shore tours/ abedee island

linniee

I would like to do some sight seeing on the shores that are not so touristy I guess I would say, has anyone done the abedee island tour and was it worth its money or better just to stay on the main island and do something there? I would be interested to hear what tours others have taken and what they thought of them. I am looking at Noumea, Vila and hienghene. I love things that display an areas culture and history. I enjoy markets where you can buy authentic items made my locals. What about the people who have gone it alone without doing any tours, has it been difficult to navigate your ways around these islands? I also seen that on Noumea I think it was there is a diving tour where you wear the old fashioned barrel head gear and walk under the waterr with the fish, has anyone done that? I ask a lot of questions don't I? *L*

Thanks

Linniee

Not many more sleeps to go.:D

I would like to do some sight seeing on the shores that are not so touristy I guess I would say, has anyone done the abedee island tour and was it worth its money or better just to stay on the main island and do something there? I would be interested to hear what tours others have taken and what they thought of them. I am looking at Noumea, Vila and hienghene. I love things that display an areas culture and history. I enjoy markets where you can buy authentic items made my locals. What about the people who have gone it alone without doing any tours, has it been difficult to navigate your ways around these islands? I also seen that on Noumea I think it was there is a diving tour where you wear the old fashioned barrel head gear and walk under the waterr with the fish, has anyone done that? I ask a lot of questions don't I? *L*

Thanks

Linniee

Not many more sleeps to go.:D

Linniee, I think you mean Amedee Island! I haven't been there but my partner has - in Fair Princess day's Amedee was a port of call on some cruises. Apparently it's beautiful, but apart from the light house and the beach there's not much there. But the day trip from Noumea would be nice - you'd see a bit of scenery on the crusie to and from.

Also in Noumea - the Myth of Kanak Culture is also good, as is Le Petite Train.

If you like history and Culture, the Ekasup Cultural Village tour would be a good one - haven't done it myself, but heard lots of good reports about it on our last cruise.

The markets that are set up at the Wharf at Vila are good.

Kym

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Linniee

We have just been to Amedee Island on N627.

We loved the island & found plenty to do.

After very rough seas from Noumea & 45mins approx of travel time the Mary D arrived at the island.

We joined the first tour in the glass bottom boat (you could also snorkel on this trip on the reef).

Next up we went out for the reef shark feeding again was very rough but did see some large fish.

The islanders put on a great lunch, dancing & singing.

After lunch (which was fantastic) there was a coconut tree climbing demonstration, sarong tying & coconut grating - you could also go out in the glass bottom boat or reef shark feeding again if you missed out in the morning.

On the afternoon the people in the glass bottom boat also saw turtles.

My hubby & son climbed the lighthouse while I tried my hand at snorkelling again - I seem to have become a water baby!!!!

There are quite a few sea snakes on the island you need only to look out for them - they are not aggressive.

The sun came out around mid morning (just about the first time for several days) & the day turned out great & we enjoyed our time on the island heaps & had a much calmer trip back to the main land.

Even the people who were sea sick on the way over enjoyed the days stay.

We would also recommend the Ekasup Cultural Village in Vila for adults & kids. It was interesting & entertaining.

Look out for my review which I hope to write in the next few days.

Enjoy Deb (I wish I was still there!!!)

Archived