. Over all, it was an awsome experience.

Caye Caulker couldn't be more laid back. We rented the golf carts and tooled around for an hour and it was a blast. Loved to be able to see the whole island. We felt very safe and were very sad to leave.

Upon our return, we had an hour and a half before the last tender. So, we just shopped in the tourist area. Did not go out of the fenced area this time, but we did two years ago and felt quite comfortable doing it. As with anyplace, I would not go down an alley or off the beaten path. We found the people to be very friendly. (other than the lady who was doing braiding. For some reason, after braiding hair for several hours that day, she didn't have change for a $20USD. Yea, right.)

I highly reccommend the Coral Breeze tour company for this tour. It was the best!

Enjoy!

Ever since the terrible news of Steve Irwin, my friends that my husband and I are cruising with are afraid of getting killed or injured by stingrays. I'm trying to plead with them that this was a freak accident and nothing of this nature has ever happened on an excursion. It happened with a large Ray not accustomed to humans AND in deep water. Any suggestions to help sell them on this excursion. I really want to do this particular one! :(

BirmanCrazy,

If they are that afraid, they can go as observers on the tour. Not nearly as fun, but they can at least see how beautiful these animals are.

Also, they probably have more of a chance getting killed driving to work everyday, than having a deadly encounter with a stingray.

Hope reason sets back in and they decide to do the tour.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
Ever since the terrible news of Steve Irwin, my friends that my husband and I are cruising with are afraid of getting killed or injured by stingrays. I'm trying to plead with them that this was a freak accident and nothing of this nature has ever happened on an excursion. It happened with a large Ray not accustomed to humans AND in deep water. Any suggestions to help sell them on this excursion. I really want to do this particular one! :(

You're not alone. I'm having the same problem with others I'm traveling with. It's the one activity I had my heart set on doing too!! I've got until February to convince them so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Huge difference between the situation Steve Irwin was in and standing on a sand bar in Grand Cayman. Can't speak about the Belize excursion since I havent' done it. This refers to interacting with rays in GC.

Steve was swimming about 3 feet above the ray with his camera man in front of the ray filming. It was a large ray that felt threatened. The ray knew something was swimming close and above him, but likely didn't know it wasn't a predator...so he struck in self defense.

The situation in Grand Cayman is totally different. The people are standing upright and the rays come swimming toward you. They come over to interact. The water is shallow, maybe 3 feet, waist to mid chest and is crystal clear. The rays are 'in charge" since they come to you and can swim away when ever they want to. Therefore they don't feel threatened.

You're not alone. I'm having the same problem with others I'm traveling with. It's the one activity I had my heart set on doing too!! I've got until February to convince them so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

I might be booking this excursion for just my hubby and I. The other guys can go or do something else. It was my favorite excursion on this cruise and I'm not backing down! There's aways snakes in the water on the cave tubing ride to be afraid of! The Fur de Lance is on of the world's most poisonous snakes. I'll take my chances with the stingrays and nurse sharks. ;)

There's several really good ones. Go to the Cayman Island boards for more specifics. I've read good reviews on Capt. Marvin, Capt. Bryan, and several others, Maybe Nativeway...cant remember if that one is on GC or Cozumel. We did the Buccaneer because it had 2 snorkel stops plus the stop at Stingray city for 3 stops total.

Last year we used Nativeway in GC. They did an excellent job! We went to the rum cake factory and turtle farm as well as swimming with the stingrays. We had a small group of about 15 or so people. Much better than the herd you have on the ship sponsored tours. I wholeheartedly recommend this company! We had such a good time. Have fun!

We have done both, twice on Grand Cayman as a scuba dive in 12 feet of water some years ago--much more interaction with the rays then and apparently now; as we were on the Miracle Sep 3-10. We did the shiptrip snorkel to SharkRay Alley this trip, plenty of rays--maybe 20 and a couple of nurse sharks. We were able to touch the rays being held by the snorkle boat staff, but not interact directly with the rays as we could at Stingray City in the past. We were in 3-4 feet of water at Shark Ray Alley--Belize.

A couple on our recent trip had snorkeled Stingray City and Belize the same week and said the trip at Grand Cayman was better, although they enjoyed both. We enjoyed both as well, but they are different.

Last year we used Nativeway in GC. They did an excellent job! We went to the rum cake factory and turtle farm as well as swimming with the stingrays. We had a small group of about 15 or so people. Much better than the herd you have on the ship sponsored tours. I wholeheartedly recommend this company! We had such a good time. Have fun!

Hi, I am just wondering if a person has to know how to swim to go on the stingray portion of this tour (I am 5'4").

Thanks again.

When we were in Grand Cayman, the water was about waist to mid chest high on me and I had no difficutly standing easily. It was a fairly calm day. On a windy day it might be different. Ask if the boat has snorkel vests available. That would make it easier if you felt uncomfortable being a non-swimmer.

When we were in Grand Cayman, the water was about waist to mid chest high on me and I had no difficutly standing easily. It was a fairly calm day. On a windy day it might be different. Ask if the boat has snorkel vests available. That would make it easier if you felt uncomfortable being a non-swimmer.

Thank you so much! :) Did you go with Nativeway?

Archived