What di you pack that you didn't need?

SHINEMAN

In the interest of lessening your load let alone making it a little bit easier for the crew who have to shove all those bags around, what have you found that you really didn't have to pack at all.

For openers I'll offer the shoe bag to hold a lot of the other stuff I don't need.

In the interest of lessening your load let alone making it a little bit easier for the crew who have to shove all those bags around, what have you found that you really didn't have to pack at all.

For openers I'll offer the shoe bag to hold a lot of the other stuff I don't need.

The last 3 cruises I repacked about 1/3 of my UNWORN clothes on the last night---so I could have packed only 2/3 of what I took and had no problems....:D

I used everything I packed. I need more! I need steamer trunks! I need at least 500 pounds allowed on an airplane!

Actually, I'm a very frugal packer. I take mini everything. I prepare a day by day travel itinerary with what I plan to do that day and I match clothes to the itinerary. Works every time as far as determining how much to pack.

This time I decided I was not packing shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap because I planned to use what the ship provides. Then the no liquids TSA stuff popped up and it confirmed my plans to leave all that stuff behind.

My other new plan is to buy what I need on the ship. They sell just about everything.

Evening wear. I got by with two basic black dresses. Could have left a lot of my other night time were at home.

I brought several things that were recommended on some threads here --

Duct tape and magnets -- didn't need them.

Power strip -- I would never have thought of this, but I don't know how I would have managed without it.

Hilighters -- I brought them and, like an idiot, forgot to use them. Missed the midnight chocolate buffet on the Norwegian Star.:mad:

On first cruise, packed way too many clothes & shoes! Decided to bring black skirt & pants with various tops to go with to wear for dinner. On each cruise thereafter, pack less & less. Husband & porters really appreciate this!

Your cabin offers most toiletries, comfortable walking shoes always comes in handy, there are laundry rooms aboard if don’t mind doing a little you can lessen some of what you take. They also offer laundry service, don’t bother with an iron if they find it they will take it there is one for guest use in the laundry. A hair drier is supplied at the vanity. I brought my portable DVD player but the TV did not have any external jacks for that. If you bring any beverages such as soda it can only be what they don’t provide. If they serve Coke products you can bring Pepsi on board. Other that that I think it’s just hit and miss according to what you your self use. I think after your 4th or 5th cruise you will have it down pat. We did anyway J

My wife only drinks caffeine free soda and as they did not offer it the bar tender on the Dawn told her at the next port she could buy it and bring it on board and she did. At the security point entering the ship they pulled us aside and inquired about the soda we gave the explanation of not having it on the ship and they let us take it on. From that point we have entered the ship with Pepsi products with no question. I would rather buy the drink card instead of lugging the cans but as I understand you can only get fountain drinks with it it’s not worth it.

(My friend also brought a few bottles of wine the ship could not provide and they stored it and served it at dinner that was Carnival though not sure about NCL)

. If you bring any beverages such as soda it can only be what they don’t provide. If they serve Coke products you can bring Pepsi on board. J

Absolutly not the case. You can bring any brand of softdrink onboard. Years ago the rull was you could only bring a wine they did not offer onboard now even that has changed with the corkage fee charged to every bottle.

My wife only drinks caffeine free soda and as they did not offer it the bar tender on the Dawn told her at the next port she could buy it and bring it on board and she did. At the security point entering the ship they pulled us aside and inquired about the soda we gave the explanation of not having it on the ship and they let us take it on. From that point we have entered the ship with Pepsi products with no question. I would rather buy the drink card instead of lugging the cans but as I understand you can only get fountain drinks with it it’s not worth it.

(My friend also brought a few bottles of wine the ship could not provide and they stored it and served it at dinner that was Carnival though not sure about NCL)

They pulled you aside to make sure your soda was soda :D

I start my packing with a plan but then I loose control and throw in everything and the kitchen sink. :o Someone once suggested that if I attached the sink to the outside of my luggage I would then have a place to pack even more stuff! :D

Rule of thumb - pack amount of clothes equal to half of your trip ie a 10 day cruise pack five days worth of clothes. One set of day wear and one set for evening per day. That does not include formal wear, which I (male) rent from the ship - no packing, lugging & dewrinkling that way. This hard learned lesson leaves sufficient room for trade goods, crap to dust, bright shiny beads and worthless trinkets acquired enroute. (I am the acquirer of said junque not my wife.)

