New 50 dollar per person tax on Alaska cruise

betcat

Its such a great Idea I better make a note to my state of Florida and tell them to jump on the band wagon and start with a 50.00 dollar tax to all that cruise in and out of the state of Florida. Then they could cut my tax and all of the cruisers could help pay for my states funding. I guess I just have to look at it from your view. Forgot we could add a 10.00 dollar a tax to all cab,shuttle, and limo rides to and from the port. And why stop there. A tax to all who fly into and out of Florida airports. They could cut any tax I have to pay down here. THIS IS THE GREATEST!!!!!!!!!!!

Its such a great Idea I better make a note to my state of Florida and tell them to jump on the band wagon and start with a 50.00 dollar tax to all that cruise in and out of the state of Florida. Then they could cut my tax and all of the cruisers could help pay for my states funding. I guess I just have to look at it from your view

Are they really cutting taxes to the taxpayers of Alaska because of this? That would be amazing!!!!!

I wouldn't object to an extra $50 out of Florida... like I said, I expect the prices to go up some day soon, it's been too low for too long, something is going to give!! If you think you can convince the state of Florida to raise taxes to cruisers while cutting yours, go for it!! You might want to have a compelling reason other than... But Alaska's doing it :p

Its such a great Idea I better make a note to my state of Florida and tell them to jump on the band wagon and start with a 50.00 dollar tax to all that cruise in and out of the state of Florida. Then they could cut my tax and all of the cruisers could help pay for my states funding. I guess I just have to look at it from your view. Forgot we could add a 10.00 dollar a tax to all cab,shuttle, and limo rides to and from the port. And why stop there. A tax to all who fly into and out of Florida airports. They could cut any tax I have to pay down here. THIS IS THE GREATEST!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree......and you'll be flying over my state in our airspace while you travel to your cruise, so we should be able to add on $25.00 per person. I certainly want some tax relief. Every patriotic person should have no problem with that.

I agree......and you'll be flying over my state in our airspace while you travel to your cruise, so we should be able to add on $25.00 per person. I certainly want some tax relief. Every patriotic person should have no problem with that.

While I haven't read anything about this yet, some of the reasoning behind this "might" have to do with environmental issues.

While I haven't read anything about this yet, some of the reasoning behind this "might" have to do with environmental issues.

there is. an additional $4 per head is charged for an 'environmental ranger'.

an an alaskan, you should point out that alaska has no state income tax. in fact each resident receives almost a $1000 a year refund from the oil fund.

these new taxes and fees are just a money-grab. it also is not law yet, as the alaska congress has not voted on it yet. hopefully, they will have some common sense. the public vote was only passed with a 52% majority. not exactly an overwhelming mandate.

there is. an additional $4 per head is charged for an 'environmental ranger'.

an an alaskan, you should point out that alaska has no state income tax. in fact each resident receives almost a $1000 a year refund from the oil fund.

these new taxes and fees are just a money-grab. it also is not law yet, as the alaska congress has not voted on it yet. hopefully, they will have some common sense. the public vote was only passed with a 52% majority. not exactly an overwhelming mandate.

But the OP makes in her scenario about FL, says "Then they could cut my tax and all of the cruisers could help pay for my states funding", so that to me sounds like what he/she read about Alaska was that they would be cutting their tax??? I know, no clarification on that... and considering everyone says they don't even pay tax, he/she must have just thrown that in there for effect :rolleyes: If the residents don't pay taxes, and each get $1000 refund... I certainly can see why a $50 tax is in order.

There are ports out there that charge HIGH port fees.... but I don't see people boycotting. I equate it to a higher port fee, whatever they call it. Then again, I won't cruise Alaska until I'm old, and who knows what the fee will be by then :D But if I want to cruise there, I don't mind paying it...

But the OP makes in her scenario about FL, says "Then they could cut my tax and all of the cruisers could help pay for my states funding", so that to me sounds like what he/she read about Alaska was that they would be cutting their tax??? I know, no clarification on that... and considering everyone says they don't even pay tax, he/she must have just thrown that in there for effect :rolleyes: If the residents don't pay taxes, and each get $1000 refund... I certainly can see why a $50 tax is in order.

There are ports out there that charge HIGH port fees.... but I don't see people boycotting. I equate it to a higher port fee, whatever they call it. Then again, I won't cruise Alaska until I'm old, and who knows what the fee will be by then :D But if I want to cruise there, I don't mind paying it...

we aren't talking about florida, which has no state income tax either.

i fail to see the logic in your statement, in fact its backwards. since alaska has enough money to have no state income tax AND dole out almost 1000 to each resident, they must not be hurting for money.

Maybe the state needs the $$$.:D

Because of the state revenue from petroleum, Alaska does not have a personal income tax. There is also no sales tax on a statewide basis, although counties may charge a sales tax. There are property taxes in some areas, but not all, and it is not a state tax. Alaska does not charge an intangible personal property tax. Overall, property taxes are very low. Alaska can do this because of the natural resources it has. Additionally, the low taxes are an incentive for people to move to the state.

I agree with almost everything you said...except for the property tax. Here in Anchorage, I pay $5000 per year on my house.

It is true about the sales tax. Most communities have either no sales tax, or none like here in Anchorage. Also, for visitors who drive while here, we have a very low gasoline tax.

BTW, I voted no on the cruise ship tax. Don't think it was right. Sponsored by enviromentalists and folks outside Alaska.

As a native of Alaska please let me say...don't let the door hit you in the fanny on the way out.

As Dan has already stated, Alaska doesn't need your money and as Stanimal has stated if it's going to break the bank you should consider other vacation options.:rolleyes:

I want to assure posters that most of the Alaskans I live and work with, do not agree with the sentiments in the above post. Tourism is a huge industry here. We want visitors. This ill-advised tax may drive people away, but this attitude displayed in the post above should not.

