Adriatic Sea/Dalmatian Coast Cruise

Bob and Peg

Seeking any info on cruises in this area for spring/summer 2007. I've read the threads from 2005 on the Dalmajica, the Monet and Le Levant. I've also looked at cruises on the Andrea and Arion, but haven't seen any info on this board about them.

Does anyone have any more help for me on these small ships?

Peggy

Friend and I took a two week cruise along Croatian coastline last fall on this lovely little ship. Capacity was about 65 but there were only 38 onboard. There were things we liked (size, staff, inclusive excursions, overnites in major ports of call, dockings smack dab in the midst of towns) and things we didn't (cruise director was a bit of a dud, beds were a bit hard, several large groups were allowed to have reserved dinner tables throughout so the social aspect suffered a bit). It took us to some glorious sights and I would highly recommend coastal cruise. We saved a lot of money by booking with travltips.com vs Elegant Cruises (owner of the Monet and Andrea). Note there is no 'e' in travltips. More questions, just ask!

We are seriously looking at the Monet for this cruise (Dalmajica is the other possibility at this time); what about the dress code for dinner. One person said that most of the men wore suits & ties & women wore dresses or pant suits. My husband hasn't worn a tie but about 3 times since he retired 3 years ago; and I haven't worn a skirt even that many times. He doesn't mind wearing a sports coat with a nice knit shirt, but no dress shirts and no ties. Will he be comfortable with that.

I'm sure that if we book this cruise I'll have more questions. Thanks for the lead to travltips.com; I'm going to call them tomorrow.

Peggy

As regards dress at night, people came in nice but not fancy grown-up clothing. Some men wore jackets and ties, many did not. I took some blaack slacks and a few nice tops. Because we were overnight so many places, we ate ashore a few times. More questions gladly answered.

I just received a brochure from Elegant Cruises and they must have some kind of association with travltips as on the back of the brochure there is a box saying if you wish to purchase insurance to contact travltips at (800) 872-8584. It also says if interested in the insurance one may "e-mail us at info@travltips.com for details".

We'd really prefer to go on the 14 night cruise, but are concerned about the weather in March or November. We've been on a cruise that was chilly & drizzly all the time & it wasn't as much fun as others. The July cruise looks like it would be quite hot - and, of course, very crowded in the towns.

Does anyone have any comments on the weather? I believe one of the threads on this board mentioned some bad weather during the November cruise.

What about comments on the 7-day, versus the 15-day cruise. It looks like they visit essentially the same places, but with more time spent in some of the towns.

Peggy

I know this cruise includes shore excursions; but if we want to go out on our own, does the ship provide sufficient information - maps, etc.

(On our cruise in the Baltic, the information provided by the ship (Oceania Insignia) was almost worthless, although we really liked the ship & the cruise.)

Thanks for any info. Peggy

1) Weather - we arrived in Venice on 11/1 and had a bit of grey/damp weather for a day or so but most days were sunny and warm. We were quite comfortable. No hordes, no heat, little rain.

2) Independent touring - well, most places you can 'opt out' and go it alone. Having already said the cruise director was a bit of a dud, I am not sure if you would get too much help from him. Bear in mind that tourism in Croatia is in its infancy and that is one of the charming things about the country. We really enjoyed just being able to knock around Split and Dubrovnik and didn't have any 'must-see' locations. I am sure it would be easy to hire cabs and go where you want but the compact nature of most ports of call made motorized travel somewhat pointless when there are so many nifty old walled cities to explore!

• 4 years later...

I know your posts were several years ago, but wondering about your opinions and your choice.

We are considering a Viking River Cruise from Budapest to Bucharest or an Azamara Dalmatian Coast Cruise.

Would greatly appreciate any comments you might have on these 2 trips.

Thank you so much.:confused:

Archived