the zoo, or not the zoo...that is the question!

dansu

We are looking for a no brainer shore excursion in Belize. We are on the Canival Legend, travelling to Belize, January 2007.

I really wanted to go cave tubing, but hubby thinks that the jungle humidity and the possiblity of moulds, or what ever within the cave system, might trigger my asthma.

Then I pondered the Private Beach of Bannister Island, but do I want to spend the early hours of the day trapped in the middle of nowhere, albiet trapped in paradise, relying on others for my escape should the weather turn bad.(I've read one too many posts about this on cruise critic)

We are not scuba enthusists...so that's out.

City tour...yawn.

Can't ripline...asthma.

Not really interested in seeing the locals sing and dance, and paint up their children for public display!

That leaves the zoo. We have been to our full share of zoo's with our kids... Miami, Toronto...even a local zoo in nearby Rockland, but nothing with rain forest animals. Is it worth the visit?

If I had my druthers, I'd do a quick city tour, as we can't travel all the way to Belize, and not venuture off the boat....and then do some shopping!...but I hear there really isn't alot of good shopping...being that Belize is a third world country, other than the tourism village. It's the only port of call where I am unsure of what to do.

Panama: Ferry through the canal;

Costa Rica: Bus, Train and Boat tour; and lastly

Belize?

We did the zoo tour 18 months ago. It was cool, lots of interesting animals, lots of things you don't see here. At the end of the day though, it's a zoo (kind of a "seen one, seen them all" kind of thing)

We enjoyed ourselves, ad fun, and felt like it was decent value forthe cost, but we would not return for a second trip.

We were at the zoo about 6-7 years ago. The zoo is very "jungle like", lots of trees and plants, and shade. It was, well...a zoo. We had our 3 year old granddaughter with us, she enjoyed it a lot. Lots of beautiful birds, some animals we hadn't seen before. Would we do it again, probably not, honestly, it isn't anything special.

Archived