anything to do in port

We are cruising Nov 07 on the Voyager of the Sea. Are schedule is as follows

Sunday-Villefranche

Monday-Livorno

Tuesday-Civitavecchia

WednesdayNaples

Thursday-Palermo Sicily

We know what we are doing in Florence and Rome. Naples debating on 1/2 day Pompeii...is there anything near the port?

Villefranche on a Sunday???

Palermo?

Any suggestions helpful, our group consists of 6 adults

AIRC in Naples there was a major shopping center near the port, as well as a castle/museum.

I don't necessarily recommend it, but my DW and two friends walked off the ship and negotiated with a taxi driver. He showed them the printed tariff and it was 80 Euros for a two hour tour. They enjoyed it quite a bit. He did take them to a cameo shop where he probably got a commission, but they were happy with that.

In May 2005 my wife & I were in Naples for half-a-day (afternoon) on MSC Sinfonia. We decided to walk up to San Martino, a museum/old monastery/garden, at the top of the town. Very beautiful, and very quiet!

There are a few photos here:

http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=1919

And I mention the trip to San Martino in my review of that cruise, here:

http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/yourfav/yfc_md_sinfonia.asp

If this is your first time to Naples, I would HIGHLY recommend a private tour and seeing Pompeii and some of the Amalfi Coast. It really is one of the best stops on this cruise if you make some arrangements. It is gorgeous and seeing Pompeii was incredible.

In Palermo, we just walked around everywhere... we got a tourist map from an information booth as we walked out of the port and we just did our own thing. It wasn't our favorite stop but we did have the most fun shopping there.

We are doing this exact cruise on Sept. 22nd... I will have been to most of these places twice, but as I read your post, I realize that we too will be in Villefranche on a Sunday... I have read that there isn't much open on Sunday there. We will probably end up taking some type of tour to St. Paul de Vence then... I hear that is open on Sunday and a VERY nice place.

Personally and financially speaking... I would NEVER take another ship tour. I would book only private tours for Florence, Rome and Naples. If you find one other person to join you, it is as much as the ships top Rome/Florence/Naples tour and it is soooo much more enjoyable. Try these sites if you are interested... www.driverinrome.com and www.driverinitaly.com there are many others that come highly recommended on these boards. My husband and I are going on our Med. cruise in 12 days... and we have a private tour through "driverinrome" and there are only the 4 of us for the day and it is costing each couple $275. The ship tour is charging $189 each for this tour in Rome and you are on a bus with 50 other people. This is what we did the first time and we will never do it again. You can even make this cheaper and get 2 other couples to join you.

Hope this helps.

We are cruising Nov 07 on the Voyager of the Sea. Are schedule is as follows

Sunday-Villefranche

Monday-Livorno

Tuesday-Civitavecchia

WednesdayNaples

Thursday-Palermo Sicily

We know what we are doing in Florence and Rome. Naples debating on 1/2 day Pompeii...is there anything near the port?

Villefranche on a Sunday???

Palermo?

Any suggestions helpful, our group consists of 6 adults

In Naples you can walk to the hydrofoils from the port and go to Capri or Sorrento .

Archived