Does it tender or dock?

logbook

We've just booked with Joyce too - but for our February stop. She said whether you dock or tender affects the meeting point. We're on the Serenade of the Seas and I know we actually dock, not tender.

Don't know whether it will be the same for you though.

In the month of April, I've never seen the Valor tender in. It has always been at the pier. What specific day will you be in St. Maarten. With that we can check to see how many other boats will be scheduled in port.

Thanks for your replies. We leave on the Valor on April 22, and will be in St. Martin April 26. I didn't know there was a site that shows how many other ships will be there. Do you think that information will be dependable enough to book an excursion and location? Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your replies. We leave on the Valor on April 22, and will be in St. Martin April 26. I didn't know there was a site that shows how many other ships will be there. Do you think that information will be dependable enough to book an excursion and location? Thanks for your help.

The site is www.cruisecal.com . It is pretty reliable.

You're obviously unfamiliar with the cruise calendar web site, http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn/default.aspx If you fill in your ship name and the dates of your cruise, and check the box for "include other ships in port", you can find out what ships will be in port for all of your port days. Caviat: where there are two ports close together, as in Bermuda and St. Martin, you may want to check all ports on the island for that date.

I know that CruiseCal.com exists, but I have no direct experience with it to comment on reliability or how often it is updated.

When we're on-island, I check the calendar at the Port of St. Maarten website to figure out which days to avoid going downtown. They post current and one-month-out data that I find reliable. If you wait until you're in that window, check both and see what they say.

Neither site specifically identifies if you'll dock or tender, but if there are three or fewer ships you most likely all dock. If four ships, it depends on how big they are. The Port claims a maximum capacity of 5 ships. I have no idea how they sort out things with too many ships; first arrivals? Paying the highest $ fees? No idea.

The reason that the question of dock or tender matters is that when you dock, you are at the new Cruise Facility, and when you tender you are dropped at the 'Little Pier' which is located in Downtown Philipsburg. The two are less than 3/4 of a mile apart as the crow flies, about a mile if you walk.

BUT, I hear that this question may become moot. Government is building a new floating pier near the current Water Taxi dock at the Cruise Facility. I understand that this pier may become the tendering-point for all ships that don't dock, and if you want to get to Little Pier/Downtown, you'll have to take the Water Taxi, regular taxi or walk.

The good news is that this would consolidate the departure points for tours, car rentals, etc., both ship and individually booked. The bad news is that it would add the cost of a water taxi ($5 day pass) for those who might have been tendered downtown and been content to stay there.

Time will tell, but I expect this relatively soon.

gary

re: the comment about checking both ports (the other here would be Marigot) I can't see why that would have anything to do with docking or tendering. Marigot is on the opposite side of the island.

Wow Gary, what a ton of info you just posted!!! I'm not really sure what to tell Joyce about where she should meet us now. I imagine everyone that uses Joyce has to give her an answer....... and now I wonder how the heck they know what to tell her! I guess I will tell her we will be docking, and just keep an eye on all the information I can when it gets closer! Maybe things will be much clearer when April gets a LOT closer. If it's only a mile difference, I'm sure she can change the pick up, or we can walk to her. Thanks again, Gary.

What Joyce wants to know is the whether to meet you at the cruise terminal or the tender drop off point. Since you will be at the pier she'll tell you where to meet just outside the cruise terminal gate. No walking for any distance is necessary.

I suggest you spend your time on what you want to see and do at St. Maarten and not worry about where Joyce will meet you.

Archived