Galapogos recommendation

Lair Bear

Two of us (very active but in our sixties) want to go to the Galapogos Islands for eight days next year and we are curious what you recommend for a ship.

We see lots of ads for small to medium size boats/ships. Although we like small cruise ships (eg Windstar), we are concerned about boats that only hold 12 to 30 people. We love to snorkel and experience the wild-life, but a bit of being spoiled is part of cruising also, right?

What is the best time of year in your opinion?

Two of us (very active but in our sixties) want to go to the Galapogos Islands for eight days next year and we are curious what you recommend for a ship.

We see lots of ads for small to medium size boats/ships. Although we like small cruise ships (eg Windstar), we are concerned about boats that only hold 12 to 30 people. We love to snorkel and experience the wild-life, but a bit of being spoiled is part of cruising also, right?

What is the best time of year in your opinion?

We went to the Galapagos this year in early February after our big cruise to Antarctica and post cruise visit to Machu Picchu. We had no choice when went we went, as it was an extra we added on to our big cruise in January.

We were very fortunate as we had no bad weather at all. It was very warm but bearable. We are also both in our sixties and very active. You need to be as you are in and out of zodiacs each day - twice a day in fact.

We were on the Galapagos Explorer II which is one of the original Renaissance ships and now owned by an Ecuadorian line. It holds about 80 odd passengers and the cabins are very roomy and quite spacious. Our ship was considered one of the most luxurious.

We were divided into groups of between 12 and 15 with our own naturalist and each morning and afternoon we would go to an island and see the various animals and birds pertaining to that particular island. Often after we had finished our walk we could go to a beach and either swim or snorkel.

It is a fascinating experience and one I wouldn't have missed but it is hard work and not really a cruise experience. The ship doesn't travel far as the islands are all close together. It is really a place to sleep and be transported to the next place of exploration.

The passengers on board were a mixture of English, Canadian, U.S. and a few Spanish/Chilean passengers. We were the only couple on board from the antipodes.

If you went later in the year, the weather would be cooler but I also believe that the water wouldn't be as warm. To us, the water was a perfect temperature in February. Hope this helps with your decisions.

Jennie

That is a great help. I hadn't thought about February but will look into that now. I understand that although the water and air temperatures are lower in May or so, that there is more abundant wildlife in the water.

However, I agree with the fact that when you spend a lot of time on and in the water that it is nice to have it comfortable and not need a wetsuit.

Thanks again for your input.

If it's important to you, note that the Waved Albatross, a spectacular bird and one of the species endemic to the Galapagos, won't have returned to the islands to nest in February. We particularly wanted to see them, and so chose to go in late March - the males were just starting to return to Espanola island to tidy up the old nest sites prior to the arrival of their 'wives' (they mate for life).

I would also agree with Aussie Gal's comment about the trip as a whole - it's not like a 'normal' cruise, it is fairly hard work, but definitely a once in a lifetime experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you checked out the CELEBRITY XPEDITION 10 day package from Quito, Ecuador that includes 7 days on their 96-98 passenger ship, all-inclusive of tips, drinks, transfers, and multiple daily excursions ?

If you go to the Celebrity Boards and search the Threads or put " Galapagos " in the search box, it is unlikely you will find anyone that has not deemed this a trip of a lifetime !

We're scheduled for the Celebrity Xpedition on Dec.31st. I chose it for the Celebrity style but with all the adventure and excursions that the smaller operations offer. Everyone going into the Galapagos is accompanied by naturalists, as it is a national park of Ecuador, and you can't go alone. You basically will see the same things, but I think the food and accommodations will be more luxurious on Celebrity. From reading the boards, people who have gone with Celebrity have LOVED it!! I can't wait to go!!

Suzie

We're going on the Lindblad Polaris this December 8. I chose the Polaris because I was told by travel agents, and a friend who went on this ship, that it was "the best" in the Galapagos. It is not the most luxurious ship, holds about 80, but is said to have the best naturalists -- which I'm told is key to enjoying the Galapagos. Supposedly Lindblad treats their crew very well, the best in the area, and the enthusiasm aboard is superior to all other ships. Lindblad is also very environmentally conscious, and the Galapagos National Park service has a good relationship with the line, and therefore we'll be more likely to go to the islands at the time when the activity is best. Only a limited number of ships are allowed to visit any one spot, at any one time, and these decisions are at the discretion of the park service. I was told the ideal times to go for best animal activity and mix of tourists (ie, not too crowded, not oriented to kids, etc...) were April/May and Oct/Nov. Our December date is a bit late for the final window, but we are hoping that the sea lion pups born just a month or so before will still be cute, and still want to swim with us : ) I think the weather will be best in December as it is a transition time between the two types of weather (either you get 'rainy season' and warm water, or 'dry season' and cooler water.) I do think it might have been nice to go when the birds do their mating dances, and I don't believe we're hitting the window for that, but spring doesn't work as well for us due to the ages of our children. If we had the time, and inclination to spend that much more money, I would have liked to do Machu Picchu as an adjunct to the trip. But, we will see how my husband handles the altitude in Quito (we extended a few days on our own at this capital city) first. He has had difficult times in high altitudes in the past.