Way too many clothes and shoes. So much so, we were really sick of it and especially the hauling and lugging. This last time, each of us packed in a carryon suitcase for 12 days and we still had a t-shirt or two that was not worn.

Someone said it here and we found it to be true. Pack your clothes, then take half out and that should be about right.

Plus, we have never used a power strip or over the door shoe organizer which is usually recommended here.

It was insanity. One case was full of paperwork, cameras, magazines, and all sorts of stuff to keep us busy in airports and the flight, which I used only half of what was in that bag! I listened to everyone and ended up packing everything. I packed several sweaters because I am always cold and someone told me its freezing in the dining rooms. I dont think I used one. I bought a sweatshirt on board as a suvineer and used it one night, late. I brought a different bathing suit for each day, which that was fine, but then I brought clothes to change into after the day on the island which were ultra casual, then I also brought clothes for the dining room plus formals. I packed every color shoe from my home collection, which I didnt ware but a couple. When we left at the end of the week, I had 2 full, huge suitcases full of clothes I never touched, not to mention the suitcase of shoes! Phew. Now that I have been on a cruise, know what to expect and how I like to spend my days, I will cut my bags down to 2 per person for a 9 day cruise.

Also, we like to each buy a shirt from every island, so next time I dont need to bring quite as many shirts for my husband.

Samtig - I love the idea of a pair of black pants and skirt with different tops for dinner. What a great idea!

When we cruised in May we FORGOT the suitcase that contained all of our "resort casual" wear for dinner :eek: (It remained at home all nicely packed and laying on the bed in our guest bedroom!!)

We had flown into LAX the night before the cruise..so the next morning before embarkation we cabbed it to the nearest mall and did an hour of emergency shopping. My husband bought 2 pair of dockers...and 3 aloha shirts and I bought a long black linen skirt and and several tops. This worked out just fine for our 8-night cruise. (I had a pair of nicer capris in our other bag that contained our daytime stuff that I could wear with the new tops.)

Lesson learned.....nobody cares what you wear...as long as it is neat and clean. These ships are so big, you rarely see the same folks twice. And, on our upcoming cruise...I can now relax and do minimal packing for the dinner clothes....that long black skirt and the nice capris...and several nice tops...and I am good to go!! I LOVE Freestyle cruising!

That's funny, we had 6 suitcases for 2 people on our 1st cruise too! My husband said I had any situation covered that might arise except for maybe brain surgery! One suitcase was also full of shoes - what is it with shoes, anyway. We started buying a shirt on each island too so bring less. Funny what you learn as cruises go on...

It was insanity. One case was full of paperwork, cameras, magazines, and all sorts of stuff to keep us busy in airports and the flight, which I used only half of what was in that bag! I listened to everyone and ended up packing everything. I packed several sweaters because I am always cold and someone told me its freezing in the dining rooms. I dont think I used one. I bought a sweatshirt on board as a suvineer and used it one night, late. I brought a different bathing suit for each day, which that was fine, but then I brought clothes to change into after the day on the island which were ultra casual, then I also brought clothes for the dining room plus formals. I packed every color shoe from my home collection, which I didnt ware but a couple. When we left at the end of the week, I had 2 full, huge suitcases full of clothes I never touched, not to mention the suitcase of shoes! Phew. Now that I have been on a cruise, know what to expect and how I like to spend my days, I will cut my bags down to 2 per person for a 9 day cruise.

Also, we like to each buy a shirt from every island, so next time I dont need to bring quite as many shirts for my husband.

Samtig - I love the idea of a pair of black pants and skirt with different tops for dinner. What a great idea!

This is a good one. I packed 12 pairs of shoes and I only wore 2!! You should have seen the looks my husband was giving me every day when I would open the closet.. :eek: :D

I also packed WAY to much clothing, jewerly, and make-up. I always say next time I am not going to do this. (Yea right)

I think it is just a woman thing.. LOL (well at least some woman) :rolleyes:

Don't know how many times have brought Moby Dick on a cruise along with two or three other books. Moby Dick remains unread altho a little the worse for wear from all the travelling. Usually finish a short mystery a la Agatha Christie if lucky.

Archived