This is a beautiful place. We should be welcoming visitors, not alienating

them.

I say forget about taxes and port charges, and just look at the total price of the cruise and decide if that is worth it.

Absolutely agree. The bottom line... ***TOTAL COST***... no matter how the pie is sliced, if it even is, or perhaps simply ends up lining the pocket of some fat-cat.

The $50pp isn't a make or break for most folks, I'd wager. Not as much as the unknown amount which the cruiselines will want to add on in order make up for the gambling tax. Right or wrong, cruiselines will pass this charge on to passengers.

Whether you choose to pay is your own decision.

Lot'sa places I'd LOVE to visit. Can't afford 'em - won't go. No point complaining where I can't go, what I can't have, what I can't do. We enjoy what we are lucky enough to afford. That's more than some, less than others.

The goverment did it so they don't have to tax the people that live there. .

Actually the govt DIDN'T do it. It was an initiative that enough people signed petitions to have the measure placed on the ballot and then the majority of the voters that voted said "YES".

BTW-In my opinion, the person that said they look at the total cost of the cruise is stating something I also believe in. Alaska cruises cost more than any other I've taken and if this added expense stands, it'll probably make me decide I'd rather do more Caribbean/Hawaii/Mexico cruises. I leave in a week, with four of us. If this tax were now in effect that's $200, on our last Alaska cruise, there were 6 of us (that wouldve been $300 extra), the Alaska cruise prior to that-another $200 would've applied. That's money that would be out of my pocket on future cruises that I'd rather spend some other way. But I would say that everyone with any desire to do so should cruise Alaska at least once, even if this charge stays in effect.

jmo

-Monte

..... it also is not law yet, as the alaska congress has not voted on it yet. hopefully, they will have some common sense. the public vote was only passed with a 52% majority. not exactly an overwhelming mandate.
Do they REALLY have a say in the matter since it was voted on??

$50 pp seems excessive..I wish I made enough money to where that wouldn't influence my decision.

It kind of sours my opnion of Alaska to tell you the truth.

I would hope that the state lawmakers would have the wisdom to see how this can hurt in the long run..whether it be from Cruiselines moving ships to other iteneraries or negative publicity...but using lawmaker and wisdom in the same sentence is probably asking WAY too much

• 2 weeks later...

I've lived in Juneau for 15 years and am a downtown small business owner. During that time I have watched the number of passengers and the size of the ships explode. In general, most local residents in Juneau and SE Alaska would like nothing more than a reduction in the number of ships and passengers in our town. So, if $50 per cruiser achieves that end, so be it. You need to understand that the quality of the experience is diminished significantly for you the passengers (not to mention those of us that choose to live here) when there are ten thousand plus passengers and another five thousand plus crew dumped in port on a single day. You also need to understand just how little of the money you spend in port actually stays here in the Alaskan economy. Most of the "made in china" trinket shops and the twenty plus jewelry stores that we have in downtown Juneau are either owned by the cruiselines or other non-alaskan businesses. Additionally, many of the employees in these establishments are imported from outside as well. So as soon as the cruise season ends they board up the shops for the winter and the employees and the profits leave for the lower 48. This isn't to say cruising doesn't benefit the local economy, it does, but it does not contribute many of the higher paying jobs and year round employment that our local private businesses and government employment opportunities do. The biggest and only beneficiary from the bloated numbers of tourists is the cruiselines themselves and their corporate owned shoreside businesses. I voted for the tax, not because of the revenue that will be generated and then wasted by our local and state politicos (thats the same everywhere) but because I want a reduction in the number of cruise ships and tourists because it will be beneficial to locals, tourists and the whole Alaskan experience and environment.

Also as a side note regarding educating folks and dispelling some of the misconceptions about our state's oil revenues. Unlike most states, Our state constitution is written in such a way that we, the people of Alaska, own all of our natural resources. Oil, Timber, Gold etc. ect. And our constitution mandates that all of our resources must be managed to the maximum benefit of the people. In the case of oil, which is our largest source of revenue, we have royalties and taxes which are assesed on a per barrel basis. In essence we the people of Alaska sell our oil to BP, Conoco Philips etc. who are then responsible for extracting it. Of those revenues, twenty five percent is allocated to the Alaska Permanent Fund, also a part of our constitution created by amendment in 1976. This fund was created in order to protect a portion of the oil revenue from the insatiable appetite of government to spend every last penny on their precious programs and provide for the day when the oil and its revenue stops flowing. The money that is allocated to the Permananet fund is invested just like any other mutual fund in Stocks, Bonds, Realestate etc. Every year all eligible Alaskan residents receive a dividend check based on a percentage of the 5-year moving average of the net revenue generated by the fund's investment portfolio. Many people have the misconception that this is a governement hand out. Nothing could be further from the truth. This is every current and future Alaska resident's savings account created from the revenue generated by the sale of OUR natural resources. We have some very insightful and far thinking founders of our state to thank for the Permanent Fund. If you would like to learn more about the Permanant fund, go to http://www.apfc.org/

The owner of the B and B where we stayed in Seward told us that Carnival Cruiselines alone cleared 2.3 BILLION DOLLARS in 2005 and if THE CRUISELINE PAID THE $50 PER PASSENGER (NOT assessing passengers the fee) they would still clear 2.29 BILLION.

She discussed with me all the damage to resources by/from cruise ships as well................things like CHEMICALS from the Photo Developing, CHEMICALS from the Dry Cleaning being dumped into the sea...........and on and on.

She further said to me, "I bet if you knew all the damage those cruise ships do to the sea and land, you'd not cruise any more........they are big cities, when you think about it."

We had cruised up and were doing a couple of weeks on land with a rented car...........and go to Alaska often.

Archived