We're going on the Lindblad Polaris this December 8. I chose the Polaris because I was told by travel agents, and a friend who went on this ship, that it was "the best" in the Galapagos. It is not the most luxurious ship, holds about 80, but is said to have the best naturalists -- which I'm told is key to enjoying the Galapagos. Supposedly Lindblad treats their crew very well, the best in the area, and the enthusiasm aboard is superior to all other ships. Lindblad is also very environmentally conscious, and the Galapagos National Park service has a good relationship with the line, and therefore we'll be more likely to go to the islands at the time when the activity is best. Only a limited number of ships are allowed to visit any one spot, at any one time, and these decisions are at the discretion of the park service. I was told the ideal times to go for best animal activity and mix of tourists (ie, not too crowded, not oriented to kids, etc...) were April/May and Oct/Nov. Our December date is a bit late for the final window, but we are hoping that the sea lion pups born just a month or so before will still be cute, and still want to swim with us : ) I think the weather will be best in December as it is a transition time between the two types of weather (either you get 'rainy season' and warm water, or 'dry season' and cooler water.) I do think it might have been nice to go when the birds do their mating dances, and I don't believe we're hitting the window for that, but spring doesn't work as well for us due to the ages of our children. If we had the time, and inclination to spend that much more money, I would have liked to do Machu Picchu as an adjunct to the trip. But, we will see how my husband handles the altitude in Quito (we extended a few days on our own at this capital city) first. He has had difficult times in high altitudes in the past.

You can't help but have a great time with either line. The naturalists work for the Parks system and are all great.On Celebrity they told us that that was the most prized since the food and accommodations were the best for them.All the stops are basically the same although they change from time to time.We had 74 passengers and 66 crew . The service was incredible.

A passenger with whom I cruised did both lines and I remember her saying on a scale of one to ten, Lindblad was an 8,Celebrity a 10 and all the others were 6 and below, She and her husband had been there ,I believe ,over ten times.

Hi Seas the Day. I will post my review in January, after I return from the Celebrity Xpedition (Dec.31st cruise). That will give people a good overview of the 2 different experiences! We're both going in the same month, just at different times of the month! Will be interesting to compare which islands we each go to, what wildlife we see, etc. Either way I think we are both in for a trip of a lifetime!!!

Suzie

Hi Seas the Day. I will post my review in January, after I return from the Celebrity Xpedition (Dec.31st cruise). That will give people a good overview of the 2 different experiences! We're both going in the same month, just at different times of the month! Will be interesting to compare which islands we each go to, what wildlife we see, etc. Either way I think we are both in for a trip of a lifetime!!!

Suzie

talk to you in January : )

• 2 weeks later...
We went to the Galapagos this year in early February after our big cruise to Antarctica and post cruise visit to Machu Picchu. We had no choice when went we went, as it was an extra we added on to our big cruise in January.

We were very fortunate as we had no bad weather at all. It was very warm but bearable. We are also both in our sixties and very active. You need to be as you are in and out of zodiacs each day - twice a day in fact.

We were on the Galapagos Explorer II which is one of the original Renaissance ships and now owned by an Ecuadorian line. It holds about 80 odd passengers and the cabins are very roomy and quite spacious. Our ship was considered one of the most luxurious.

We were divided into groups of between 12 and 15 with our own naturalist and each morning and afternoon we would go to an island and see the various animals and birds pertaining to that particular island. Often after we had finished our walk we could go to a beach and either swim or snorkel.

It is a fascinating experience and one I wouldn't have missed but it is hard work and not really a cruise experience. The ship doesn't travel far as the islands are all close together. It is really a place to sleep and be transported to the next place of exploration.

The passengers on board were a mixture of English, Canadian, U.S. and a few Spanish/Chilean passengers. We were the only couple on board from the antipodes.

If you went later in the year, the weather would be cooler but I also believe that the water wouldn't be as warm. To us, the water was a perfect temperature in February. Hope this helps with your decisions.

Jennie

JENNY, I went to Galapagos in November 2005 on the same ship the Explorer II. In September 2005 I also went to Machu Picchu, this year we had all booked for Antartica leaving on November 20th, unfortunately due to illness we can not make it..I cann't believe that somebody in this world has been the same places in the same year than I have been and not to know you at all. Where are you going next?...Marcia

• 2 weeks later...

We went with Lindblad on the Polaris in May 2002, adding their trip to Macchu Picchu afterwards. Lindblad is so popular, that they have added another ship, the Islander and both ships sail year round. The naturalists with Lindblad are fabulous- as Lindblad pays well and provides continuous employment with their year round sailings, they get great people working for them. May was a great time of year, from a weather standpoint. Being so close to the equator, there is not much variability in weather regardless of when you go.

Archived