Pentax Optio W20 - waterproof

CSloan

Has anyone seen this camera yet? I guess it's the new version of the W10. I'm shopping for a decent waterproof camera for snorkeling. I was considering the W10, but now the W20 is out.

Any opinions how how the Pentax waterproof compares to the comparable Olympus?

Hey check out www.dpreview.com, look in the pentax forum, and do a search on the camera. The volume in the forum is huge and someone will probably have written some reviews.

Thanks for the link. No reviews yet, but it looks like people are starting to buy it. I'll keep checking the forum - didn't know about it!

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I would post this in case anyone was interested. I got the Optio W20 for upcoming cruise on 10/15. I will be sure to post when I get back, but did buy the camera on a friends recomendation. She spent the summer in St. Croix and used the W10 for snorkeling all summer. Took great under water and above water pictures with no problems. Even exceeded the 5 feet and 30 minutes and still never had a problem.

Just thought I would post this in case anyone was interested. I got the Optio W20 for upcoming cruise on 10/15. I will be sure to post when I get back, but did buy the camera on a friends recomendation. She spent the summer in St. Croix and used the W10 for snorkeling all summer. Took great under water and above water pictures with no problems. Even exceeded the 5 feet and 30 minutes and still never had a problem.

That's good to hear. I just bought the W20 for our Nov 24 cruise. I'm looking forward to see what it can do! I also bought the silicone skin to go over the camera. I figure that will help me keep a hold of it under water!

I got the silicon skin as a freebie from the place I bought the camera, but I ahven't decided if I like it yet because I can't read the buttuns throught the skin. But I had also read reveiws that people posted about getting a neoprene video ipod case as a way of being able to secure it to either your arm or your waistband while you were under water or on shore, evidently the camera is about the same size as a video ipod.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the trip and used the camera while snorkeling in Belize and while it was raining in Gautemala. Overall liked the camera, just expect that you won't be able to really see the LCD screen while underwater. You kind of have to just point the camera at what you want to take a picture of and hope it works. I did look at the Olympus as well, but with the placement on the lens in the upper corner of the camera, you would often end up with your finger in front of lens and not know it, since you can't see its screen underwater either. Camera was very easy to use. No problems with seals, was in water for over 30 minutes, briefly exceeded the 5 ft rule as well with no problems. Good pictures, but those fish do move fast, and often were swimming out of the picture. Ended up not using the silicone skin, did buy a sport video ipod case which worked out great.

Archived