Coral Gardens or Barrier Reef???

queeni

My kids-DD 10 and DS 8- and I came back from the Conquest. We booked the Buccaneer Catamaran excursion and visited Stingray sandbar and both Barrier Reef and Coral Garden. First of all my kids are like fish so they love the whole excursion.

The Barrier Reef has a lot more variety of fish. We did not follow the guide to see the moray eel and the nurse shark. The Coral Garden is not large but your kids will like it also. Check out our pictures and clips from the excursion.

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l154/MarshallNguyen/My%20Conquest%20Cruise%20August%2013-20/4-Grand%20Cayman%208-17/

Thanks singledad, that is exactly what I wanted to know. My kids love the fish but are a little scared of the stingrays. How did yours do swimming with them?

Stingray sandbar was shallow but my kids could swim (lifevest available) but it was not for swimming with stingrays. The guide got a big ray and we all gather around for photo op. While others were taking picture we did a little bit snokeling very close by. There were alot of boats and people so we stay very close to our boat. Since we had 3 stops so it was about an hour at three stops. It felt like very quick but because we had a great time.

I just posted some more clips.

Have a great time on your cruise. We did.

Which is better for snorkeling with kids (10 & 11), Coral Gardens or Barrier Reef? How deep is the water? Which has more to see?

It is proably too dangerous for kids 10 &11 because they have moral eels there.

They have large teeth, that are designed to tear flesh. They can inflict serious wounds to people

I was not worried about the moray eel nor the nurse shark at the barrier reef. The guide swam off before my kids and I could get in the water. We would follow if we could. There were plenty to see at the Reef. You-queeni- and your family will have a great time no matter where or what you do in Cayman.

I was not worried about the moray eel nor the nurse shark at the barrier reef. The guide swam off before my kids and I could get in the water. We would follow if we could. There were plenty to see at the Reef. You-queeni- and your family will have a great time no matter where or what you do in Cayman.

but couldn't you accidently kick one while you are swimming or step on one while you are swimming over the coral and get severly bitten because it thinks it is threatined

You shouldn't be concerned about eels or sharks. Capt. Bryan's coaxed the eel out of the hole for just a few minutes and the shark isn't always in the same place on the reef. Eels don't like people, they like to hide, except when their being fed. I will say this, the reef and Coral Gardens are very poor snorkeling spots. The coral is dying in both places and the Gardens has very little marine life. Going to these spots was not the bonus we thought it would be versus other Stingray City only excursions. All in all, the stingrays are the best experience. Your children can interact or not. You don't really snorkel there, you watch your crew put on a show and get involved if you wish. Lastly, we weren't impressed with Capt. Bryan's at all. Our "captain" couldn't anchor the boat making excuses about current and wind. An adjacent boat captain became very angry numerous times as the Capt. Bryan boat continued to drift into his boat. He threatened to call Capt. Bryan and get our captain fired. It took us 45 minutes at Stingray City and 30 minutes at the reef to anchor. Very unprofessional. Your first impression, at the Capt. Bryan "office", gives the flavor for the entire excursion.

Archived