Toddler Room Question

Poodlecrazy

Hi

I am in the process of considering a last minute cruise with my 3 year old toddler. We have travelled on the QE2 several times with my daughter, the first time she was under 2 so she shared with me and my mother (that was difficult due to the lack of space), more recently we had a twin for myself and daughter and an adjacent single for my mother which worked excellently and gave us somewhere to get ready in the light without disturbing a sleeping child!!!:rolleyes:

With this last minute cruise, the only cabins available are singles, they are all very close to each other, in fact two of them are down the same corridor which are the only two cabins down that corridor so effectively it is a private corridor.

Does anyone have any experience of having a toddler in their own room? REality is that it wouldn't make any real difference as the babysitter would be in my cabin and then I would be there with a monitor? It seems OK to me but I just wondered if anyone else had any experience / thoughts?

Thanks!

P

With this last minute cruise, the only cabins available are singles, they are all very close to each other, in fact two of them are down the same corridor which are the only two cabins down that corridor so effectively it is a private corridor.

Does anyone have any experience of having a toddler in their own room? REality is that it wouldn't make any real difference as the babysitter would be in my cabin and then I would be there with a monitor? It seems OK to me but I just wondered if anyone else had any experience / thoughts?

Am I reading this right? You will have 3 cabins, one for your mom, one for you and one for your 3 year old toddler? And the babysitter would be in your cabin?

Yep. As the only cabins left on the cruise we want are singles we can't have a twin and a single (which would be ideal), so we are looking at three singles, one for my mum, one for me and one for my toddler daughter. We would get the two that are next to each other for me and my daughter and the babysitter would either sit in my cabin with a monitor or in my daughter's cabin (although it seems a bit cruel to make a babysitter sit in the dark all night!

Thanks

P

I'm not sure I'm understanding this entirely correctly either. :confused: Are you saying there are only three cabins and each of the three cabins ONLY accomodate one person? If that's the case, then you've got too many people and wouldn't be able to book a second person in a room that only accomodates one, no mater which room it is. Plus I don't think you would be able to book a cabin for a three year old alone.

You would pay to have a baby sitter travel with you AND your mom in order to watch your 3 year old?? And, yeah, it does sound cruel to have a baby sitter have to sit up ALL NIGHT manning a baby moniter, no matter who's room she's in! Sheesh, the kid is three YEARS old, not three WEEKS old! And a three year old is old enough to enjoy the AO activities and you can get in room baby sitting for nights you want to enjoy some adult activity w/o her.

My apologies in advance if I have misunderstood you delimma and responded incorrectly!

Hi

We were going to use the in room babysitting (not take a babysitter with us) as my daughter tends to go to sleep at about 7 every night so although she would go to the evening club once or twice, I am sure she would need at least a couple of 'catch up' nights for which we would use in cabin babysitting, (or more correctly in cabin next door babysitting!).

This will be our fifth cruise with her so we have fully sussed out the babysitting / evening club business but we have never had her in a single cabin. The question really is more about whether a single non-interconnecting but close cabin would work for a group with toddler. We are not trying to wedge two people into a single cabin as we know that is impossible.

I know plenty of people swap and put children in cabins on their own when they get on board, but then of course there are two children not one and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of one child in their own single cabin?

Thanks

P

.....and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of one child in their own single cabin?

P

See, I think THAT'S your sticky wicket - I don't think they will ALLOW you to book a cabin for a three year old, which is what you're talking about. A toddler can't have their own cabin. Right?? :confused:

I do not know any cruise line that will allow you to book a cabin for a three year old alone, whether interconnecting or not!! In fact, I certainly hope there isn't one that would allow that!! I realize that you would never leave your child alone, but just think about what could happen?? I can't see any line taking on that liability.

You wouldn't consider checking out other ships or dates?

Good luck, that is really a sticky sitaution.

We have a 20 month old and he will be on his 3rd cruise on 12/3/06, the NCL Jewel. He will be in a room with me and Daddy though.

I hope you are able to figure something out!!

Linda

I think this is a really bad idea. I would never leave a 3 year old in a cabin by herself even if I were in the next room with a monitor. Is this cruise so important that you cannot wait and book one where you can share a cabin?

I highly doubt that Cunard will allow you to book a 3 year old in a cabin BY HERSELF! No cruise line that I have ever been on would allow you to do that. And I feel it is highly irresponsible to even consider doing this - even if you could possibly get away with it. Your child is the most precious thing in your life - you would actually consider endangering her safety just so you and your mom can cruise on this particular voyage? Wait for a time when the appropriate cabins are available. If anything happened to her, would you be able to live with your actions and decision? Be the responsible adult and book a different trip.

Thanks all for your 'kind' comments :( The travel agent has confirmed that we are able to book her into a cabin as the 'party' would contain an adult over 21 who would be responsible for her safety and wellbeing. We are now going about it a different way as my partner is an officer on the ship and we have now arranged for myself and her to stay in that cabin instead to prevent 'well minded' comments etc. As I live in a village where some people actually watch others with binoculars (yes really!!) I didn't really fancy the same treatment whilst away. :D

P

Good question! Rural Wales - very claustrophobic at times but most of the time I recognise how nice it is to live in a beautiful and safe environment. Everybody knows exactly what everybody else is doing all of the time which can get a little frustrating but you do get used to the idea of you are damned if you do and damned if you don't so I for one tend to simply do what I think is best and not worry about what others say.

Having said that it would be nice to have a holiday away from it all!!:p

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, baby monitors do work through the walls of a ship's cabin.

We had three cabins in a row once (not connected directly, but we opened the balconies between them so, in a way, they were connected). Grandparents in the middle, children (i.e. me and dh) and grandchildren on the ends.

One evening when grandma just wanted to watch the movie on TV, we were able to put our daughter to bed, with the monitor receiver in the next cabin. We made sure the balcony door was unlocked (maybe open a bit, too?) so she could get to our daughter if necessary, but dh and I were able to enjoy some time together, grandma got to watch her movie with the lights on and my daughter got to sleep in her own bed (well, pack n play).

I didn't think twice about doing it. Oh well, hindsight's 20/20 I suppose.

Archived