Extra Tipping

themerchantgirl

I have read where some of you tip to the room steward early on in the cruise. Can you give me some tips on about how much you tip? I understand this is in addition to the traditional tipping that is included in the sail and sign card and have no problem with that. These folks definitely deserve the money. They work hard.

I give both the Room Steward and his/her Assistant (if they have one) $5 at the beginning, $5 in the middle of the week, and another extra $5 at the end of the week if everything is as great as it usually is. I also prepay my standard tips to the staff.

I usually give my room steward a $10 bill on the first day as I am requesting daily ice in the cooler, another pillow for hubby and an extra blanket for myself. Then another $10 or $20 at the end of the week depending on how outstanding the service is.

We've always had superb, attentive, cabin stewards and I don't think it's because we tip extra. I just believe that an extra gratuity is the best way to say thank you for service that exceeds my expectations.;)

The last cruise we took our three kids (then 11/10/6) and my niece (13).

The youngest stayed in our cabin, the three eldest shared their own cabin next door.

When I saw our steward I told him that it was three girls in that cabin, handed him $20, told him it was for the extra trouble of three kids in a cabin.

All went very smoothly

Merchant, if you've already read other threads about whether to tip up front or not, then you may already know my thoughts.:D Unless you have a specific request when you first board, there's no need to bribe your steward. He will be just as attentive to you as the person who doesn't feel the need to tip up front.

Everyone has their own reasons and ways of doing things. I wait until the last morning to give him/her a little extra. Whatever works for you will be fine.:)

I carried a small collapsible cooler with me and our first evening I left it on the bed with a note for the steward and a couple of dollars asking that he put some ice in it for me. He filled it , removed the note but left the $. He did the same for another small request that I made. I left him $25 extra dollars the last day. We rarely saw him but he did a wonderful job. I also did my best to keep all of our "stuff" picked up and put up as much as possible to make is job easier to do. :)

I take a soft side cooler full of sodas and I ask my steward to keep it full of ice. I usually tuck a dollar or two a day into the towel animal for my steward to find each day. I also leave the tips on my sign and sail, but think that the extra dollar or two a day is just a nice thank you for those who work so hard for so little. Every day I remember how blessed I am to have been born female in the USA and have a good paying job with the USAF that allows me to not only take care of my family but also cruise once or twice a year.

PS. I did a humanitarian health care trip to Bulgaria this year and while the people we served were not as desparate as some of those we have encountered in Middle/South America, it sure put things back into prospective for me again. All of my translaters were educators with advanced degrees and their average monthly salary was $100-140 USD! I made fast friends and recently sent a box of used paperbacks to one who wanted English books to read...you'd have thought I sent her $1,000,000 from her response. We take so much for granted here in the USA. Bottom line...leave the pre-set amount of tips on your sign and sail. If you can afford it or if you have an exceptional steward (or waiter, bartender, etc.), find a way to slip a few extra $$ to them...it goes a long way in most of their lives.

I also did my best to keep all of our "stuff" picked up and put up as much as possible to make is job easier to do. :)

Donna, you sound like me! I keep my things neat and organized in the cabin, just as in a hotel room. No need to make things harder for them. I even wash out my ashtray and spray the room with a neutralizer before leaving each morning, so the steward won't be stifled when he enters.:D

Donna, you sound like me! I keep my things neat and organized in the cabin, just as in a hotel room. No need to make things harder for them. I even wash out my ashtray and spray the room with a neutralizer before leaving each morning, so the steward won't be stifled when he enters.:D

There are three of us in the room and I couldn't stand to leave it with clothes and things lying around. In that small space just a little clutter seems so messy. I also figure they are there to clean the room and not to pick up after me. ;)

I also do the same thing in the hotel room. We went to DisneyWorld in June and I picked up every day before leaving. We got a towel creation each day from our mousekeeper when others say they didn't. I guess she spent less time cleaning and had more time to leave something special. :)

As some of the other posters mentioned.......no need to tip ahead of time unless you have a special request. Also you are not obligated to tip more than the normal tip on your S&S.

I read that alot of posters are sooo worried about tipping. Having it on you S&S should take the worry out of it. You are not going to offend them if you don't tip above and beyond. Relax and have a wonderful time.

At the risk of sounding cheap, I must express concern that "extra" tips are now almost expected. 3 or 4 years ago, when all of the lines started the move of posting tips to your account, I was very much in favor, but I also remember reading folks on these boards expressing this very reservation.

I thinks its fairly obvious that service as a whole has declined on all of the mainstream lines now that this move is complete - it also stands to reason that the average tip pool has gone up as a result.

I don't like feeling cheap if I don't tip above and beyond and it almost seems that the obligation (and inconvience) of handing cash out and the end of the cruise is back - only now I'm out $100/pp on the front side.

We start with the basic tips on our S&S card and work from there. A special request, and I mean something out of their normal routine, will get a small tip of 2 to 5 dollars. We are low maintenance and rarely have special requests. At the end of the cruise, if the service has been mediocre at best, then we add nothing. Never less than the minimum as we have yet to have bad service. If it has in any way exceeded our expectations, then we may add $10, $20 or more depending on the situation. We never tip up front just to be tipping. They either earn the extra or they don't. I also keep the cabin picked up so I know where everything is and there is less work for the steward.

We also tip extra to the waitstaff and favorite bar servers.

If tipping in advance makes you feel better then do it. I usually tip extra, but only on the last day. Just be aware that some cultures consider it an insult to be tipped (bribed) in advance and do not necessarily think better of the person that does so. But to each their own.;)

We tipped whenever we asked for something special about 2-3 dollars, and then we tipped $5.00 three times when our room was done special for our Anniversary, or we just loved the towel animal. Then we gave him $20.00 at the end of the cruise. We felt that Jose and Putra really made our cruise and we were happy to give alittle extra.

While on the Holiday, just got home today, we left our tips on our S & S card. Then at the end we also tipped extra to those we thought earned it through out our cruise. On the last night I gave 5 different people a $20 tip and 2 others a $10 tip.

Plus, my bf actually tipped the pizza guy because everytime he came to the counter he had his pizza ready, without asking. My bf could tell that this person very rarely gets a tip by his reaction. However, he/we seen how hard he worked and he made sure to take care of us when we needed his service. He went ABOVE and BEYOND his call of duty.

We didn't "bribe" our room steward and he kept our ice chest full.

We are not normal, I guess. We always give the steward a $40 tip when we meet him/her. We then treat them like a friend. They have always done an awesome job of looking after us. At the end of the cruise we give them another $40. $80 on top of the money we paid for the cruise is the best insurance policy for a great cruise.

Tony

I have read where some of you tip to the room steward early on in the cruise. Can you give me some tips on about how much you tip? I understand this is in addition to the traditional tipping that is included in the sail and sign card and have no problem with that. These folks definitely deserve the money. They work hard.

After reading alot of these posts I can understand that you are stressed out about extra tips. Don't let them bother you. Tip for a Pizza, give me a break. Some give their room stewards $80.00 above and beyond. for what:confused: :confused: Just go have a good time. Tip your normal tip., and have fun!!!

I handed my cabin steward $20.00 every morning. Best service I have ever received.

We are not normal, I guess. We always give the steward a $40 tip when we meet him/her. We then treat them like a friend. They have always done an awesome job of looking after us. At the end of the cruise we give them another $40. $80 on top of the money we paid for the cruise is the best insurance policy for a great cruise.

Tony

I like your style!

We are not normal, I guess. We always give the steward a $40 tip when we meet him/her. ....... At the end of the cruise we give them another $40. $80 on top of the money we paid for the cruise is the best insurance policy for a great cruise.

Tony

OK, this confuses me. You gave your steward $80 EXTRA (over the amount of automatic tips) or $80 total for the entire cruise?

Archived